Tomorroats

by Andie Mitchell on August 8, 2012

punta cana 2012 154

I am obsessed.

This bowl of oatmeal is purely, simply, delightful. It’s thick, creamy, and almost doughy in texture. Prepare for your life to be altered *significantly.

punta cana 2012 153

*an average amount.

Now, let’s begin this conversation with the acknowledgement that I have been eating oats for breakfast for a few years now. I adore them as much as my mother adores her dog, which is to say, they’re my chosen favorite child.

The part I hate about making a pot of oatmeal on the stovetop every morning is: making a pot of oatmeal on the stovetop every morning. Essentially, I hate everything other than eating the oatmeal, and even then, I know there’s a pot in my sink, giving me the stink eye, waiting to be scrubbed.

I’ve done the microwave oats song and dance as well. Believe you me, I’ve tried to make life easier. But the unfortunate truth is, microwaved oatmeal is never the same as her stovetop sister. The oats are never as thoroughly puffed, as creamy dreamy, as when they’re simmered slowly.

punta cana 2012 155

This type of oatmeal, known almost exclusively as ‘overnight oats,’ is uncooked. It’s a recipe idea I’ve seen on blogs for quite some time now, but for some unreasonably unreasonable reason, I’ve resisted making it and loving it. Here’s the deal:

Dry rolled oats are soaked overnight in a mixture of yogurt and milk or water. By morning, the oats have absorbed most of the liquid, leaving you with a bowl of creamy, doughy oatmeal. All the taste, all the volume, none of the hassle.

punta cana 2012 156

It’s not only genius, but it’s currently rocking my world. I have a feeling you might say the same when you try them.

Whoever created the original recipe, let’s all make it our business to find that person, kiss them squarely on the lips, apologize for kissing them squarely on the lips, and thank them dearly for bettering our breakfasts.

I know I will.

punta cana 2012 157

punta cana 2012 159

punta cana 2012 160

punta cana 2012 152

I’m calling them ‘tomorroats’ for the plain and simple reason that the name sounds cuter. If you’re an oatmeal lover, let me know what you think!

Tomorroats

1/2 cup dry old fashioned rolled oats
1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt
1/4 cup water (or milk)

At night (before bed), mix all ingredients well in a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate overnight. In the morning, stir and serve. No need to heat them, no need to dirty another bowl. Simply mix in your desired topppings- fruit, nuts, peanut butter, honey, anything.

Serves 1
Nutrition (for oats, yogurt, and water only): 200 calories, 5 grams protein, 5 grams fiber

Rose August 8, 2012 at 6:37 pm

I’m curious to try this with a banana and fluff – which I’ve been eating for weeks thanks to your previous post with that recipe. Yum :)

Mandi December 26, 2012 at 12:07 pm

Is there a way to Pin all your recipes to Pinterest?! Love them all!!

CB August 8, 2012 at 7:00 pm

Thank you! I share your sentiments about loving the oats in the morning, but tiring of the preparation and that pan in the sink! I’m trying this. It could change my life.

Lindsey Renee August 8, 2012 at 7:18 pm

For the last two years I’ve been tossing dry oatmeal into my yogurt in the morning instead of using granola. It started just because I was out of granola and wanted some the added texture. Now I love it but hadn’t thought about leaving it in overnight. Though I’ve been seeing this all over pinterest it didn’t strike me until tonight that it’s basically the same thing I’ve been doing just with more time for the oats to puff up.

Thanks for the post! :)

candace August 8, 2012 at 7:21 pm

I too am a big fan of the oatmeal. I have seen this a few times in other blogs, but turned my nose up at it. After reading your post I walked directly into my kitchen and put together my tomorroats for the morning. If it’s good enough for you I am sure I will love it!

kristen @ verbs and vignettes August 8, 2012 at 7:33 pm

UGH. i love overnight oats. i guess there’s a reason fads are all actually fads.

i usually go for 1/3 cup: oats, milk, + yogurt. but i’m about to go mix up your version exactly, with my plain fage 2% yogurt. the strawberries peaking at me in the corner sealed the deal, because i have half a pint that i CANNOT risk spoiling before my enjoyment.

Violet August 8, 2012 at 7:55 pm

Oh, my. Old-fashioned oats going on the shopping list!

