Roasted Chickpeas, Any Way You Like

by Andie Mitchell on November 29, 2012

roasted chickpeas

I’ve discovered a new snack.

rinsing chickpeas

drying chickpeas

And it fits all of my snack food criteria. It’s crunchy. It’s pop-in-my-mouthable. It’s got protein and fiber. I can adjust it to be sweet or savory, depending on the day or my mood or the number of cupcakes I’m currently craving.

roasted chickpeas

Roasted chickpeas are crispy on the outside and softer on the inside. They can be seasoned and spiced in a dozen different ways to suit your cravings. I love that they’re healthy, but I love more that they’re outside of the ordinary snack box ideas.

Below is the bare bones recipe for roasting them, but feel free to add any of the following to tailor the recipe to your tastes:

• a sprinkling of white or brown sugar
  • a drizzle of maple syrup, honey, or agave nectar
  • grated Parmesan cheese
  • spices: cinnamon, curry powder, garlic powder, coriander, chili powder, cumin

Roasted Chickpeas

1, 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained, rinsed, and dried with a towel
1 tablespoon oil (canola, olive, safflower, coconut-any kind you prefer)
1 teaspoon salt

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. In a medium bowl, toss the chickpeas with oil. Spread them on a large, rimmed baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt and any additional seasoning/spice you like. Roast for about 30 minutes, or until the chickpeas begin to brown.

Liz @ Tip Top Shape November 29, 2012 at 5:54 pm

I have a deep love for roasted chickpeas. They are basically the perfect food :D

Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) November 29, 2012 at 6:02 pm

These are one of my favorite snacks – I love how versatile they are! My recent favorite is adding zatar – yum!

Cinnamon Vogue November 29, 2012 at 6:05 pm

Oh these are really good Andie. Reminds me of all the natural snacks in the Indian stores. My mother does one with pieces of coconut and lime.

jesspants November 29, 2012 at 8:37 pm

I heart roasted chickpeas SO HARD. Olive oil, garlic, and sea salt is my favorite seasoning combo. :)

Beth November 29, 2012 at 9:44 pm

Sounds really really yummy! I’m going to try it!

Eamonn November 30, 2012 at 1:38 am

Just curious, about how long will these last prior to eating?

Bailey @ Onederland or Bust November 30, 2012 at 5:12 am

I love chickpeas and roasted ones are even better!

Stephanie Rose November 30, 2012 at 6:06 am

I found a recipe like this while searching the internet a year ago and have been HOOKED ever since. My favorite way to roast them:

Garlic powder
Chili powder
Cumin powder
LITTLE bit of cayenne pepper powder
Salt & Pepper to taste

Sooooo yummy!

Betty November 30, 2012 at 6:14 am

Now THIS is definitely a recipe I will try. Love all your ideas, but some I know I won’t make. . . this one though, yep!! THANKS!!

Rachel O. November 30, 2012 at 6:30 am

These are my favorite. Hungarian paprika. Adds a nice spice to the crunch.

Leah November 30, 2012 at 7:07 am

And you forgot to mention CHEAP! Nothing like a nutritious snack thats quick, easy and low cost. Def trying these – thanks :)

Pheralyn November 30, 2012 at 7:09 am

Hi Andie,
Thanks for sharing this recipe. Can’t wait to try it!

TJ November 30, 2012 at 7:14 am

Hmmmmmm, sounds good! Thanks for the great idea.

Brie November 30, 2012 at 7:16 am

OK, I tried a recipe similar to this one time. I was so excited…but… the result was TERRIBLE. :o( I was so disappointed. Any tips for this being fool-proof? I’m tempted to try again! :o)

Jen November 30, 2012 at 12:38 pm

Me too! The texture was just awful. They were all either crispy, or woolly. So disappointed. I was really hoping to love them.

sanjay mehra December 2, 2012 at 5:01 pm

Try soaking them in water for a few hours before roasting. It softens it up. I soak them overnight.

neonspndx November 30, 2012 at 8:33 am

This is brilliant. Thank you for sharing.

Nancy @ Rivertreekitchen November 30, 2012 at 8:57 am

We love these too, usually with a sprinkle of Penzey’s Cajun seasoning. They’re a great topping for salad instead of croutons, or stirred into pasta, as well as all by their little selves.

Alisha November 30, 2012 at 9:06 am

Have you done this with the “cook your own” version? I would assume it’d be healthier but I also have a bag of em and no idea what to do with them. If your way works with them, that’d be AWESOME!

Rachel November 30, 2012 at 9:50 am

I’ve never tried them roasted, but I love them on my salads. I definitely will have to try them roasted. Sounds like something I would love. Thanks, Andrea :)

Shannon November 30, 2012 at 9:54 am

My favorite combo: sesame oil, soy sauce, and chili powder. Here’s a list of some more, via The Kitchn, if anybody’s interested!

Amelia November 30, 2012 at 10:18 am

I love roasted chickpeas! I use olive oil and cumin. They’re a great alternative to croutons in a falafel salad.

Julia November 30, 2012 at 11:09 am

I am a huge fan of roasted chickpeas. So easy, tasty and healthy.

Bek @ Crave November 30, 2012 at 4:54 pm

Ugh yes! I am determined to bring these to a Christmas event!!! Actually I’ve got one coming up that’d be perfect!

