Smoky Fish Tacos with Cilantro Lime Crema

fish_tacos

My favorite tacos are those composed of ground beef, a packet of taco seasoning laced with mass amounts of MSG, Ortega crunchy taco shells, cheese, sour cream, and shredded iceberg lettuce- specifically the ones my mother sets under the broiler until the cheese melts into the ground beef and the taco shells begin to freckle. None of the ingredients in these beef numbers should exceed $5.99.

But fish tacos are a close second. Mostly because they’re outrageously fresh-tasting with a real juicy, delicate bite. They just feel healthy. But also because

they remind me of last summer when I dined on the waterfront in Seattle with Camille, just before we kayaked into a *barge on Lake Union.

*Only the barge retained its dignity.

baked_cod-12

The flaky white fish in these corn tortillas is soaked in the flavors of smoked paprika and cumin. I love the addition of cilantro lime crema for the way it cools down the heat of cayenne pepper. Cabbage adds crunch and color.

For the best flavor, eat them outside- preferably in drenching humidity with a mosquito halo.

vegetables-6

¼ cup fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon cumin
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
3 cloves garlic, minced
½ teaspoon salt
1 lb white fish (cod, snapper, halibut, tilapia)
2 tablespoons oil

Remaining Ingredients:
8 small white corn tortillas
salsa fresca
finely shredded red cabbage
finely chopped cilantro
guacamole

Stir all crema ingredients in a small bowl to combine. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.

Whisk lime juice, paprika, cumin, cayenne, garlic, and salt. Place fish in a shallow bowl and pour the lime spice sauce evenly over the top, flipping the fish to be sure all sides are coated. Let the fish marinate for 20 minutes in the refrigerator.

Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 tablespoons oil and swirl to coat the pan. Place the fish and the sauce into the pan and allow to cook for 3 minutes undisturbed. Flip and cook an additional 3 minutes. Remove the pan from heat and without removing the fish from the pan, flake it with a fork. S

Serve the fish in the corn tortillas with salsa, cabbage, crema, guacamole, and fresh cilantro.

serves 4

Photo source: Foodistablog

Comments

1. says

Oh these do look absolutely, utterly delicious. I can just picture biting into one at an outdoor lunch party underneath the sunshine and light breeze whilst sipping a tall glass of sparkling lemon water. Oh goodness I can’t wait for summer. And I’ve just bookmarked this recipe to make the first day it’s above 75 degrees here :)

2. Louise says

That’s dinner sorted then! Looks like an amazing recipe and fish tacos are virtually unheard of in the UK so you’ve broadened my culinary horizons today!! :)

3. Jennifer Young says

I’m not usually a fish taco fan, but, wow. These look amazing. I recently discovered smoked paprika and I love it. Can’t wait to try these, thanks for the recipe.

4. SueP says

I made these last night and they were outstanding. That crema is to die for. Or to live for. Whatever, they’re going into my rotation! Thanks!

5. Liz says

I am making these today for lunch! I also wanted to thank you so much for your blog. It seems like everytime I read it, it is the PERFECT thing I need. I just finished 30 days of eating 100% raw vegan, and I felt terrific, lost 12.5 lbs, and had way more energy. Now I am struggling whether to stay raw, or find a happy medium. This post was perfect. I love food and I love to eat. I love my sister’s fresh made scones and juicy burger and greasy fries. I still have weight to lose and I still have to be careful lest I lose control in a binge that has me emptying my cupboards into my throat. I don’t have things figured out for myself yet, but you have given me hope that one day I will find a way to include the things I love and the benefits of a healthy body.

6. says

I’m back:) I am sitting on the couch, stuffed to the gills. I made the fish tacos and they were FANTASTIC! My family and I were in such a hurry to dig in we completely forgot the cabbage. Ah well, I am sure it won’t be long before we make them again.
    Thanks so much for such a fresh, light, delicious recipe.

7. Jan Marrah says

I made a few changes to make them more healthy – no oil to cook the fish and Greek yogurt instead of the sour cream and no salt. They were wonderful! Thank you for sharing.

8. says

God Morning! I wanted to let you know that I featured this deliciousness in my “What I Bookmarked This Week” post – stop by and see if you have a minute.

9. says

I made these tonight for dinner, and while they looked like a big old mess, they tasted great. I’m going to reheat the other half for dinner tomorrow. Looking forward to them again.

10. V says

made these for dinner tonight and they were AMAZING! the cilantro lime crema is the bomb. even my four year old loved the *fish; he ate his with some plain brown basmati rice (*we omitted the cayenne pepper).

keri: salsa fresca is literally ‘fresh salsa’ (as opposed to say salsa in a jar – although that works quite well too, it’s what we had on hand tonight :)

11. Katie P says

Good golly miss molly! I made these for dinner tonight and my boyfriend could not stop waxing poetic about how good they were. Thanks for the recipe, in the words of my handsome “this is a keeper!”

12. Liz says

These were the second most fantastic things I ever made. THANK YOU for the recipe. I’ll never be able to order fish tacos again, knowing I can MAKE them like THIS!!!!

13. Heather says

Made these last night and they were fantastic! I shredded some apple and tossed it on the tacos too. Thanks for this!

Trackbacks