I suppose you could gently warm this in the microwave before eating, right?

Janna August 8, 2012 at 8:14 pm

Do you store it on the counter or in the fridge overnight?

Jae August 8, 2012 at 8:17 pm

So, this intrigues me. But I have two questions about it. One, and as a woman this has gotten me kicked out of many circles, I do not like yogurt. It’s really both a taste and a texture thing. So, question one- does this co-mingling result in yogurt-flavored oatmeal? Also, I have recently been eating steel cut oats, which I feel have a nuttier taste and ultimately creamier texture- do you think that this would work on the steel cut as well? Thanks in advance :)

B August 8, 2012 at 8:48 pm

I’ve done this with steel cut oats, and it worked fine. I do remember that I heated them on the stove just a bit before eating. If you try it and they’re still a bit crunchy right out of the fridge, just zap it in the microwave or heat them for a couple of minutes on the stove.

Jae August 9, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Thanks B :) I usually enjoy them warm anyway so heating them up a bit was going to be on my agenda anyway.

Stephanie August 9, 2012 at 3:04 am

You can totally just use milk instead. I’ve been eating it with just milk all week and they are just as good.

Christi August 9, 2012 at 6:34 am

Jae, thank you for reading my mind! I, too, am an abomination to my gender in that I hate yogurt. I don’t mind to cook with it, but I hate to eat it. I also have a bunch of steel cut oats. So basically, we are now BFFs. ;)

Jae August 9, 2012 at 1:22 pm

Yay! We can form our own little club with a sign outside that says “No yogurt Allowed!” It’s gonna be awesome!

Christi August 11, 2012 at 8:03 pm

Love it! You can be the president, I’ll be the secretary. lol

Michelle August 22, 2012 at 7:33 pm

Can I join your club too? I too cannot eat yogurt! It’s a texture thing I think??

Tamara August 9, 2012 at 6:43 am

I like yogurt but don’t care for it in my overnight oats. Here’s my latest recipe:

As the others said, you could use steel cut and may just have to heat it briefly to soften it a bit more.

Miranda August 8, 2012 at 8:26 pm

That’s actually the proper, old fashioned way of preparing them! The only difference being (and most nutritous) soaking steel cut (not rolled) in water and buttermilk overnight, then in the morning add a bit more water and heat on the stove for about 5 minutes! I like to add banana while it’s on the stovetop, then finish with a dollop of raw local honey and cinnamon!

erika August 8, 2012 at 9:28 pm

Thanks for posting this. I am looking for new ideas for breakfast and this may just be what I need to spruce things up! I love your blog!

Laura August 8, 2012 at 10:46 pm

I actually (horrors) struggle to enjoy the texture of “regular” oatmeal, but I love “overnight oats”.

When I was a very young child my Mom made something like this called “Swiss Oats” – mix oats, Bulgarian yogurt, canned peaches and honey and soak overnight.

Then as a teenager we would just soak the oats overnight in milk and add fresh fruit, nuts and seeds, and a dollop of yogurt when we served them.

I prefer the second method (more chewy less gummy) – and Jae, I like the second method without yogurt if I have lots of fruit and nuts….

Fran August 8, 2012 at 11:42 pm

I do this with almond milk for a vegan version. I often add in a TBSP of chia seeds as well – it helps firm up the oatmeal mixture.

maryj August 9, 2012 at 4:53 am

This all sounds nice but what I love is plain old oatmeal, 1 banana, and some icy cold creamy milk poured over, no cooking at all but dive straight in and yummy yum. And now I’m adding dried cranberries to the mix and it looks great too which is half the joy of eating. When I don’t have milk then I mix up dried coconut milk with filtered water and pour this over and it creates another taste sensation. I resisted Oats and banana for a long time thinking that it couldn’t be great if it’s uncooked but now its like dessert for breakfast it’s so creamy and delish.

Rachael August 9, 2012 at 5:11 am

Love the new name, tomorroats sounds much tastier :)

I love mixing in a tablespoon of PB2 and a large dollop of jam if I don’t have fresh fruit available. Another good mix is flaked coconut, mini chocolate chips and sliced almonds. And I love that you eat them cold, perfect for summer mornings on the deck!

