Grocery List

Vegetables

For salads (How to Make a Delicious 400 Calorie Salad):
romaine lettuce
grape tomatoes
carrots
cucumber
red and green bell pepper
red cabbage

For dinner veggie sides
broccoli crowns (roast them please)
cauliflower (Parmesan Mashed Cauliflower or Curried Cauliflower with Sweet Peas)
frozen peas
frozen corn
sweet potatoes
white potatoes

Fruit

For one large fruit salad:
pineapple (fresh and frozen)
cantaloupe
watermelon
green grapes
strawberries
blueberries

Meat/Eggs/Poultry/Dairy

2 dozen large brown eggs (hard boiled for breakfasts and midday snacks)
2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast (to be marinated and grilled)
2 lbs pork tenderloin (to be put in slow cooker for Slow Cooker Pulled Pork)
1-2 lbs extra lean ground beef (to be made into Honey Barbecue Meatloaf or burgers)
2% greek yogurt (Fage brand almost exclusively) or lowfat cottage cheese
1% milk
Extra firm tofu
Feta cheese

Beverages

1 lb Starbucks Verona or Peet’s Sumatra ground coffee
Coffeemate Lowfat Creamer
12-pack of cans of naturally flavored seltzer water (brands: Polar, Adirondack)
12-pack of diet soda (Diet Coke, Diet Dr. Pepper, Diet A&W Root Beer, Fresca)
Sugar free lemonade mix (single drink serving size- any brand)
*Note about sugar free/diet beverages: I don’t love the crazy ingredients, I don’t love the artificiality, I wouldn’t even recommend anyone drink them regularly because only God knows what they’re doing to my insides. But I can’t help it; I love them.

Starches

Old fashioned rolled oats (for the best 300 calorie bowl of oatmeal or Chewy Cherry Almond Granola Bars)
Kellogg’s Frosted Mini Wheats
*Note about starches: We purchase very few grains/starches not because we’re haters, but because lunches are salads and dinner sides usually include a white or sweet potato- mashed, baked, or roasted. We’re potato loving fools, but other grains deserve love, too: brown rice, quinoa, pasta (for PJ’s Spaghetti and My Favorite Meatballs)

Snacks/Dessert/Etc

Salted, roasted nuts: cashews and almonds
Haagen Dazs vanilla ice cream (the best of the traditionally stocked grocery store brands)
Stonyfield Frozen Yogurt
Bonne Maman strawberry preserves
Teddy or Smucker’s brand All Natural Creamy Peanut Butter
Marshmallow fluff

iPhoneograhy 036

You’re up! What are your grocery staples? Any favorite products that I should check out?

Janna August 5, 2012 at 8:15 pm

Bananas, spinach, peanut butter & skim milk for smoothies!!!!

Sarah August 5, 2012 at 8:19 pm

I love broccoli slaw! I beef up my salads, use it in place of pasta, stirfry it up. So versatile. Oooh, and don’t forget spinach for smoothies!

Andie August 6, 2012 at 11:51 am

Brocc slaw is a FAVORITE of mine!

Randy Chong August 5, 2012 at 8:22 pm

Bananas (to be sliced and frozen), oatmeal (ground in blender), skim milk and peanut butter for smoothies. Red or yellow potatoes for roasting. Black beans and corn (frozen or canned) to add to summer salads. Salsa — for everything!

Liz August 5, 2012 at 10:16 pm

Sometimes cottage cheese is a nice staple to add to the salad instead of meat. I like it also used as a dip for bbq PopChips as a snack with a little protein.
EGGS! I’m totally into eggs for breakfast lately. I used to do oats EVERY SINGLE MORN, but it’s so hot now the oats just don’t sound good.
Agreement about the diet sodas. I know they’re not good for me. But I’m trying to be moderate and my life is just a bit better with them. Whoops.

