Autumn Butternut Squash Salad

by Andie Mitchell on October 11, 2012

autumn butternut squash salad

Now this

is an autumn salad.

autumn butternut squash salad

Once the temperature dips down into that familiar chill, it becomes harder and harder to handle a salad as chilly. Raw vegetables, cool and crisp and lovely just one season ago- they lose some of their charm for me.

If the same is true for you, I suggest roasting all the fall vegetables you enjoy most and piling the mess of them in a bowl with dried cranberries and chopped fresh scallions. You won’t even need a dressing because the roasting process will do its job intensifying the warmth, the flavor, of each vegetable. Butternut squash will caramelize and turn syrupy sweet. Strands of onion will melt into glossy, tender noodles.

A bowlful can serve as a hearty side dish or a warming lunchtime salad.

Autumn Butternut Squash Salad

• 1 butternut squash, peeled and chopped into 1-2 inch chucks
  • 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
  • 1 large apple, peeled and chopped in pieces roughly the same size as the squash
  • 2 tablespoons oil
  • salt and pepper
  • 1/2 cup dried unsweetened cranberries
  • 1/4 cup chopped scallions (green onions)
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Toss the butternut squash, apple, onion, and oil in a large bowl, using your hands to coat the fruit/vegetables well with oil.
  2. Spread the fruit/vegetables on a large baking sheet, salt and pepper them liberally, and roast for 1 hour. Check the vegetables after 40 minutes and flip them as best you can to ensure they do not burn on one side.
  3. When they are tender and able to be pierced with a fork, remove the fruit/vegetables to a large bowl. Toss with the dried cranberries and scallions.

sarah October 11, 2012 at 6:34 pm

Where can you get unsweetened cranberries? I’ve never seen them before but would love to get my hands on some!

Katie October 11, 2012 at 7:48 pm

YUM! I’ve been needing this. Thanks as always my dear. :)

Lisa October 11, 2012 at 8:59 pm

Brilliant! This is right up my alley – thanks for the inspiration! :)

Sarah, unsweetened dried cranberries or “Craisins” as they are called, can be found near the raisins and other dried fruits in most grocery stores. They are sold in bulk at my local Sam’s Club and Sprouts Market as well. HTH.

Lisa Kim October 11, 2012 at 9:38 pm

Hi. Looks yum and a great Fall/Winter option for this seasonal salad eater!

Question: Do you roast the scallions AND add additional raw ones later?

Thanks,
Lisa

Joy October 11, 2012 at 10:35 pm

I have been in the same predicament myself! I usually love salad, but today we had a cold thunderstorm and that was the last thing I wanted. Do you roast a bunch of veggies at once and portion them out for later? What kind of green veggies would be good for this?

admin October 13, 2012 at 8:32 am

Hey Joy!
I recommend roasting a huge amount of them and then storing them all together in a big tupperware container. Take out the portion you want each day and reheat in the microwave. They should last 5 days but they’ll be mushier by the end.
As for a green to go with them- baby spinach is what I’d choose. Also, arugula would be fantastic because of its gentle spiciness.

Lia October 12, 2012 at 3:43 am

Amazing and sublime combination of flavours and 5***** presentation!!
Cheers,
Lia.

Carissa October 12, 2012 at 5:35 am

Heaven in a salad bowl, right there! This is what I look forward to as summer days get shorter & cooler.

Nancy @ Rivertreekitchen October 12, 2012 at 6:40 am

Roasted butternut squash is delicious; I love the addition of apples and cranberries. I make roasted squash with pears and puree the leftovers into soup.

Cinnamon Vogue October 12, 2012 at 9:02 am

Yum Yum Yum. Just when I was running out inspiration. Lovely photography.

Kimiko October 12, 2012 at 9:24 am

Brilliant. I was just thinking, “I might be getting close to the annual it’s-too-cold-to-eat-salads-anymore problem.” Thanks!!

Megan (Braise The Roof) October 12, 2012 at 11:59 am

Well now that just looks delicious. I love that you roasted the apples with the squash- genius!

Allison Day October 12, 2012 at 4:49 pm

Mmm, this sounds like my kind of salad. Plus, I’ll bet the house smells AMAZING after roasting everything!