Tamara August 9, 2012 at 5:44 am

I’m obsessed, too! In fact, I just blogged about my latest combo. I actually prefer the texture without yogurt; I just use Silk coconut milk and water. But either way, tomorroats are divine (and your name for them is MUCH more fun than the typical moniker!).

Pom Pom August 9, 2012 at 6:00 am

Mmmmmmm. Oats ARE a beautiful breakfast. You’ve convinced me. I’m off to the stove.

Kate August 9, 2012 at 6:04 am

Andie,
You always make me smile! The truth of the stink-eye pot in the sink is undeniable. It ruins the enjoyment. I was happily shocked to when I too gave in to the idea after resisting (cold oatmeal…REALLY?) and LOVE doing this. How fun is it to stir it up, go to bed and return in the morning to the perfect bowl of yum?

Bailey @ Onederland or Bust! August 9, 2012 at 6:13 am

I’ve tried overnight oats and really like them, but all the recipes I see online have so many ingredients! I like your simple recipe :)

Kenni August 9, 2012 at 6:46 am

LOVE overnight oats…oops, I mean tomorroats! I make some with applesauce and vanilla yogurt that end up tasting like an apple pie custard. Oh, so yummy. Guess I know what I’ll be having for breakfast tomorrow. :-D

Lori E. August 9, 2012 at 6:51 am

And not only is making them on the stove a pain, but cleaning the pan afterwards is worse!

Do you know if you can do it in larger quantities? That would make breakfast with the kiddos so much easier…

Alisha August 9, 2012 at 10:07 am
Abby August 10, 2012 at 7:13 am

This is the recipe base I use, and I love it. I don’t love the yogurt in my oatmeal, so I like Gina’s version with just milk, and the banana and blueberries are awesome in it. I don’t use the chia seeds, since I don’t have them, and if I want to mix up the fruit I can, and if I’m craving something a little sweeter I add a tablespoon of homemade jam, usually strawberry. I can even make it when I get up in the morning, then grab the jar on my way out the door and when I get to work they’re just right to eat!

Lauren August 9, 2012 at 7:10 am

I just tried overnight oats myself this past week and I’m in love! I also added a little bit of applesauce and cinnamon to mine for an extra bit of flavor, so good :)

Christen August 9, 2012 at 7:29 am

Thank you so much for this recipe! I too am a lover of oats, but often find myself debating over weather to make a pot of oats on the stove, if only for me… usually the answer ends up being “it’s just not worth the hassle.” Preparing my breakfast before bed seems much more sensible than trying to do anything in the morning pre-coffee!

Jessica McKnight August 9, 2012 at 7:44 am

I’ve been making these for a few months now. One of my favorite combos is 1/4c rolled oats, 1/4c nonfat plain greek yogurt, 1/3c milk, 2t maple syrup, 1.5t chia seeds and a ton of fresh blueberries. So good! I also like to switch out the syrup/blueberries for 2T strawberry jam and fresh strawberries. I was nervous about cold oatmeal at first, but now I can’t get enough :)

Weezie August 9, 2012 at 7:52 am

I rely exclusively on overnight oats for weekday breakfasts. To make two days worth of two servings, I combine a cup of rolled oats, a cup of nonfat plain greek yogurt, a cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk, one thinly-sliced ripe banana, a heaping handful of blueberries, a Tablespoon or two of chia seeds, a few shakes of cinnamon and a few grinds of salt. Top with more banana slices, blueberries (or peaches!), granola, nut butter, and a glug of maple syrup. Unreal.

Weezie August 9, 2012 at 7:53 am

I should clarify- those toppings are added each morning before serving, not to the oats directly. Silly me.

Liz August 9, 2012 at 3:29 pm

I have the exact same overnight oats recipe and I add all (blueberries, banana, etc) to the oats and milk and let sit overnight! So good!

jg August 9, 2012 at 8:00 am

Overnight oats are the best. Here’s my favorite recipe:
1/4 cup steel cut oats
1/2 cup coconut milk
tbsp unsweetened coconut
1/4 cup fresh or frozen raspberries
tsp cinnamon
tsp chia seeds
stevia to-taste

The combinations are endless. If I’m feeling extra ravenous one particular morning I’ll add a tbsp or two of almond butter.

