Lightened Up Parsley Walnut Pesto

by Andie Mitchell on December 17, 2012

salmon

Whir this in your blender

tonight, if you can.

Then spoon it onto pan-seared salmon or chicken.

Crumble a block of feta cheese with your fingers,

and scatter a handful over the top.

Serve it at your table, surrounded by everyone you know and love.

Parsley Walnut Pesto
makes 6 servings

• 1/4 cup yogurt
  • 1/4 cup walnuts
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 2 cups fresh flat leaf parsley
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper

Combine all ingredients in a food processor. Blend until well combined.

Nutrition information per serving: Calories: 119, Fat: 12.5 g, Carbohydrate: 1.4 g, Fiber: 0.3 g, Sugar: 0.8 g, Protein: 1.3 g

Cinnamon Vogue December 17, 2012 at 7:11 pm

YUM YUM YUM. This walnut idea sounds yummy!. But buying Salmon is always a hit and miss affair for me. I don’t whether it’s I am grilling it wrong or whether the cut of Salmon is maybe somehow defective. Sometimes it comes out great and other times just tough and tasteless. I presume this is farmed Salmon Andie? Also is this nutrient information just for the Salmon or with the ingredients?

admin December 17, 2012 at 7:27 pm

Oh I hear you on the salmon being hit or miss! I do try to buy wild almost exclusively. This piece was sent to me, frozen, by the Alaska Seafood Board, a few months ago. The recipe and the nutrition information are only for the pesto alone (no salmon, etc).

Thank you for all of your faithful reading and commenting, Cinnamon Vogue :) I love that I can count on you being here.

Emily December 22, 2012 at 2:24 pm

I personally like my salmon slightly undercooked. I pull it out just when the edges start to look cooked. It always cooks a little more once it’s out of the oven, but it stayed moist and very full of flavor!

Cinnamon Vogue December 17, 2012 at 8:30 pm

You are welcome Andie! Although I am going broke buying all these ingredients. :-) Oh well you only live once. Tomorrow it is off to buy Walnuts and Salmon. I am getting a real craving. Perhaps a nice Riesling to go with it. I heard a fatty fish like Salmon needs a bit of acidity and the Riesling is the thing apparently.

Rocio December 18, 2012 at 10:05 am

All your recipies look so amazing!

Colleen December 18, 2012 at 10:33 am

This looks AMAZING! I’m hoping to cook more again after the holidays. Been relying on the crock pot and take out lately.

April December 18, 2012 at 4:10 pm

Sounds wonderful! I use walnuts in my basil pesto and I love it, so I can’t wait to try this version. Thanks!

Kim December 19, 2012 at 7:54 am

Your the coolest Andie…keep up the good work!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape December 19, 2012 at 2:10 pm

Such a great recipe, Andie! Thanks for sharing :D

Sara December 21, 2012 at 10:48 am

This totally saved my rear (dinner-wise!) the other night. What I had originally planned turned out to be a no-go, and I needed a quick back-up plan! I had salmon and also just happened to have chopped walnuts and an excess of parsley sitting around (that never happens). I remembered this post and threw this together so fast – and it was delicious! My husband loved it too. Thank you so much for sharing it with us!

Anne December 21, 2012 at 11:00 am

Great recipes, Andie – and this pesto is really interesting. Never thought of using yoghurt in pesto…. Another good addition though is to spice up the pesto a bit more with a hint of cilantro or nasturtium (I have a ton of nasturtiums and parsley right now).

David Crichton December 22, 2012 at 6:34 am

Loving the flavour combos Andie. I find when making a parsley pesto as its quite bitter, that I use a half oil/water mixture. A really good extra virgin olive oil, like eating really strong cheese means you need less for the flavour hit.

Love your whole blog btw. Learning some new tricks.

Imane January 24, 2013 at 6:28 pm

Would like to subscribe to your site….

Amy January 26, 2013 at 4:30 pm

Can you suggest a substitute for yogurt? Maybe a little more olive oil or can you think of something else? I can’t have yogurt (among many other foods) because it gives me migraines. Thanks!! I just stumbled upon your blog today and I bookmarked it!

admin January 28, 2013 at 11:26 am

Hi Amy, I’d say increase the olive oil by 2 tablespoons and increase the walnuts by 2 tablespoons and then you’ll be fine to omit the yogurt altogether!

Thanks for asking!