Tulum, Mexico

tulum 077

tulum 083

tulum 060

tulum 012

tulum 011

isla mujeres tulum 145

Where we stayed: The Weary Traveler, roughly $10 USD a night. Offers free breakfast, free purified drinking water, WiFi, air conditioned private rooms or dormitories, free shuttle to the beach- approx. 10 minutes away.

Where we ate: El Camello, Antojitos La Chiapaneca (order the tacos all pastor for 50 cents each)

What I thought of Tulum: This isn’t a place I’d revisit. Though the beach is beautiful with white sand and pale turquoise water, it’s not as magnificent, as picturesque, as the waters of Cancun or Isla Mujeres (the best). The Mayan ruins on the beach are interesting to see, but other than that, the town offers little in the way of nightlife and activity. Day trips from here are what make it worthwhile: I recommend one to Chichen Itza to see the ruins of the Mayan mega city ($55 USD for tour of city, swim in the cenote, and lunch. 9am-6pm), and another to snorkel and swim in the cenotes (fresh water pools)- $55 USD for 4 hours.

Below are photos from a day trip to Chichen Itza.

tulum 056

tulum 055

tulum 053

Shelley May 29, 2012 at 1:22 am

these pictures are gorgeous!!!! (even if you wouldn’t necessarily go back). I’m jealous of the beach.. I’m in Australia for the semester and it is actually getting cold this time of year :(

Valeria May 29, 2012 at 6:53 am

Here in Chile it’s Autumn, too. I SO miss the Summer!!!

Brenda May 29, 2012 at 2:25 am

I spent a semester in the Yucatan in the mid 90′s. These pictures being back so many memories!

Bailey @ Onederland or Bust! May 29, 2012 at 4:45 am

I spent a day in Tulum and it was very pretty, but that was enough for me. Play del Carmen is a great little place and tons of nightlife! Akumal was by far my favourite spot to visit and it’s only about 10 minutes (maybe?) from Tulum.

B @ crags and veggies May 29, 2012 at 5:35 am

So beautiful pictures! Absolutely gorgeous! Also, haha, the bathroom signs are hilarious!

Melissa @ SquatsandSquash May 29, 2012 at 6:22 am

I’ve always wanted to visit Isla Mujeres!! And Mexico is so affordable right now…love your adventurous spirit!!!

Valeria May 29, 2012 at 6:52 am

Wow! What lovely photographs!

The restroom signs are so hilarious and cute :D

By the way, the name of the dish is “tacos al pastor” (I’m Spanish native ;)

I hope you continue to have a great time in Mexico.

Regards from Chile,
Valeria

Bee (Quarter Life Crisis Cuisine) May 29, 2012 at 7:53 am

SO jealous of your travels but SO happy for you too! I cannot wait until your book comes out :)

Amanda V May 29, 2012 at 7:55 am

ahh estoy celosa!! chichen itza es mi lugar favorito.. quiero regresar.. :)

Trisha May 29, 2012 at 8:02 am

I couldn’t agree more. Tulum has a gorgeous beach & the ruins are cool to see once, but the town itself has very little to offer. That being said, I just legit open-mouth drooled over that ceviche!

Amandine May 30, 2012 at 1:08 am

Andie, I’m writing a literary thesis right now about Mexico and am having a tough go of getting through it; thank-you for your encouraging photos of Mexico! They add a little bit of sunshine to this dreary writing :)

Maryellen Loiacono May 31, 2012 at 6:58 am

Andrea,

I am panic stricken, I have not been able to talk to you for 2 weeks and I can’t stand it!!!!!! Call me from your cell phone, you have service from Belize set up by PJ. I miss you too badly.
Love,
Ma

amip June 1, 2012 at 4:47 am

Andie’s mom:

have you heard from her? i look for updates to her site reguarly..and since she hasn’t posted for a few days…I start to worry too…and I’m not her Mom!

please let us know if you have heard from her.

Andie, I just hope you are just having too much of a great time to update!

Michelle May 31, 2012 at 7:24 pm

Just got back from a WONDERFUL, yet very short, trip to Belize! We were in San Pedro, and loved being able to walk all over the town. Be sure to go to Hol Chan and Shark Ray Alley for snorkeling… amazing sights and bragging rights that you dove in with sharks! If you are heading to the island, heads up, food can get expensive… not sure about mainland. Happy (and safe) travels!