IdaBaker August 6, 2012 at 12:37 am

Adding frozen corn and peas to my list. I love having these on hand just to toss into various dishes I might make.

Thanks for the reminder!!

nancy August 6, 2012 at 1:55 am

Japanese rice crackers, the big white round ones especially. Better than any chip and lower in cals/fat.

nancy August 6, 2012 at 1:57 am

Oops, forgot frozen edamame. Love you Andie!

Dorothy Gardner August 6, 2012 at 4:38 am

I went shopping yesterday until the heat got the best of me..I’ll finish it today…
Started at the farmers’ market…red and purple bell peppers and poblano peppers, heirloom tomatoes and cherry tomatoes, romaine lettuce
other veggies…portobello mushrooms, coleslaw mix

meats…bone-in chicken breast, chicken Italian sausage, ground turkey, chobani yogurts, lite swiss cheese

beverages..I’m lucky to have a boyfriend that works for Polar, and we get a nice discount on their soda..I love love love their seltzers..favorite flavor of the moment? mint mojito

still to buy…red potatoes, sweet potatoes, summer and zucchini squashes, and a few staples

Jennifer August 6, 2012 at 5:36 am

A big bag of kale, a log of goat cheese, fuji or gala apples, meat, fish, and a veggie dish for every night of the week, and untold amounts of other vegetables. Something different for a salad every week, like arugula, spinach, or romaine…or a mix. Black beans, white beans, garbonzo beans, soybeans. So easy to throw on a salad with goat cheese and be set for lunch!

And my new favorite discovery? Trader Joe’s Corn and Chile salsa. Oh…my…God. This stuff is ah-ma-zing. So good on salad, too. And tacos. And eggs. I have to get a jar every time I go to Trader Joe’s now. It’s a sick addiction, but totally worth it.

Kathy White August 6, 2012 at 6:44 am

Marshmallow Fluff? When we were kids my mum used to make fluffernutter sandwiches – and I thought these would be totally evil when weight watching?

Andie August 6, 2012 at 11:50 am

Kathy, true: fluff isn’t even close to health food but I love peanut butter and fluff together almost as much as I love Leonardo DiCaprio so I make it work :)

Julia @ cookandburn.com August 6, 2012 at 7:31 am

I always buy non fat plain yogurt (to mix with cereal or to bake with), Fiber One Original, puffed wheat cereal, apples, bananas, grapes, seasonal fruit, light bread, Unsweetened Almond Milk (either Almond Breeze or Silk) and eggs–those are staples that I must have on hand at all times.

anita August 7, 2012 at 5:42 am

I put a few drops of mango/peach Mio in unsweetened coconut almond milk. Very tropically tasty.

Anne B August 6, 2012 at 7:32 am

Dreamfields pasta-recommended by my nurse practitioner-lower carb and delicious!

Tamara August 6, 2012 at 7:53 am

Musts:
Baby spinach (for salads, sandwiches, smoothies)
Bananas (for snacks and to freeze when ripe for the aforementioned smoothies)
apples
bell peppers
sugar snap peas
eggs
Chobani plain 0% Greek yogurt
tempeh
lean ground beef and/or turkey and barilla whole grain pasta for various dinners
quinoa and couscous for various lunches
coconut milk (for smoothies and overnight oats)
almond milk (for tea)
rooibos (herbal tea; I don’t do caffeine)
caffeine-free diet coke

Tamara August 6, 2012 at 7:54 am

Oh yes, and beans, usually black and my favorite, garbanzo. I usually use canned but just bought a bag of dried… I’m hoping to get the hang of it!

Violet August 6, 2012 at 8:01 am

Zucchini (which I love with a love beyond understanding), Jazz or Honeycrisp apples when in season, and good, really sharp cheddar cheese.

My cart would include a six-pack of 24 oz. bottles of diet Pepsi. I have cut way down on soda but I just can’t quit it! (12- or 24-packs are cheaper but I often didn’t drink a whole can and I realized I was dumping a lot of flat soda. With the bottles, I can pour out as much as I want and put the rest back in the fridge.)

