Slow Cooked Beef and Mango Quesadillas

by Andie Mitchell on May 20, 2012

slow cooker beef quesadilla-2

Sweet mango slices. Smoky barbecue beef. Sharp cheddar cheese.

Melted.

slow cooker beef quesadilla-3

slow cooker beef quesadilla-4

Slow Cooked Beef and Mango Quesadillas

2 lbs top of the round beef roast

1 cup barbecue sauce

4 large whole wheat tortillas

1 large mango, peeled and thinly sliced

1 small red onion, very thinly sliced

1 cup sharp cheddar cheese

Directions:

1. Combine beef and barbecue sauce in slow cooker. Cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 6 hours. When done, shred the meat by pulling against the grain of the meat with two forks.

2. To assemble the quesadillas: On one half of each tortilla, spread 1/2 cup beef, 1/4 of the mango, 1/4 of the red onion, and 1/4 cup cheese. Fold the empty half over the filled half and either place on a lightly oiled grill or frying pan for 2-3 minutes per side, until the cheese melts.

*Note: You will have beef left over.

makes 4 quesadillas

Maura @ My Healthy 'Ohana May 20, 2012 at 10:50 pm

I just made some BBQ chicken in the crockpot this weekend and your quesadillas look so good, I’m definitely going to try it tomorrow night :) Thanks!

hungryandfrozen May 21, 2012 at 4:51 am

I’m going to remember this for summer when the mangoes are at their cheapest (even then not that cheap, damn you NZ climate) Sounds brilliant, and brilliantly simple.

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh May 21, 2012 at 5:24 am

I’m mango obsessed right now so this recipe is right on cue.

Steph Erin May 21, 2012 at 7:37 am

This sounds amazing, a little tip for shredding meat- if you have a stand mixer (Kitchenaid) throw the warm meat in it with the paddle attachment in about 1 min all of you meat will be beautifully shredded- it has been a life changer for me

Lindsay May 30, 2012 at 8:30 am

I do the same thing with my chicken never thought about doing it with beef…great idea for pulled beef or pork!!!

Bee (Quarter Life Crisis Cuisine) May 21, 2012 at 9:03 am

Ohhh this sounds so very, very amazing :) I love fruit in savory things. A nice sub for the usual coleslaw I dump on anything BBQ’d!

Melissa @ SquatsandSquash May 21, 2012 at 9:26 am

excuse me while I wipe the DROOL off of my chin. These look UNbelievably yummy! Can’t wait to try.

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts May 21, 2012 at 9:27 am

YUM!! What an interesting combination, sounds so good!

Alison T May 21, 2012 at 9:33 am

doesn’t the bbq sauce burn in the slow cooker? At least it has in mine… interesting recipe!

Jenny May 21, 2012 at 3:45 pm

I’m excited to try this. I LOVE mango in quesadillas. Have you ever been to Agua Verde in the U-District and had their mangodilla? It’s one of my favorite foods ever.

cait May 21, 2012 at 3:49 pm

i just have to say i love your way with words when describing food :) you truly make me feel as though i’m having a torrid, powerful, passionate affair with merely imagining taking a bite of such glorious creations… i simply love it :) thank you!

Emily @ I'd Rather Walk May 21, 2012 at 6:06 pm

Oh my yum! This looks amazing…I am trying to stay away from red meat but I wonder what I could replace the beef with? Duck? That is definitely too ambitious for me but man, I need to find a way to explore this recipe.

Andrea May 22, 2012 at 8:49 am

I literally just salivated. What kind of tortilla is that?

Tracy {Pale Yellow} May 22, 2012 at 5:41 pm

I can’t wait to make this! I love the sweet and spicy and cheesiness of this recipe!

Coni Otto August 20, 2012 at 9:22 am

wow, looks great, will give it a go… Thanks

danielle January 30, 2013 at 3:27 pm

how many calories?? do any of your recipes have calories?

Angie March 7, 2013 at 12:35 pm

I’m making this for supper! My daughter is allergic to beef, so I am using a pork roast. Can’t wait to try it.

galena March 10, 2013 at 5:53 pm

These look delicious! I’m concerned about 2 lb of meat for 4 quesadillas? Is this correct?

Andie March 10, 2013 at 7:12 pm

Hey Galena,

Thanks for your comment! I should have noted this above: You will have beef left over since you only use 1/2 cup of the shredded meat in each quesadilla. The reason I called for 2 lbs is because most beef roasts are sold in portions that weigh at least 2 lbs and up.

Sony March 19, 2013 at 8:19 am

It’s in the crock pot now!!