Cadi August 9, 2012 at 8:34 am

I just did a ditty about this on my blog, too! I put in a TBSP of cocoa powder, some maple syrup, milk (no yogurt as I was out), chia seeds and some raspberries. Dessert for breakfast is SO something I can get behind!

Tried your recipe with the yogurt and water instead, and added a drizzle of honey and cinnamon. So yummy! And oatmeal for breakfast keeps me full much longer than anything else. There’s no way to get tired of this recipe, either, with all of the yummy bits and bobs you can stir in!

Jessica Zigenis August 9, 2012 at 8:37 am

Girl, high fives all around for finally discovering the goodness that is overnight oatmeal. If you’re ever feeling extra fancy, try adding a scoop of plain applesauce and some cinnamon to the mix the night before. Is it apple pie? Is it a healthy breakfast? Is it a party in my mouth? Answer: D. All of the above.

Sarah August 9, 2012 at 9:07 am

I hate to brag, but I have been doing this for years! My sister glamorously married a scandanavian man and he introduced us to this method nearly 15 years ago. They are a favorite in our house for sure. Try them with fresh peaches, you might die.

Tamara August 9, 2012 at 9:20 am

Yes, muesli, it’s very European, isn’t it?

As I posted on my blog, I’ve been making them with nectarines all week. Can’t get enough!

Amanda August 9, 2012 at 10:10 am

When I *finally* tried overnight oats after hearing about them for forever and ever and ever, it was life changing. I now eat them every.single.morning. usually with a handful of raspberries and just a bit of honey on top. Perfect start to any day!

Cindy August 9, 2012 at 10:17 am

This isn’t crazy at all. This is how my little boy eats his oatmeal almost every morning.

Jennie August 9, 2012 at 10:23 am

My husband and I eat oatmeal every day, but do it a bit differently. I bring 4 cups of water and pinch of salt to a boil, add 1 cup of steel cut oats and let it simmer for 1 minute. Then I turn off the heat, cover the pot and let it sit overnight. I make big batches and keep it in the frig. In in the morning, we reheat in the microwave and season according to our preference for the day. My husband likes his oats more loose, so he adds a bit of water to his bowl before microwaving.

And while this will probably freak some people out, we prefer our oats savory, so we top it with some combination of salsa, hot sauce, leftover sauteed veggies, cheese and eggs. It totally satisfies my preference for a hot, savory breakfast.

Tamara August 9, 2012 at 10:30 am

I just pinned a few savory oats recipes, Jennie. That sounds really good to me, in fact!

Liv August 9, 2012 at 10:38 am

Oh, oh – I’ve done this! I’ve heard it called “davosgröt” (davos porridge). Anyway – I like adding gingerbread spices and frozen, sliced strawberries and/or blueberries. Mm, heaven in a cup. Such a gorgeous way to start off a day!

Tricia Berryhill August 9, 2012 at 1:33 pm

I recently discovered “Tomorroats” as well and LOVE them. However, I use a cup of almond milk and about 2tbs. of chia seeds (another recent discover that I am quickly becoming obsessed with). It cuts out the dairy if you are looking to avoid it and the chia seeds thicken it up nicely ;)

Christina August 9, 2012 at 1:46 pm

I eat overnight oats everyday and can’t think of not having them. I do think Chia seeds are pretty essential in getting the texture and volume right.

My recipe is a heaping:

1/3 c rolled oats
1/3 c greek yogurt (I use FF)
1/3 c almond milk
1-2 tsp Chia Seeds.

Mix and put in the fridge. The next morning I add more almond milk b/c I prefer my oats kind of runny. Add fruit, voila!!

My all time fave is to make this concoction in an almost empty nut butter container. Soaking the oats overnight softens whatever peanut butter in the jar. OMG, it’s so so good.

Mugs August 9, 2012 at 2:51 pm

I’ve been following you for awhile through google reader, but this is the first time I’ve commented.

I love oatmeal, I’m one of those that swears by the health benefits, and make it in the crockpot overnight during the winter, but want to try this. The problem is I can’t have dairy. I don’t keep any alternative milks in the house (soy, rice, almond, etc) and don’t know if I want to just for oatmeal. Has anyone tried this with just water, or water and protein powder, to plump up the oats and then adding the mix-ins for flavor?