My favorite food these days is Terra sweet potato chips. (Plain, please – the “spiced” flavor tastes like feet.) 160 cals/serving, no salt added, 3g fiber, and the delicious, sweet-and-almost-burned flavor I love.

Tamara August 6, 2012 at 8:25 am

I’m with you, Violet. I’ve cut down on the diet soda as well, but can’t quite ditch it completely!

Liz August 6, 2012 at 8:08 am

How sad to make a shopping list that relies not at all on what’s in season.

Andie August 6, 2012 at 11:47 am

Liz, you’re right. I want to try to make more of an effort to eat seasonally

Beth August 6, 2012 at 2:58 pm

I’m going more and more off the deep end with trying to eat locally and it’s really changed the way I approach menu planning. This past spring I realized I’ve become completely incapable of menu planning and grocery shopping from scratch, so to speak, because I’m so used to working with what’s available from local sources. So, I have to admit this post makes me wistful for the seeming ease of going to the grocery store and loading up my cart with whatever I feel like eating. :)

To clarify, I’m not a purist! I live in Wisconsin and there’s not a lot of local fruit available. I’ve bought my share of fruits shipped in from California, bananas, and even Clementines from Spain. Just today I bought a head of Romain because salad’s from Swiss Chard are getting old.

Caroline August 8, 2012 at 9:44 am

I used to be obsessed with being local, but you can’t buy everything you need locally at all times. It is still very important to me, but I think it’s a balance. Andee, I LOVE this site!

Robin August 6, 2012 at 8:10 am

Is this a weeks worth of groceries or a couple weeks?

Andie August 6, 2012 at 11:48 am

This will feed four of us for two weeks

Canadian Sunshine August 12, 2012 at 7:26 pm

WOW!! Two weeks?? I am so envious, I am the mother of two 6 ft teenagers… I bought a similar list today and know I will be back at the store within the week… I bought exta meet, probably enough for a few weeks, but not gonna make it with anything else!! And… my bill was OVER $200!

Aubrey August 6, 2012 at 8:48 am

Veggies and fruit as far as the eye can see! I have no problem getting enough veggies, but geedangit, why does a bag of organic spinach have to cost my future first-born’s college tuition? I spent $100 yesterday and it’ll be gone in a week. :(

Suzi Balleisen August 6, 2012 at 8:49 am

Thank you for sharing your list, and of course the recipes. I will be making that pulled pork soon!
Favorites at our house include: hummus, Persian cucumbers, salsa, crumbled goat cheese (great in salads), and garlic always makes my list.

Destinie August 6, 2012 at 9:01 am

I have a soft spot for diet soda as well! Lately I’ve been going through a grape phase. And I always have to have granny smith apples. Tortillas are a life saver when you’re in a pinch.

Kati Mora, MS, RD, Kellogg's FiberPlus(R) Wellness Advocate August 6, 2012 at 9:23 am

What a fun list! I see many great fiber-rich options in there too. Love it!

Annie B August 6, 2012 at 9:46 am

Raspberries
Limes
Lamb steaks
Uncured turkey hotdogs
Pork sirloin steaks
Jerky
Granola bars for the kiddos

Katy Brannen August 6, 2012 at 10:13 am

I like everything you have! I’m moving this week, so I’m going to print this off to stock my new kitchen. :) A few additions…

Avocados!! To go with pretty much anything.
Carrots & celery with lowfat cream cheese & salsa
Ezekiel bread & peanut butter (one of my favorite protein-packed breakfasts…I add sliced banana and honey when I have time)
Tilapia &/or salmon
Quinoa is my starch of choice, like you mentioned
Angel food cake with strawberries & light Cool Whip (my favorite summertime dessert)

Carole August 6, 2012 at 11:16 am

Really trying to give up diet sodas, but if I drink one with dinner I get full so much faster!

