Roasted Chickpeas, Any Way You Like

roasted chickpeas

I’ve discovered a new snack.

rinsing chickpeas

drying chickpeas

And it fits all of my snack food criteria. It’s crunchy. It’s pop-in-my-mouthable. It’s got protein and fiber. I can adjust it to be sweet or savory, depending on the day or my mood or the number of cupcakes I’m currently craving.

roasted chickpeas

Roasted chickpeas are crispy on the outside and softer on the inside. They can be seasoned and spiced in a dozen different ways to suit your cravings. I love that they’re healthy, but I love more that they’re outside of the ordinary snack box ideas.

Below is the bare bones recipe for roasting them, but feel free to add any of the following to tailor the recipe to your tastes:

• a sprinkling of white or brown sugar
  • a drizzle of maple syrup, honey, or agave nectar
  • grated Parmesan cheese
  • spices: cinnamon, curry powder, garlic powder, coriander, chili powder, cumin

Roasted Chickpeas

1, 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained, rinsed, and dried with a towel
1 tablespoon oil (canola, olive, safflower, coconut-any kind you prefer)
1 teaspoon salt

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. In a medium bowl, toss the chickpeas with oil. Spread them on a large, rimmed baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt and any additional seasoning/spice you like. Roast for about 30 minutes, or until the chickpeas begin to brown.

Comments

1. says

I found a recipe like this while searching the internet a year ago and have been HOOKED ever since. My favorite way to roast them:

Garlic powder
    Chili powder
    Cumin powder
    LITTLE bit of cayenne pepper powder
    Salt & Pepper to taste

Sooooo yummy!

2. Betty says

Now THIS is definitely a recipe I will try. Love all your ideas, but some I know I won’t make. . . this one though, yep!! THANKS!!

3. Leah says

And you forgot to mention CHEAP! Nothing like a nutritious snack thats quick, easy and low cost. Def trying these – thanks :)

4. Brie says

OK, I tried a recipe similar to this one time. I was so excited…but… the result was TERRIBLE. :o( I was so disappointed. Any tips for this being fool-proof? I’m tempted to try again! :o)

5. Alisha says

Have you done this with the “cook your own” version? I would assume it’d be healthier but I also have a bag of em and no idea what to do with them. If your way works with them, that’d be AWESOME!

6. Rachel says

I’ve never tried them roasted, but I love them on my salads. I definitely will have to try them roasted. Sounds like something I would love. Thanks, Andrea :)

7. Aubrey says

I had a can of chickpeas and no idea what to do with them, so last night I tried this. My perfect snack! Couldn’t be easier or faster, and they’re tasty without making me want to eat a whole pound of them. Thanks!

8. says

Oh, I love your post! And I love chickpeas. I also very recently discovered this snack, and made it with curry, ginger, fleur de sel and olive oil. It was eaten within seconds!
    I really really like your suggestion of using garlic powder, MUST TRY IT. Thanks!

9. says

Nice! I roasted chickpeas for the first time recently and really loved them. I’m planning to feature them in a salad recipe on my blog in the next few weeks along with crispy roasted kale and dried cranberries.

10. Meg says

Yum–I adore roast chickpeas! My current favorite is chili and sea salt, with the zest of a lime added while they’re still warm. So good!

11. Wendy says

I made these last night. They were awesome right out of the oven, but I stored them in an airtight container, making sure to cool them completely before I sealed it and today they were mushy! I let them bake for 30 minutes. Should I go longer? How do you suggest storing them?

• admin says

Hmm, that’s strange! I wish I had an answer for you, but I don’t know why that would have happened. I’m sorry!

12. Erin says

I love roasted chickpeas! I like to bring the chickpeas to a boil in just enough white vinegar to cover them, and let sit off the heat for about 20 minutes. Drain, and toss them in oil and salt before baking and you have a very yummy substitute for salt and vinegar chips :o)

13. Caitlin Collins says

Just made these with curry powder and they were freaking delicious! I’m having a hard time stopping myself from running to the store for more chickpeas… garlic powder + pecorino is going to be next.

14. 2tailed_fox says

Any idea on how long they can be stored and the best way to store? I plan on making them and keeping them in the car for a “quick fix” snack…unlike candy, these won’t melt in the heat and, of course, they’re better for me.

• admin says

Hey there,
      For storage: Keep them in an airtight container (or sealable plastic bags) for up to four days at room temperature.

15. Lynn says

Yum! Made these yesterday with garlic and smoked paprika. We polished off the entire batch before dinner! Trying roasted white kidney beans today. My one resolution was to eat more beans this year, as I used to loathe them, but they are too healthy and cheap to ignore any longer!

16. Carmenb says

Made my 1st batch…recipe going into my permanent file! Did 1 can. Seasoned 1/2 with just Sea Salt (yum), did the other 1/2 with McCormicks Salad Supreme (YUM)! Think they will be perfect for my monthly hospital guild Bake Sale. Happy to keep my ex-coworkers healthy & happy too! (Smoked Paprika?…humm…gotta try that next!!!)

• admin says

Hmmm…I’ve never tried, but I have a feeling Great Northern beans (a white bean) would work, or any type of white bean for that matter. But that is just a guess for now.

If you try it, I’d love to hear your results!

• Margaret says

I’ve decided to try edamame. Hoping it works out since I live in the south and there’s always a field of soy beans nearby in the summer.

• Margaret says

It’s a resounding YES on the edamame. I used coconut oil, kosher salt, black pepper and just a tiny bit of ground red pepper. I bought 2 8 oz bags of frozen ones. Only defrosted and roasted one bag but the other one will be out of the freezer in a couple of days. Gonna add a little garlic powder to the next batch.

Can’t wait to see what my 3 yr old granddaughter thinks of them. Will be hard to save her a few until tomorrow. That other bag may have to come out of the freezer in the morning.

Thanks so much for the inspiration. Chips have been so hard to give up and this will really help. I’ve read almost your whole site and have loved it. You are a such talented writer and I hope you keep it up.

Trackbacks