Keep up the wonderful blog. I love the story of your weight loss journey. Your an inspiration.

Marie-Sophie August 17, 2012 at 3:13 am

You can do vegan overnight oats! Just add 1 Tablespoon of chia to your mixture – that will help will the plumping up factor! I do that when I don’t have milk or yogurt in the house! oats, protein powder, 1-2 Tablespoons of chia (try 1 first, step up if necessary)) and mix-ins!

Sheri August 9, 2012 at 6:19 pm

You are about halfway there to my favorite workday breakfast! On the weekend I try to mix up a big bowl and dig into it over the week.
I use my old fashioned oats and a mixture of 1/2 milk and yogurt. Then I add:
sliced/slivered almonds
raw sunflower seeds
sliced bananas
diced apples
sliced grapes
dried cranberries
a big spoonful of honey
This stuff is amazing, and it is just as good at the end of the week. You just have to give it a try!

DaisyG August 10, 2012 at 9:59 am

Looks great! I’ll have to try it.

Tish August 10, 2012 at 11:17 am

I do this when I fancy oats for breakfast. I usually use vanilla soy milk or chocolate oat milk – which is SO YUMMY – and let them soak overnight. Bit of cinnamon and some fruit added in the morning and a delish, healthy breakfast!

Kayte August 10, 2012 at 3:24 pm

I’ve been making this, which has more ingredients to it (like chia seeds) than what you make for months now. I love it and can’t wait until its fall and microwave it in the morning for a warm breakfast! http://www.theyummylife.com/Refrigerator_Oatmeal

Sarah (The Simple Dietitian) August 11, 2012 at 5:33 am

It’s funny that you posted this, because I just tried this for my first time this past week. I’ve been using kefir and adding in honeydew melon the night before. It’s positively dreamy! And not having to scrub the pot? How ideal. :D

Barbara The Healthy Nut August 11, 2012 at 11:53 am

This is perfect for the summer when I hate to heat up anything on the stove!! Now if I can only remember to prepare it the night before!!

J&C @WineDineDaily August 11, 2012 at 7:09 pm

What a great idea!!!

Janet August 12, 2012 at 12:57 am

I have been having oats in the morning for a couple of week now, but I never tried that. Sounds quite nice. Keep it up!

Bek @ Crave August 12, 2012 at 11:41 pm

Love this! Saving this recipe pronto. Cute name too ;)

R's Mom August 14, 2012 at 7:07 am

I’ve been seeing recipes for overnight oats pop up around the Internet lately, but had brushed them off as a fad! But seeing you post about them gave them a little bit of validity! I tried it last night/this morning, and it was delicious! I accidentally bought vanilla yogurt instead of plain at the store, but it was fine…I just didn’t need to add a lot to it for flavor! Thanks for the recipe/idea!

April August 14, 2012 at 12:36 pm

I’ve seen these all over the net they seemed to be all the “rage” however I’ve never tried them as i can’t get over the fact that they are cold! cold oatmeal? sounds nast! and doesn’t the yogurt add more calories? (I’m happy making oatmeal with just hot water)

Meredith August 14, 2012 at 4:41 pm

First off — love your blog. Found it about a month ago. Very inspiring and full of great information too :)

Secondly, I tried this last night for my breakfast this morning after my workout. IT WAS AMAZING!!!! And the possibilities are really endless.

Thanks for sharing and for sharing so many things on here :)

Linda August 15, 2012 at 8:15 am

I just started making these and I am in love! I add half a scoop of protein powder, a hit of maple syrup and a tablespoon of cocoa powder to mine.

Jennielynn August 16, 2012 at 7:21 am

When I read this post, immediately after discovering your fantastic blog, I was…skeptical. But we’re in the middle of a heat wave and I needed a no muss, no fuss breakfast option.