Lowfat hazelnut creamer is WONDERFUL on oatmeal–almost tastes like dessert.

100%H August 6, 2012 at 12:15 pm

Homemade turkey jerkey from my local meat market.

Emily August 6, 2012 at 12:22 pm

I saw that you put tofu in your cart. I’m always looking for new recipes with tofu. I couldn’t find any under your recipe link. Any recommendations?

Russanne August 6, 2012 at 2:13 pm

Love the list! Thanks for posting.

Beth August 6, 2012 at 3:32 pm

After my comment above about eating locally I thought I should mention something else. Over the next month a staple in our house will be a salad made with your Lemon Parmesan Vinaigrette. Halved cherry tomatoes, chopped red, yellow, and orange bell peppers (or whatever we have) and raw corn cut off the cobb. Toss with the dressing and place on a bed of shredded chard or spinach. Tonight I’m replacing the tomatoes with sauteed zucchini because it’s what I have on hand.

YUM!

cate August 6, 2012 at 3:37 pm

Hi, Andie! I love your blog so much! My favorite recipes of yours are your many salad ones. I was wondering, since summer is almost over, what do you like to do in the fall and winter for salads? I feel less inspired to eat salads in these seasons, when produce is less abundant. Any favorite vegetables or add-ins for this time of year?

Lauren C August 6, 2012 at 3:44 pm

You MUST try Smartfood brand chips. The garlic tomato basil hummus popped chips (wow that’s a mouthful!) are out of this world..and that’s coming from someone that doesn’t like chips.

Also, I like tempeh. I make chili with it to mix things up a bit!

M August 6, 2012 at 7:07 pm

Hey! not sure you’ve done this before or not, but since you put together a grocery list, it would be cool (if its not too personal) if you put together a sort of “meal schedule” showing how you use each of the items throughout the week- even if you don’t go by a schedule, but just write down what you ate after a specific week. I love your lists, i just wonder how i can apply each item to each meal throughout the week :)

Sara August 6, 2012 at 7:39 pm

Triscuits, cabot 50% reduced fat cheddar, and hummus are always in my house. And I am not a diet soda or soda drinker, but I DO like a nice wine, sauvignon blanc in the summer, and pinot noir in the winter :)

cheesemissile August 6, 2012 at 10:31 pm

It’s more expensive, but 0-calorie soda made with stevia is much healthier than the aspartame in diet sodas.

Angie August 6, 2012 at 10:35 pm

wraps, Philly light cream cheese, cucumbers, smoked salmon, grapefruit, berries, almonds, hummus, baby spinach, feta cheese, baby carrots, hardboiled eggs, Skyr (the Icelandic version of Greek yogurt), high fiber cereal to mix into the Skyr, lean ultra thin deli-sliced turkey breast, asparagus, colored bell peppers, quinoa, brown rice, dark chocolate, skim milk, chocolate soy milk, tangerines, shrimp, popcorn, tuna packed in water, cilantro, cantaloupe, Fage 0%, Trader Joe natural peanut butter with flaxseeds, Trader Joe harvest grain blend, broccoli

Angie August 6, 2012 at 10:37 pm

I forgot lemon ginger gnu bars and Clif Kid fruit wraps!

Katie P August 7, 2012 at 8:24 am

I love Skyr, especially the orange ginger, wish it wasn’t so expensive though.

Katie August 8, 2012 at 9:07 pm

Loving this list–yummy cheeses, healthy protiens, lots of produce, and a shout-out to TJ’s: perfection!

anita pierson August 7, 2012 at 5:34 am

Baba Ghanoush (eggplant dip) spread on french bread or pita. Hard boiled eggs sliced up in a salad.

