Slow Cooked Beef and Mango Quesadillas

slow cooker beef quesadilla-2

Sweet mango slices. Smoky barbecue beef. Sharp cheddar cheese.

Melted.

slow cooker beef quesadilla-3

slow cooker beef quesadilla-4

Slow Cooked Beef and Mango Quesadillas

2 lbs top of the round beef roast

1 cup barbecue sauce

4 large whole wheat tortillas

1 large mango, peeled and thinly sliced

1 small red onion, very thinly sliced

1 cup sharp cheddar cheese

Directions:

1. Combine beef and barbecue sauce in slow cooker. Cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 6 hours. When done, shred the meat by pulling against the grain of the meat with two forks.

2. To assemble the quesadillas: On one half of each tortilla, spread 1/2 cup beef, 1/4 of the mango, 1/4 of the red onion, and 1/4 cup cheese. Fold the empty half over the filled half and either place on a lightly oiled grill or frying pan for 2-3 minutes per side, until the cheese melts.

*Note: You will have beef left over.

makes 4 quesadillas

Comments

1. says

I’m going to remember this for summer when the mangoes are at their cheapest (even then not that cheap, damn you NZ climate) Sounds brilliant, and brilliantly simple.

2. Steph Erin says

This sounds amazing, a little tip for shredding meat- if you have a stand mixer (Kitchenaid) throw the warm meat in it with the paddle attachment in about 1 min all of you meat will be beautifully shredded- it has been a life changer for me

• Lindsay says

I do the same thing with my chicken never thought about doing it with beef…great idea for pulled beef or pork!!!

3. Alison T says

doesn’t the bbq sauce burn in the slow cooker? At least it has in mine… interesting recipe!

4. says

I’m excited to try this. I LOVE mango in quesadillas. Have you ever been to Agua Verde in the U-District and had their mangodilla? It’s one of my favorite foods ever.

5. cait says

i just have to say i love your way with words when describing food :) you truly make me feel as though i’m having a torrid, powerful, passionate affair with merely imagining taking a bite of such glorious creations… i simply love it :) thank you!

6. says

Oh my yum! This looks amazing…I am trying to stay away from red meat but I wonder what I could replace the beef with? Duck? That is definitely too ambitious for me but man, I need to find a way to explore this recipe.

7. Angie says

I’m making this for supper! My daughter is allergic to beef, so I am using a pork roast. Can’t wait to try it.

• Andie says

Hey Galena,

Thanks for your comment! I should have noted this above: You will have beef left over since you only use 1/2 cup of the shredded meat in each quesadilla. The reason I called for 2 lbs is because most beef roasts are sold in portions that weigh at least 2 lbs and up.

Trackbacks