Lamb Meatballs with Parsley and Apricot

by Andie Mitchell on December 8, 2012

lamb meatballs

Lamb has a delicate flavor. Tasted alone, there’s a sweetness to it, a luxuriousness you don’t find in other meats. It’s softer, more likely to make you pause mid-chew to marvel at its richness.

If ever lamb graces a menu, I’m almost assuredly ordering it. I love it that much. Braised lamb shank? I’ll take it. Lamb chops? Send them over. Spiced lamb burger with mint? Swoon.

Here, I’ve upgraded traditional beef meatballs to a deluxe version with lamb. Sweet apricot, bright parsley, rich lamb, sharp garlic, and coriander.

The marriage of flavors is downright delightful.

Lamb Meatballs
adapted from RealSimple
makes 20 meatballs

• 1 pound ground lamb
  • 1/4 cup fresh flat leaf parsley (a handful), finely chopped
  • 1/4 cup dried apricots, finely chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  1. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Use your hands to mix until well blended.
  2. Roll the mixture into 20 meatballs.
  3. Place on a foil lined broiler pan and broil for 8-10 minutes, until the meatballs are cooked through and no longer pink in the centers.

Nutrition information per meatball: Calories: 138, Fat: 10.6 g, Carbohydrate: 2.6 g, Fiber: 0.3 g, Sugars: 1.7 g, Protein: 7.7 g

photo by: Skånska Matupplevelser

britainknee December 8, 2012 at 10:11 am

I feel the same way about lamb- if it’s on the menu, it’s what I’m ordering. The dried apricots sound like a unique and flavorful addition!

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic December 8, 2012 at 11:17 am

I’m learning to like lamb more and more, but still haven’t made it myself at home. This looks like a great “starter” recipe for me!

Samantha December 8, 2012 at 2:10 pm

Andie, this looks delish. I love Lamb too! just wondering, how many servings would you say the 20 meatballs is?

Julia December 8, 2012 at 3:56 pm

I actually love lamb and we eat it from time to time in my family. I haven’t thought to make meatballs out of it though. I love the idea! Yum.

Kelsey December 9, 2012 at 7:57 am

This looks like a really good, balanced mix of flavours. Can’t wait to try it out! :) x x

Chelsea December 9, 2012 at 10:51 am

I just made this for dinner and it was awesome, fiance approved! Though we ate it as an entree, it would make an excellent party h’ourderve. Thank you for sharing this!

Camille Willemain December 9, 2012 at 12:00 pm

Your photos just get more and more amazing by the day. Can’t wait to make these once I live somewhere that actually has things like lamb and apricots instead of black beans and mango ;)

Jen December 11, 2012 at 9:18 am

Made these last night, and they were terrific! I’m definitely pulling this recipe out next time I’m invited to a potluck.

Sylvia Dewy November 26, 2013 at 6:08 am

WOW! the recipe looks so amazing. I like lamb meat and I am sure going to try this recipe for my next dinner plan with my friends. Thanks for such a great recipe! :)