101 Awesome Ways to Use Ordinary Objects

by Andie Mitchell on October 24, 2012

This hasn’t a tremendous amount to do with health or cooking per se, but I feel compelled to share it. Lists like these…they light up the happy receptors in my brain like only cupcakes can. They’re the kinds of things that your grandma might know, or maybe the kinds of helpful tips you pass on to a friend who tells another friend who tells another friend who tells their spouse who happens to hate repeating things and therefore ends the pattern there. Regardless, I’m sharing it. Because these are the valuable little nuggets of wisdom that will forever save you from going mental when you’ve spilled wine down your blouse, or help you when you need a pair of scissors to open a package of a pair of scissors.

101 New Uses for Everyday Things from Real Simple

Tell me: do you know any fantastic ways to use ordinary objects?

featured image by: Robert Couse-Baker

theresa October 24, 2012 at 7:15 pm

Seriously,
the best example I have are the BBQ tongs. I’m 5’1″ and they work to reach my spices off the top shelf, into the deep washing machine….. necessity right? ;)

Anne Weber-Falk October 25, 2012 at 8:56 am

I’m there with you using bbq tongs to reach things. It’s one of my most used utensils for that very reason. I use it in my kitchen to reach all the cans and bottles and dishes that are up too high. I am too lazy to drag out the step ladder.

Grace October 24, 2012 at 9:14 pm

My favorite is the pant hanger to hold a recipe. Also spray vinegar behind my kitchen faucet every couple days and it gets rid of the calcium build up.

Sarah Bower October 24, 2012 at 11:43 pm

You are awesome. I’m just saying. You’re posts are funny, real and lovely to read each morning they arrive to my inbox =) keep it up gal! x

Heather@SugarDish(Me) October 25, 2012 at 4:15 am

These lists are awesome. I need to figure out how to commit them to memory. This also made me want to buy dryer sheets.
Thanks!

Ashley Bee (Quarter Life Crisis Cuisine) October 25, 2012 at 7:15 am

I keep reading your blog via my reader and hadn’t seen the new style yet–it’s awesome! Well done :)

Janet Vaght October 25, 2012 at 8:32 am

Just a note to say I like reading your blog and thank you for keeping it up. I look forward to having a notice in my in box that there is a new post :-)

Alisha October 25, 2012 at 9:54 am

The velcro list annoyed me since it you do any of those things, you’re going to pull the paint off the wall/picnic table or the varnish off you chairs. I used velcro to hang up a whiteboard in college and took paint off the wall when I removed it.

I just skimmed the rest of it

Jamie October 25, 2012 at 10:25 am

Andie,

I miss the real posts you used to write. I’m sure you are busy, but lately they have been more like facebook statuses than anything else. Just know that you are missed!

admin October 25, 2012 at 10:52 am

Hi Jamie,
Oh this makes me sad. I do appreciate you being here and I love that you said something (you always can), but I guess I feel like the posts I’ve written in the past two months have been fairly in depth of topic and they don’t seem brief, status-y, or like they only took a minute to put up. In fact, many of them are quite lengthy and I put a good amount of time into creating them.
I don’t mean this reply to be defensive and I certainly don’t want you to feel discredited; I only want you to know that I’m trying and that hearing that my posts are coming across like status updates in a way undermines all the care I put into them.

As always, I hear you and thank you for your honesty.

Cindy October 27, 2012 at 4:22 pm

I would have agreed with your comment several months back when Andie was finishing up her book. I even wrote her a private message to let her know how I felt. It seems as soon as the book was completed she returned to the ‘old’ Andie and started to put in the same love, time and attention into her posts again…..for which I am appreciative! I do admit that I wish there were more weight loss related discussions but that’s just a personal and selfish preference.

Cindy October 27, 2012 at 4:26 pm

(Sorry for reposting but my comment went under Andie’s reply and it was meant as a reply to Jamie.)

katecooks October 25, 2012 at 12:04 pm

i love real simple!! i’ve even framed pages from the magazine before :)

seventyfivedegrees.wordpress.com

Michelle October 25, 2012 at 1:43 pm

I didn’t think I would find anything new, shows me! Shall use info. Thanks. Baking soda and half of lemon or lime will clean kitchen sink, buff with cloth towel. Later!

TJ October 25, 2012 at 5:55 pm

Ok so here goes………. I have been reading your blog for 1 1/2 years? I was trying to lose weight. Soaking up anything I could get my hands/eyes on, for motivation, the secret ingredient to the overnight weight loss. :) I found blogs and was sharing my finds w/my sister. Anywhoo, She (my sis.) found your blog and shared it with me. BoomChicKaBoom I was hooked. I promptly read everything you had written. Here was a gal(You, Andie Mitchell) who had achieved something huge inside and out. More than that she was normal and had a voice I enjoyed listening to! Your whole everything going on here in this blog you have created has helped me more than you will ever know. Why the long comment? Because I am so sick and tired of the impatient and unfeeling comments from readers. You ROCK!! Never doubt it. You have helped many and will continue. Keep it up, there are some of us readers who will always be here waiting anxiously to see what else you have stored in that mind of yours. Waiting anxiously for your book! :) I know this was unnecessary but oh well.

Whitney November 8, 2012 at 9:57 pm

Love your blog and recipes! Great to see someone who has a healthy balance on life and weight loss. Your awesome!