Two Ingredient Slow Cooker Meals

by Andie Mitchell on August 19, 2012

slow_cooker_chicken-3

This tip requires so little cooking, I’m almost hesitant to share it here as though it’s a recipe. It’s more of a faux recipe, and for that, I’m in love. Because sometimes I just don’t have the time or the energy to create a delicious meal. Sometimes all I want, all I need in the world, is my own personal *Jamie Oliver.

slow_cooker_chicken-5

*For strictly cooking purposes.

iphone 8.17 009

Here it is: You can combine any meat (chicken, beef, pork) with any pre-made bottled sauce (marinades, salsa, marinara, you name it), and set it to cook on low for 8 to 10 hours, and what you will be left with is nothing short of marvelous.

Just two ingredients. One of which you didn’t even make yourself.

Chicken and salsa? It works. Pork and honey barbecue sauce? It works. Ground beef and marinara? Don’t make me say it again.

iphone 8.17 010

Use enough sauce to cover the meat (about 1.5 to 2 cups) and let the mix slowly cook all day long. The finished product will be not only infused with the flavor of the sauce (a reason to use only sauces you love!), but it will be so tender it falls apart upon fork contact.

slow cooker beef quesadilla-3

Try this: Slow Cooked Beef and Mango Quesadillas

What’s your favorite slow cooker combination?

Katelyn August 19, 2012 at 6:25 pm

True Fact: JUST bought a slow cooker for my new apartment! Going to be using it nearly every day. YUM.

Pom Pom August 19, 2012 at 6:51 pm

Slow cookers are a wonder! I’m going to branch out and use different marinades and sauces.

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh August 19, 2012 at 7:33 pm

I do this all the time and you’re right, it absolutely works!

Renee August 19, 2012 at 8:23 pm

Exactly what I did for my family today! And I was short on time, so I set it for 4 hours on high instead. Just boneless, skinless chicken breasts and barbecue sauce.

I actually pulled some out after about 3 hours, when it was done, super tender, and still holding together. Then I left it in the slow cooker on “warm” after, and it’s been sitting while we eat and get or little one down to sleep. Then I’ll pull it apart for meals for later this week. Wraps, served over lettuce, whatever…

Good stuff!

Dannii @ Hungry Healthy Happy August 20, 2012 at 3:07 am

I love my slow cooker. Cheap and healthy meals that are quick to prepare :)

johnny August 20, 2012 at 4:18 am

Been using slow cookers for ever! That is the simplist yet. Love It!! :)

Bailey @ Onederland or Bust! August 20, 2012 at 6:33 am

This is the best way to cook chicken breasts.. makes them so tasty!

TJ August 20, 2012 at 6:36 am

Yum! There is a McCormick Grill Mate seasoning “Memphis Pit BBQ”, rub that on very generously add some Worcestershire, oh baby come to Momma! :)

Cari July 6, 2013 at 5:55 pm

I love the McCormick’s Grill Mates Mesquite marinade. It’s delicious, I end up using it for every family or friends gathering, BBQ, party, whatever. Everyone loves it. I’m actually trying a slow cooker version of the Mesquite for the first time today, I added a little KC Masterpiece Original BBQ sauce along with it. Attempting to make pulled chicken sandwiches! We’ll see how it turns out. I’ve been wanting to try it for months now, just never got around to it. I’ll have to try the Memphis Pit BBQ one now, too!!

Linda Sue August 20, 2012 at 6:53 am

Poerk tenderloin, green chili sauce from Costco!

Katie P August 20, 2012 at 8:51 am

Do you have a favorite slow cooker? I have been wanting to get one for a while and would love a recommendation.

Chi Chi August 20, 2012 at 12:14 pm

You need Jamie Oliver like I need Tyler Florence!

*For strictly cooking purposes. :)

Happy Girl August 20, 2012 at 1:36 pm

Totally new at the cooking thing and now I have 5 mouths to feed! Does the protein/meat need to be fresh or can I use frozen? If I use beef what happens to the grease? Is it absorbed at all? Thanks for the ideas! Loving the blog!

Rockingmomma August 20, 2012 at 2:12 pm

I kinda have the same question as Happy Girl. Do I use frozen or thawed? I find when I use frozen skinless boneless chicken there is a little “foam” or ‘Scum”. Is that what is causing it? It kinda grosses me out! Let me know.

Jen November 28, 2012 at 8:20 am

You can use frozen, works like a charm. Some worry about bacteria because they think it doesn’t get hot enough to kill it, but I have NEVER had a problem with that. I figure as long as it the meat is done, it’s all good.

Melinda August 21, 2012 at 7:55 am

I love chicken with a bag of frozen broccoli (or oriental veggies) and a bottle of teriyaki sauce. Technically 3 ingredients, but still simple. Serve over rice. Yummy.

Jenni August 21, 2012 at 11:21 am

Chicken and Bone Suckin’ Sauce – an amazing BBQ sauce that’s thin, sweet and tangy, perfect for slow cooking!

Lynne August 21, 2012 at 3:28 pm

I love chicken breast with marinara. I added shredded mozzarella at the end to make it cheesy. Yum!

I throw the meat in frozen, for those that asked. It works fine, sometimes you end up with more liquid in the crockpot than you’d expect.

melissa@the hungry artist August 21, 2012 at 6:03 pm

I love that you simplify it to its essence!

Thank you.

D August 21, 2012 at 7:12 pm

Mmm, what a great idea!

Jan August 22, 2012 at 3:24 am

We got a slow cooker given to us for our new appt but I’d been struggling to come up with interesting new recipes to make use of it.