Ana August 7, 2012 at 6:25 am

I definitely always get Chobani yogurt. The Strawberry Banana and Apple Cinnamon are particularly delicious.
BUT, more importantly, I found a recipe for amazing pancakes made by mixing one container of Chobani, one egg, half a cup of flour, a teaspoon of Baking Soda, and a dash of milk. Of course, adding mashed banana, cinnamon, and vanilla make it extra heavenly. :)

TJ August 7, 2012 at 6:52 am

Espresso roast coffee beans, half and half, and hershey’s syrup = Iced Americano with two tablespoons of hershey’s and a splash of cream. It makes my world go-round. :)

Kayte August 7, 2012 at 7:56 am

I just bought the Fiber Plus Coconut Caramel granola bars for the first time this week. Only 130 cals in each one and tons of fiber for those late afternoon snack needs. Plus, they taste like a Samoa Girl Scout cookie!!! Oh heavens!

The staples on my list every two weeks (because that’s how often I need to go shopping) are:

Zucchini
Carrots
Baby Sweet Bell Peppers
Sugar Snap Peas
Yellow neck squash
Cherry tomatoes
Light String cheese
Crackers of some sort
Lunch meat of some sort.

That’s pretty much my lunch every day. Plus, whatever fruit looks good for snacks and then whatever else I want for dinners. Every once in a while I buy lean cuisines or lean hot pockets to break up the monotony of lunch meat/cheese/crackers.

Kati Mora, MS, RD, Kellogg's FiberPlus(R) Wellness Advocate August 21, 2012 at 7:24 am

Love that you gave a Kellogg’s FiberPlus bar a chance! The Caramel Coconut Fudge bar is definitely one of my favorites – so good and full of fiber! A win win!

Tara August 7, 2012 at 8:13 am

peppers, onions, potatoes, corn, broccoli, lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, berries, spinach, carrots, Atheno hummus, salsa, TJ’s greek yogurt, eggs, 1% milk, chicken, ground meat (tacos always!), canned tomatoes

dena August 7, 2012 at 8:34 am

we LOVE sugar free cool whip and fruits!!

Ann August 7, 2012 at 9:29 am

Bananas
Plain 0% Chobani greek yogurt with tons of berries to mix in
La Croix Sparkling water (usually coconut or peach-pear flavored!I drink this to offset my cravings for Diet Soda. Sometimes it works, but other times I just NEED that diet dr. pepper!)
Trader Joe’s Cinnamon Almonds (great for an after dinner treat!)

Morgan August 7, 2012 at 12:28 pm

Definitely try some Greek gods cherry honey yogurt! It’s my equivalent of a 300 calorie dessert…but ohsoworthit.

I love Whole Food’s Allegro espresso. Can’t live without some “veggie” fries, Quorn’s gruyere “chicken” patties, or packaged dry pesto and tomato paste to add to veggie sautés.

Blue Diamond’s salt and vinegar almonds? So hard to find but my version of Poor Brother’s salt and vinegar chips.

Katie P August 8, 2012 at 11:32 am

I love the Quorn’s gruyere “chicken” patties, I always try to stock up when they are on sale.

Dana August 7, 2012 at 7:15 pm

Tzatziki is a new staple in our house!!! I like it on celery on on rice crackers. We were doing hummus for a while and still do but we wanted to switch things up a bit. I also love the polar brand seltzer. I just bought megrims key lime at target, i’ve not tried it yet but I can’t wait.

