Chicken Parmesan Burgers

by Andie Mitchell on January 20, 2013

turkey parmesan burgers-2

I’m on a burger bender.

turkey parmesan burgers-5

It’s come to the point where I’ve even hauled the grill back outside.

turkey burgers-4

And now that I’m back in touch with that delicious charring, I don’t foresee being able to stop anytime soon.
turkey burgers-3

So…winter barbecue, anyone?

turkey parmesan burgers-6

……………………………….

These burgers have all of the flavors that I love about Italian chicken Parmesan, with only a fraction of the fat and calories. Lean ground chicken breast is generously seasoned with garlic, basil, oregano, and made bulkier with the addition of sauteed onion and sweet red pepper. Smother it in rich tomato sauce, top it with mozzarella cheese, tuck it between two slices of toasted Italian bread, and serve it alongside your favorite salad for a perfect weeknight meal.

Chicken Parmesan Burgers

makes 4 burgers

For the burgers:

1 pound 93% lean ground chicken breast (or ground turkey breast)

1 teaspoon olive oil

1/2 cup finely chopped onion

1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper

2 cloves garlic

2 scallions, finely chopped

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon pepper

1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano

2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil (or 1 ½ teaspoons dried basil)

Toppings:

4 ounces (1 cup shredded) mozzarella cheese

1 ½ cups marinara sauce, homemade (try this recipe) or store-bought

In a small skillet over medium heat, sauté onion and bell pepper for two minutes, until just beginning to soften. Add garlic, turn off the heat, and stir for 30 seconds. Remove to a small bowl and let cool slightly.

In a large bowl, combine remaining burger ingredients (do not add the mozzarella cheese or marinara sauce). Add the cooled onion/pepper mixture and use your hands to mix well.

Form 4 evenly sized patties.

Preheat your oven’s broiler. Place the patties on a lightly greased baking pan and broil for 4-5 minutes per side, until the burgers are no longer pink in their centers.

Remove the patties from the oven and cover each with a thin layer of marinara sauce, reserving the remaining sauce to spread on buns/rolls for serving. Next, divide the mozzarella cheese evenly among the patties. Return the pan under the broiler for about 1 minute—just long enough for the cheese to melt.  Serve immediately on your choice of bread or sandwich buns with remaining marinara sauce if desired.

Nutrition Information for 1 Chicken Patty, Plain (without marinara sauce or cheese): Calories 182, Fat 9.2 g, Total Carbohydrate 2.9 g, Dietary Fiber 0.6 g, Sugars 0.6 g, Protein 22.4 g

Nutrition Information for 1 Chicken Patty with Marinara Sauce and Cheese: Calories 321.8, Total Fat 17.5 g, Total Carbohydrate 11.2 g, Dietary Fiber 2.8 g, Sugars 5.8 g, Protein 30.8 g

Cinnamon Vogue January 20, 2013 at 10:50 pm

OK Andie, you are officially as nutty as I am. A winter burger!? LOL. I like your style! I guess you guys must be suffering in that cold while we West coast people enjoy the lovely weather. I never want to see snow again, having lived in Toronto for many years. Hey does Mozzarella work better with a chicken burger? Because I am a sharp cheddar cheese (despite all the lactose intolerance) and burger fan. The Oregano is course a touch of genius with the chicken.

Kirthan January 20, 2013 at 10:50 pm

I love anything covered in cheese and this looks especially good. I can’t wait to try making some of your burgers, but mine will have to be cooked on my George Foreman grill!

Diane @ Vintage Zest January 21, 2013 at 2:57 am

What’s the best method for checking to see when the burgers are no longer pink in the center? I don’t want to keep poking at them because I have a slight fear of eating raw chicken. Thanks!

Kris January 21, 2013 at 10:23 am

“Burger Bender”! LOL. (I live in the Northeast so I get it…I purchased a grill pan 2 weeks ago because I NEEDED something grilled and I’m too much of a whimp to go outside. Have had lean burgers FOUR times since then.) Chicken parm burgers is GENIUS and I can’t wait to try them! I think they’d work well on the grill pan with just finishing the mozzarella under the broiler. Just added the ingredients to my shopping list… Thank you for your creativity and for sharing! Have tried several of your recipes and loved them all.

Becky W. January 21, 2013 at 10:33 am

Looks very yummy! I’m not comfortable using a gas or charcoal grill. Do you think these would work on something like a George Foreman grill?

admin January 21, 2013 at 11:17 am

Hey Becky,
Yes, definitely! In fact, these burgers are perfectly fine when broiled. The recipe above calls for broiling, which is the way I’d cook them if I hadn’t pulled the grill out :)

Becky W. January 21, 2013 at 12:53 pm

Wonderful! Thanks so much for the speedy reply Andie. :)

Olivia January 21, 2013 at 12:20 pm

Holy mother of delicious burgers, these look FANTASTIC!!! I’m a huuuuge burger and chicken parmesan fan, so this is basically calling my name. Hip, hip, hooray for winter BBQ!

Kristal January 21, 2013 at 12:28 pm

We grill all winter long, even though we live in frigid Wisconsin. Just last week, we made chicken fajitas on the grill when it was 15 degrees! My mouth is watering at the thought of these burgers. The ingredients are going on my grocery list for next week. Yum!

Becky W. January 21, 2013 at 12:56 pm

Hi Kristal, I grew up in frigid WI and visit it often. Yes, it is frigid especially today! I live in NE Iowa currently and even here our windchill is -29 degrees right now. Brrr! I applaud you for being a true Wisconsinite and grilling year round! :) ~Becky

Kayte January 21, 2013 at 12:37 pm

Thank you for including the nutritional info!

Rachel Murphree January 21, 2013 at 12:42 pm

Yummers! Lucky for me, southern California at the beach means perfect BBQ weather in January. :)
These will also be perfect as sliders for our Super Bowl party!

Chels R. January 21, 2013 at 4:28 pm

Wow- That looks Aaamazing!

Cassie @redletterDaye January 21, 2013 at 9:45 pm

OMG. I’m waiting for some chicken on the grill and I so wish it was one of those burgers instead. I need to make those pronto. I usually choose beef, too, if I’m making a burger, because turkey/chicken burgers can be flavorless, but those look amazing! (Drool.)

Rocio January 22, 2013 at 9:33 am

Oh my God your blog makes me want to eat everything you make.

Jess February 12, 2013 at 4:38 pm

I think I love your blog…everything looks so good! LOL I’m pinning like crazy!

Ashley February 13, 2013 at 12:31 pm

Made these last week and they were delicious! Nice change from a regular burger. Thanks for posting!

Anna May 17, 2013 at 4:27 pm

This recipe was an absolute hit at my house! These burgers were so flavorful, not to mention easy to make! Thank you so much for posting this. I know this will be a go-to in our household when we’re craving burgers but looking to stay somewhat healthy!

jennifer August 31, 2013 at 10:08 am

These recipes sound delicious.