Oh my heaven. Delish! I’ll never doubt you again.

lexophilia August 17, 2012 at 8:32 pm

One of my favourite breakfasts in life is an overnight oatmeal made with pureed pumpkin. It goes something like this (I’m admittedly terrible at remembering to measure things):

8 oz. pureed pumpkin
1/2 c. almond milk (or soy or regular or whatever)
1 cup rolled oats (thick-cut is always best)
1 tsp – 1 TB sugar (you know, some like it sweeter)
lots of (actual measurement) cinnamon
a little less nutmeg

Mix it up, leave it in the refrigerator overnight, and in the morning you will have the most delicious pumpkin-pie-flavoured oatmeal ever. I actually prefer to eat it cold (like my pumpkin pie), but it’s delightful warmed as well.

Basia August 21, 2012 at 6:33 am

Thank you so much for this. I’ve seen so many fridge-oatmeal recipes but yours is the simplest. And you coined the cute name! :-) No need for complication… much appreciated.

Nuts about food September 7, 2012 at 1:40 am

Thanks for the tip, I will definitely be trying this! Can’t wait!

Jen @ Savory Simple September 25, 2012 at 8:25 pm

I love your blog so much! What an incredible idea.

Nikol October 4, 2012 at 11:51 am

I found your blog through some pins on Pinterest. Love it! And this recipe kind of changed my life. I love oatmeal, but I really do not have time to cook it in the morning, and instant oatmeal makes me gag. (It’s like it’s pre-chewed! Bleh!) But this! This is how oatmeal should be. Today I stirred some cinnamon and nutmeg into the mix and added peaches. It was like a delicous yogurty peach cobbler. So good.

Thank you for this post!

Megan October 15, 2012 at 12:15 pm

So I know I’m super late in posting this, but I have to thank you Andie. This recipe has sort of changed my life. I am so not a morning person, and I make this recipe at least once a week (and eat it for two days), and i get a high protein, low calorie (unless I dress it up way too much) breakfast that is delicious! Thank you for sharing this!!!

Monique November 25, 2012 at 12:04 pm

These are amazing! When I’m lazy I usually just pour hot water or milk over my oats and eat them after they’ve soaked a bit.

This yogurt-soaked way of making oats was a little more delicious! <3

Denisse December 8, 2012 at 1:40 pm

The recipe is so easy i had to try it .. its amazingly delicious! thank you so much Andie

Kristi January 16, 2013 at 9:27 am

I’m so sad. I really wanted to like these oats but mines just tasted oats soaked in sour cream (I’m sure I used fresh plain yogurt – I double checked). I don’t know how but I must have done something wrong.:(

Kristi January 16, 2013 at 9:31 am

lol mine not mines. Darn one handed typing with a squirming baby. :)

Barbara January 16, 2013 at 9:45 am

I use vanilla yogurt. And yes, it tastes like oats in yogurt, but I am ok with that! I add spices, too, and maybe dried fruit, nuts, apple butter… Hope that helps! (and yay for squirming babies!) :-)

Tamara January 16, 2013 at 9:47 am

I soak my overnight oats in coconut milk, myself. I’m not fond of the texture of oats soaked in yogurt. So that’s another option!

admin January 16, 2013 at 10:47 am

Oh no. Sorry to hear it, Kristi. These definitely aren’t for everyone. I love that tangy taste, but I can see why you might not. If you choose to make them again, I’d suggest using vanilla yogurt or sweetening the plain yogurt with honey, maple syrup, or sugar.

Thanks for trying them and again, sorry to have steered you wrong and possibly ruined your breakfast :(

Jen February 1, 2013 at 11:54 pm

Cold mushy oats do not do it for me. I won’t be making this again.

admin February 2, 2013 at 9:56 am

Sorry to hear it, Jen. And I hope that your breakfast wasn’t a total bust because of them. I understand why you might not like overnight oats, because their texture and temperature seem to make them one of those love ‘em or hate ‘em things.

I do appreciate you trying the recipe and I thank you for your review, even though it wasn’t in my favor.

Anne March 27, 2013 at 6:41 pm

I am not a lover of oatmeal, but will be willing to try this and hope to enjoy it. It is so good for you. I cannot think that COLD oatmeal would be good, but will try it soon.

Just wanted you to know that you are a FABULOUS writer! I LOVE to read your blog !!! Everything is stated in such an eloquent way and alluring to draw all of your readers in further. Almost like a dangling carrot ! LOL !!!!!