You have just solved my problem :)

Katie @ driscapades.blogspot.com August 23, 2012 at 9:37 am

Hi Andie! I too am wondering about the ground beef in the crockpot recipe. You mentioned ground beef with marinara…so does the grease absorb? Do you put the ground beef in frozen or thawed? I ask because I feel like the ground beef would cook faster than say a chicken breast or thicker cut of meat so I was thinking maybe put it in frozen.

Thanks!

J August 23, 2012 at 4:18 pm

Cheap, lean beef roast and a jar of pepperocini–those pickled pepper rings you can put on sandwiches. Just pour the whole jar over the roast and cook on low all day–juice and all. Smells super vinegary while it cooks, but makes the BEST sandiwches or whatever. Not too spicy, but with a good kick.

Ashley August 25, 2012 at 10:08 am

Our Costco has a 3 pack of Patak’s Tikka Masala/Korma sauce – I have chicken breasts in the crock pot with the tikka masala sauce right now. I can’t wait!

For those who asked: I use frozen chicken breasts. Draws out the cooking time making the meat more tender and less likely to dry out.

jenna lehr September 3, 2012 at 5:53 pm

does your tikka masala sauce have half and half/milk in it? I was worried slow cooking a sauce with milk for so long.. does it get weird? or work well?

Thanks so much!

jenna lehr September 3, 2012 at 5:52 pm

I am so glad you shared this! I know it seems common sense but sometimes we forget to do the easy things in life and waste time for no reason! Inspired by reading this last night I made two wonderful dishes today…

First I used garlic expression salad dressing (which has whole cloves of garlic) and i also used a big handful of fresh basil from my balcony garden and I cooked in my slower cooker for 4 hours on high. Then i shredded it and served it with baked sweet potatoes.

Then because I get on these little kicks i couldnt stop at just one slower cooker dish… so i also did an 8 hour on low chicken with light sweet basil italian dressing which i also put a handful of chopped fresh basil from the garden. I also sliced one red pepper and one green pepper. So this will be all ready for our lunches for tomorrow.

Thanks again for inspiring me to do some stress free simple cooking! My fiancé loved loved loved the garlic chicken!

I paired my dinner with small apple tarts from the local orchard which opened today :) Delicious!

Thanks agin!

Kate November 4, 2012 at 8:59 am

Hey! I don’t know for sure about that particular one, but most Indian cooking is done with coconut milk, which isn’t milk or dairy at all.

Hope that helps!

Samantha September 7, 2012 at 4:56 am

Hi Andie! You have made me want a slow cooker for this winter. Which model do you have? There are so many out there, it’s hard to know what is good. Do you recommend a size for the recipes you mentioned? Thanks!

Joanne January 11, 2013 at 9:26 am

Love your recipes

Brenda February 8, 2013 at 1:13 am

My fav is Salsa Chicken. It’s four ingredients but it’s fantastic. My mexican son-in-law actually likes it ;) Just toss in a bag of frozen chicken fillets, one pkg taco seasoning, large jar of your fav salsa and one can (ok, i know this sounds gross) of cream o mushroom soup. 6-8 hours on low. Serve with refried beans and warm tortillas and maybe a little spanish rice. YUM!!

Cynthia Cone February 22, 2013 at 10:23 pm

Yes, the slow cooker is a wonderful invention, but as a nurse, I have to suggest that if you’re using pre-made, processed sauces, opt for low-sodium versions. Bottled sauces often have way too much salt for daily use.

Mark March 21, 2013 at 11:16 pm

THIS IS AWESOME:

“You can combine any meat (chicken, beef, pork) with any pre-made bottled sauce (marinades, salsa, marinara, you name it), and set it to cook on low for 8 to 10 hours”.

I have two kids, a full-time job, no time, and pathetic cooking skills. Everyone kept telling me how a slow cooker could simply my life…after reading that sentence, I get it. Brilliant in its simplicity.

Can anyone suggest any additional meats and pre-made bottled sauces that would work?

Thank you so very much.
Mark

Jen March 22, 2013 at 1:18 pm

I love frozen chicken breats/tenders with a bottle of Trader Joe’s Island Soyaki sauce. You can shred the chicken when it’s done, put on your favorite bun or wrap with some pineapple, whatever greens you like etc.. and it’s so tasty! Perfect in summer :)

Stacy April 19, 2013 at 1:06 pm

I love this! but i am definitely cooking the chicken before i put it in the slow cooker, I dont think my boyfriend would eat it uncooked. I have a love for buffalo sauce, could i put that sauce in with the salsa instead?? Thanks!

Tracy April 28, 2013 at 4:47 pm

Stacy, the slow cooker cooks the chicken… no need to cook it beforehand! If it makes you nervous, use a food thermometer. The innermost part of the chicken should reach 165 F to be safe for eating.

Pam August 2, 2013 at 7:00 pm

Hey, Stacy – Please don’t cook the chicken first – the slow cooker does it – I PROMISE!!!

Also, try a jar (or as much as you want) of Frank’s hot sauce and a package of ranch dressing for a yummy buffalo chicken like you want – no salsa.
Enjoy!

Kimette July 24, 2013 at 5:01 pm

I use a bottle of bbq sauce and I shred a rotisserie chicken.

Tracy January 15, 2014 at 4:57 pm

I dont’ cook my chicken, but I do brown in the frying pan before putting in the slow cooker. Just makes it look better. Either way it’s to die for no matter what you do to it! Get a slow cooker with the smart option, so it turns to warm after you cook it for however many hours. That way if you work and are away for 10 hours, cook for 8 hours and automatically switch to warm. Trust me on that. Get a smart crock pot!