Caroline August 8, 2012 at 9:55 am

Several of your staples are mine as well, but a few additional:
1) Fresh Cherries- I used to not like them but I retried lately and LOVE them.
2) Lime Margarita Crystal Light and Crystal Light Natural Grape. They keep me from over doing it on caloric beverages.
3) PB2- Andee have you had this? It’s amazing. It’s powdered peanuts that you can add to smoothies without as much fat and without the mess if peanut butter. The PB2 with Cocoa is my favorite in protein shakes. Also good with yogurt.
4) Food for Life Brown rice tortillas used as a pizza crust. I like bigger portions so I can feel like I am eating a whole pizza for not a lot of calories.
5) Luna Protein Bars, Archer Farms real fruit snacks, and Justin’s Almond Butter packs… I have blood sugar issues so I keep a “food pouch” in my purse with these three things at all times. That way I never have the excuse of being so hungry that I have to stop and get tator tots. :)
6)Homeade chicken broth- I never let chicken bones go to waste. I always have this on hand so I can control the sodium.
7)Queso Fresco, corn tortillas, and Pioneer Women’s homeade pico de gallo. I also have these on hand so I can throw together a healthier soft taco instead of heading to the local mexican joint. Pair with grilled chicken or steak and it’s amazing.
8) Fresh Mozzerella- Caprese Salads are so satisfying!

Okay. I think that’s it. :) Thanks for your website- I love it!

Dannii @ Hungry Healthy Happy August 8, 2012 at 10:57 am

That looks pretty much identical to my shopping!

Melanie August 8, 2012 at 11:33 am

Diet soda is my kryptonite! Coke zero is my personal fave. In fact, I may or may not be sipping on a can as I type this… It’s refreshing to hear that someone as healthy as you is addicted, too :)

Michelle in N. Cal August 8, 2012 at 8:18 pm

I loved getting a glimpse into your cart! Love the balance too. It’s very *real*. ;-)

Michelle in N. Cal August 8, 2012 at 8:19 pm

Oh and I LOVE St. Croix sparkling water. My current fave is Pear Peach and Cranberry Raspberry. Not sweet at all, just the essence of the fruit flavor. I get it at Target.

Christine August 9, 2012 at 11:01 am

There is a new zero calorie soda called Zevia made with stevia, so less artificiality ;) The grape even has no artifical coloring. But it still isn’t a substitute for Diet Coke :(

TracyDK August 9, 2012 at 6:24 pm

Today, I bought tomatoes, zucchini, yellow squash, apple cider and dark chocolate almond butter from my local farmers market. I always keep 2% milk on hand for my son. We have cherries, pineapple, watermelon, bananas, whole grain bread, 2 pints of cremini mushrooms, 3lbs ground beef (I buy it in bulk on sale and cook it all at once with onions and mushrooms and divy it out and freeze it. Generally lasts me 2-3 weeks this way), chicken, fish, whole wheat flour, crushed tomatoes, green leaf lettuce, romaine lettuce, carrots, hummus (or chickpeas)…and that’s all I can think of at the moment.

Lindsay August 10, 2012 at 9:36 am

Broccoli slaw and scallions added to any salad = a favorite of mine. Raw cauliflower with spicy hummus! Chick peas-roasted in oven with EVOO & spices! Chopped spinach added to lean ground beef for taco night. Guilt-free chocolate russians= 1 ounce vodka, 1 ounce kahluah, 1 Tbsp organic cacoa powder, 3 ounces unsweetened almond milk: shake & serve over ice. YUM!!!

Richa August 14, 2012 at 10:01 pm

I love non-fat greek yogurt with frozen blueberries.

As far as frozen ice cream/yogurt goes, I’ve had a couple flavors in Stonyfield’s non-fat frozen yogurt (gotta have java and after dark chocolate) and *really* don’t like them. Not sure how vanilla would be, but here are my picks (they’re available at most supermarkets…):

So Delicious Coconut Milk No Sugar Added Ice Cream (100 cal/ 1/2 cup)
Lifeway Frozen Kefir – Original tart (90 cal/ 1/2 cup)

What I love about the coconut milk one is it has no sugar added AND no artificial sweeteners. Truly a decadent, natural, but low-cal treat.

Addi December 5, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Hi there! I just started reading your blog and LOVE it so much already. I know this is an older post, but I’m trying to get into taking salads for lunches and I was just wondering, how much of each veggie should I buy if I’m just making it for two people? This will save me so much money– I’m in a bad habit of going to the deli for salad!