Annet October 12, 2012 at 6:37 pm

oooh, yum, but I would also crumble some soft goat’s cheese on top. To. die. for.

Melody October 13, 2012 at 4:55 am

I’ve looked all over on-line and in stores for unsweetened dried cranberries or “Craisins”” and the typical bulk food product & the “craisins” are certainly full of sugar! Even at my health food stores they are sweetened with “evaporated cane juice” grrrrr. If anyone knows where to by unsweetened dried cranberries on-line let me know! Thanks!

admin October 13, 2012 at 8:29 am

Melody, I’ve found them at Trader Joe’s a few times!

tracy {pale yellow} October 13, 2012 at 6:07 am

Roasted butternut squash sounds delightful right now! So warm and delicious!

Erin October 14, 2012 at 10:29 am

I’m making this today! Can’t wait! :-)

Erin

Erin October 14, 2012 at 10:29 am
Erin October 15, 2012 at 8:22 pm

So…I committed the cardinal sin of roasting veggies…and crowded the pan. The veggies steamed, rather than roasted and in order for them to get brown…I cooked them too long.

But…um…no worries. The recipe is still awesome! I popped the whole lot in the food processor, and turned it into butternut squash/onion/apple puree…and sprinkled the craisins on top! Still a total winner.

Michal October 15, 2012 at 1:21 pm

I make a salad similar to this, though more savory than sweet. It’s delish with the squash seeds salted, roasted, and tossed in/sprinkled on top. Beautiful photos! :)

Dominique October 15, 2012 at 10:32 pm

This was absolutely delicious. I made it this evening for dinner but omitted the cranberries. It is a cozy feel good dish, I kinda wish it were storming here. Thank you so much for your awesome blog! I can’t wait to try more of your recipes.

Melissa Blavos October 17, 2012 at 2:27 pm

Thank you! I made a batch of this yesterday, and I’ve been enjoying it for the past 2 days for lunch. It’s tasty, healthful, and has festive fall colors!

Mia October 21, 2012 at 4:02 pm

I just discovered your blog this weekend and I must say I am so inspired by your story and philosophy. Although I am twice your age, your story really resonates with me. I love your view on running. You are so right.
I made your autumn salad today and it was delicious. I mixed it with a bit of quoinoa for protein and used dried cherries because i couldn’t find unsweetened cranberries – I am in Canada eh. I sprinkled a few sunflower seeds on top. Did I mention it is was delicious?
Thanks so much – I feel reenergized and ready to continue my weight loss journey.

Miriam October 24, 2012 at 12:25 pm

Made this last night for the first time as a side dish to roasted pork tenderloin.

Added crumbled feta on top. Everyone LOVED it. Will definitely make again.

Miriam October 24, 2012 at 12:26 pm

Oh, and my butternut squash was from my garden. Unbelievable! The colour is so much richer and the vegetable is moister than any I have bought in the stores.

Caitlin October 28, 2012 at 3:17 pm

I made this today and it was a huge hit! I added crushed walnuts and it was delicious. Thanks for the recipe!

Jess October 28, 2012 at 5:03 pm

How many servings is this? Has anyone posted nutritional info yet? Sounds yummy!

Nedster August 12, 2014 at 10:11 pm

I usually get 4-6 servings out of this, depending on whether I’m using it as a side dish for a more substantial meal or more of an equal partner to my main. Its about 608 cal for the entire thing (by my calculations, at least). This is my fall/winter staple!

Caryn November 5, 2012 at 9:49 am

I just made this and as I was eating kept saying out loud, “oh my gosh, this is so good!” I omitted the apple and cranberries because I didn’t have any but added wheat berries for a little crunch. So so so good!

vicki November 18, 2012 at 3:10 pm

Can’t wait to make this for Thanksgiving dinner!

Jen November 27, 2012 at 1:28 pm

I made this as a Thanksgiving side and everyone loved it! It was sweet, but not overwhelming. It was nice to have something lighter & without a doubt healthy on such a caloric day. This will be a new staple at family gatherings.

Penelope August 15, 2013 at 5:26 pm

I am not sure where you are getting your info, but good topic.

I needs to spend some time learning more or understanding more.
Thanks for wonderful information I was looking for this
info for my mission.