Emily @ www.main-eats.com November 30, 2012 at 5:05 pm

I tried to do this once and it wasn’t great…but you’ve convinced me to try again! Your pictures make them look great!

Aubrey December 1, 2012 at 6:56 am

I had a can of chickpeas and no idea what to do with them, so last night I tried this. My perfect snack! Couldn’t be easier or faster, and they’re tasty without making me want to eat a whole pound of them. Thanks!

Darya December 1, 2012 at 12:50 pm

Oh, I love your post! And I love chickpeas. I also very recently discovered this snack, and made it with curry, ginger, fleur de sel and olive oil. It was eaten within seconds!
I really really like your suggestion of using garlic powder, MUST TRY IT. Thanks!

Camille Willemain December 1, 2012 at 10:55 pm

Ahhh I die!! Amazing salad topper my love.

Lizzie December 2, 2012 at 10:37 am

I had no idea you could roast chickpeas!!! I am itching to try this out. Thank you for sharing!!!

Cook In / Dine Out December 2, 2012 at 5:15 pm

Nice! I roasted chickpeas for the first time recently and really loved them. I’m planning to feature them in a salad recipe on my blog in the next few weeks along with crispy roasted kale and dried cranberries.

JR December 3, 2012 at 6:53 am

Brown sugar and curry (with some cumin, I think). Sounds weird, but the sweet/spicy combo is awesome.

Maeve December 3, 2012 at 10:20 pm

We have these as roadside snacks in India! they are super crunchy though when you buy from a road vendor

Meg December 4, 2012 at 7:17 am

Yum–I adore roast chickpeas! My current favorite is chili and sea salt, with the zest of a lime added while they’re still warm. So good!

Wendy December 6, 2012 at 7:13 am

I made these last night. They were awesome right out of the oven, but I stored them in an airtight container, making sure to cool them completely before I sealed it and today they were mushy! I let them bake for 30 minutes. Should I go longer? How do you suggest storing them?

admin December 6, 2012 at 11:06 am

Hmm, that’s strange! I wish I had an answer for you, but I don’t know why that would have happened. I’m sorry!

Carol December 12, 2012 at 12:34 pm

I must try this – perfect work snack!

ASuburbanLife December 12, 2012 at 7:03 pm

I’ve never been able to make these successfully, but you’ve inspired me to try again!

Erin December 14, 2012 at 2:38 pm

I love roasted chickpeas! I like to bring the chickpeas to a boil in just enough white vinegar to cover them, and let sit off the heat for about 20 minutes. Drain, and toss them in oil and salt before baking and you have a very yummy substitute for salt and vinegar chips :o)

Ellen Hucknall December 30, 2012 at 1:22 am

will try these-they sound wonderful

Caitlin Collins January 3, 2013 at 3:00 pm

Just made these with curry powder and they were freaking delicious! I’m having a hard time stopping myself from running to the store for more chickpeas… garlic powder + pecorino is going to be next.

2tailed_fox January 21, 2013 at 11:16 am

Any idea on how long they can be stored and the best way to store? I plan on making them and keeping them in the car for a “quick fix” snack…unlike candy, these won’t melt in the heat and, of course, they’re better for me.

admin January 21, 2013 at 2:28 pm

Hey there,
For storage: Keep them in an airtight container (or sealable plastic bags) for up to four days at room temperature.

Lynn January 22, 2013 at 11:04 am

Yum! Made these yesterday with garlic and smoked paprika. We polished off the entire batch before dinner! Trying roasted white kidney beans today. My one resolution was to eat more beans this year, as I used to loathe them, but they are too healthy and cheap to ignore any longer!

Carmenb January 30, 2013 at 3:19 pm

Made my 1st batch…recipe going into my permanent file! Did 1 can. Seasoned 1/2 with just Sea Salt (yum), did the other 1/2 with McCormicks Salad Supreme (YUM)! Think they will be perfect for my monthly hospital guild Bake Sale. Happy to keep my ex-coworkers healthy & happy too! (Smoked Paprika?…humm…gotta try that next!!!)

Margaret February 1, 2013 at 1:05 am

Are there any other beans that could be substituted? I absolutely loath chickpeas.

admin February 1, 2013 at 9:09 am

Hmmm…I’ve never tried, but I have a feeling Great Northern beans (a white bean) would work, or any type of white bean for that matter. But that is just a guess for now.

If you try it, I’d love to hear your results!

Margaret February 1, 2013 at 9:21 am

I’ve decided to try edamame. Hoping it works out since I live in the south and there’s always a field of soy beans nearby in the summer.

Margaret February 1, 2013 at 8:24 pm

It’s a resounding YES on the edamame. I used coconut oil, kosher salt, black pepper and just a tiny bit of ground red pepper. I bought 2 8 oz bags of frozen ones. Only defrosted and roasted one bag but the other one will be out of the freezer in a couple of days. Gonna add a little garlic powder to the next batch.

Can’t wait to see what my 3 yr old granddaughter thinks of them. Will be hard to save her a few until tomorrow. That other bag may have to come out of the freezer in the morning.

Thanks so much for the inspiration. Chips have been so hard to give up and this will really help. I’ve read almost your whole site and have loved it. You are a such talented writer and I hope you keep it up.