Chocolate Glazed Pumpkin Doughnuts

gingerbread doughnuts

I think it says a great deal about me that the word ‘doughnut’ appears in my memoir a whopping 28 times. My editor– bless her sweet literary heart–cringed at nearly every mention, noticing that I’d chosen to drop the ‘ugh’ and spell it more colloquially, ‘donut.’

It wasn’t until I’d read through all of her notes in the margins of my manuscript, when I’d arrived at the final chapter and saw the misspelling for the last time, that I understood how thin her patience had worn. She wrote, in all caps, with the lead of her pencil grooving into the white paper, “DOUGHNUT!”

gingerbread doughnuts

That single edit was how I learned to spell doughnut properly, just a brief twenty-seven years into life. I’m certain it will serve me well from here on out.

gingerbread doughnuts

To start over with a clean slate–to repent for decades-long slights of spelling–I baked them. Doughnuts.

gingerbread doughnuts

Doughnuts robed in chocolate. Luscious, luscious, chocolate.

The cake rings themselves are the same warm and spicy baked pumpkin doughnuts I baked last month, minus the cinnamon-sugar crunch. The recipe was so lovely and delicious the first time around; it begged to be remade. Adding a layer of chocolate was just icing on the cake, quite literally.

The doughnut–plain–is fluffy, light, and gently sweet, while the glaze, by nature, is rich and decadent. Eaten together, the two balance each other. Trust me, they’re bliss-inducing.

For the doughnut recipe, click here.

gingerbread doughnuts

Chocolate Glaze
adapted from Alton Brown, Food Network
makes enough to coat 12 doughnuts

• 1/4 cup unsalted butter
  • 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
  • 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  1. Combine butter and corn syrup in medium saucepan and heat over medium heat until butter is melted.
  2. Decrease the heat to low, add the chocolate, and whisk until melted.
  3. Turn off heat, add the powdered sugar, and whisk until smooth.
  4. Place the mixture over a bowl of warm water and dip the doughnuts immediately. Allow glaze to set for 30 minutes before serving.

Nutrition Info for 1 plain baked pumpkin doughnut without topping (recipe here): Calories: 119, Fat: 1g, Carb: 29g, Fiber: 1g, Sugars 14g, Protein: 3g

Nutrition Info for Chocolate Glaze (1/12th of full glaze recipe, enough to frost 1 doughnut): Calories: 99.7, Total Fat: 5.3 g, Carbohydrate13.3 g, Fiber: 0.1 g, Sugars:10.7 g, Protein: 0.5 g

Comments

1. says

Andie that donut story made me laugh!!! This is why everyone loves you. You have a certain “ je ne sais quoi ” that is just very likeable. But now you have done it. Not only have you made the dreaded doughnut, you have used light corn syrup. Is this a lighter version of the terrible GMO High Fructose Corn syrup? Tell me it isn’t so! Don’t get me wrong. I love Doughnuts. But corn syrup. How could you? You better make something really good next time to redeem yourself with this transgression.

2. says

Cinnamon, I literally LOLed at your comment. Not that it was funny, but how absurd it is! Give her a break. It’s not like she listed “cancer” as one of the ingredients! Remember, it’s all about moderation!

3. says

No matter how you spell it, I love ’em! 😀

What a fabulous looking recipe. This reminds me of making doughnuts with my Memere in her kitchen. She’d hand me one hot off the fryer and I can still taste and smell the deliciousness of it all. Yum! Thanks for sharing yet another great recipe with all of us. 😀

4. Hootie says

I made the sugar coated pumpkin doughnuts tonight for the second time tonight bc they are ahhhmazing!!!! Accidentally left out the egg and I have to say didn’t miss it much so is u wanna shave 70 cals off of the batch you can :) I LOVE the original donuts and will definitely try them with white chocolate. My husband used a lot of expletives in a very complimentary way the first time I made him these donuts and I have shared the link with everybody I love :)

5. Hootie says

Oh and donut….it totally reveals that you are a true doughnut fan bc you have apparently been to dunkin donuts enough times to transpose that spelling onto the word. Tell your editor she is not a true fan :)

6. Christine says

Intentional misspellings are a huge pet peeve of mine. Krispy Kreme? Really?! What are we teaching our youth?

Andie, I just found your site today while doing a search for a whipped frosting. I will be back to read more for sure. I had gastric bypass surgery in 2001, and I have not met my goal weight. I’ve struggled with my love of food, and so far, the food has won. I love that you are finding the right balance in your life. Congrats to you!

Happy New Year!
    –Christine

7. says

First of all, I LOVE that you have a donut (sorry, I’m lazy!) recipe here and Second, that it’s covered with chocolate!
    YAY!
    Just so you know, I will be making these tomorrow and nomming down on them (in moderation, of course!)

Trackbacks