20 Minute Skillet: Chicken with Sun Dried Tomatoes and Feta

by Andie Mitchell on January 27, 2013

chicken sun dried tomatoes-11

“Like everything she buys, this jar of sun dried tomatoes was impulsive,” said my bank account.

Despite my excitement about it at the market, it’s been sitting in my pantry for two weeks next to all of my other fantastically rushed decisions. Only today did I even begin to consider plucking it from the shelf for use.

chicken sun dried tomatoes-03

And I am so glad that I did.

chicken sun dried tomatoes-13

Sun dried tomatoes packed in olive oil have an ultra concentrated sweetness to them. They’re so bursting with intensity that even just a few of them go a long way in adding interest to a dish.

Tonight, my goal was quick, easy, and packed with flavor. To that end, I chose to saute strips of simply seasoned chicken in the olive oil that surrounded the tomatoes in their jar, knowing that the infused oil would impart a bit of its richness to the chicken.

chicken sun dried tomatoes-01

I then added a truly staggering amount of garlic (we can never skimp!), the remainder of the jar of sweet sun dried tomatoes, and a mound of tangy feta, and in the end, the whole dish came together in 20 minutes.

This is the kind of meal to keep in your recipe rotation for busy weeknights. The ingredient list is short; the directions are straightforward; and the flavor is brilliant.

Enjoy.

chicken sun dried tomatoes-06

20 Minute Skillet: Chicken with Sun Dried Tomatoes and Feta

1 (8-ounce) jar sun dried tomatoes in olive oil (must be oil-packed; found in the produce section or with the canned tomatoes)

4 cloves garlic, minced

1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into thin strips

½ teaspoon salt

½ teaspoon black pepper

1 tablespoon dried oregano

¾ cup crumbled feta cheese

Remove the sun dried tomatoes from their jar, carefully draining the excess olive oil, and reserve 1 tablespoon of oil for later use. Lay the tomatoes on a cutting board and press gently with a paper towel to absorb more of the oil; discard the towel. Finely chop the tomatoes and set aside.

Pour the reserved tablespoon of the oil from the sun dried tomato jar into a large skillet set over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and stir for 30 seconds to 1 minute, until fragrant. Add the chicken strips, sprinkle evenly with salt, pepper, and oregano, and sauté for 10-12 minutes, taking care to sear the strips on all sides, until no longer pink. Add the chopped sun dried tomatoes and the crumbled feta, and stir to combine. Serve immediately alongside your choice of vegetables and grains.

Nutrition Information for 1 Serving (1/4th of Entire Recipe): Calories 305, Total Fat 16.0 g, Total Carbohydrate 8.7 g, Dietary Fiber 1.7 g, Sugars 5.1 g, Protein 31.8 g

Diane @ Vintage Zest January 28, 2013 at 12:56 am

This is sooo in my cooking queue now. I am in love with sundried tomatoes and use them in everything! From eggs to veggie tarts and everything in between! I’m really bad at working protein into my meals, so this would be absolutely perfect!

FYI, later today I’m posting about your lettuce wraps (another recipe to up my protein intake), and they were ridiculously good! My guy agrees they need to be on the regular recipe rotation now.

Diane @ Vintage Zest January 28, 2013 at 3:14 am

FYI, here’s the link to my post! Thanks again!

Maria January 28, 2013 at 1:14 am

Oh my goodness, yum! I was just wondering, Andie, do you have an instagram?!

admin January 28, 2013 at 10:48 am

Hey Maria,
I do! http://followgram.me/andiemitchell

Brooke January 28, 2013 at 2:52 am

I love the simplicity and complexity of this recipe. What could be easier than three ingredients that create a beautiful, delicious gourmet dish! Thanks for sharing! :)

Heather @ SugarDish(Me) January 28, 2013 at 7:50 am

I am happy with any recipe including feta cheese. Why did I never think of this? I like to puree the sundried tomatoes in the blender and make a paste for sandwiches, but unless they accompany pasta it’s rare I leave them whole. Love this! Thank you!

Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) January 28, 2013 at 8:56 am

I love any dinner with feta cheese – yum!! This looks delicious!

Jane January 28, 2013 at 9:30 am

This recipe is right up my alley. I love the simplicity of dishes like this–not too heavy, and so full of flavor. Lovely!

Sherri January 28, 2013 at 3:29 pm

I just might be making this tonight! I have chicken tenderloins thawed out and have the other ingredients on-hand! Thanks for the idea!

Tammy January 28, 2013 at 5:04 pm

Yummy! I LOVE sundried tomatoes with everything!

tiffany @ dynamics of happy January 28, 2013 at 5:57 pm

hope you had a good bday andie!

here is a recipe for you, i know it would be just evil to not notify you after coming across it while browsing the internet:

admin January 28, 2013 at 8:12 pm

OMG THOSE BLONDIES! The peanut butter! The FLUFF!
Thank you Tiffany for brightening my day :)

Sarah (The Simple Dietitian) January 28, 2013 at 7:05 pm

I’m going to Pin this recipe and make it soon!! Looks delicious, fresh and easy. :D

Katrina January 28, 2013 at 8:06 pm

I make this ALL the time. Mostly n salmon, but I’ve made it on tilapia, chicken, pasta. Such an easy stand by!

admin January 28, 2013 at 8:15 pm

Love the idea of using salmon! I’ll have to try it.

Marianka January 29, 2013 at 9:12 am

I love sundried tomatoes! Your recipie sounds really tasty:)

Debra January 29, 2013 at 10:22 pm

This recipe rocks! I’ve been making something very similar to this for years. I add pasta and serve it cold as a salad. The oil in that jar is like gold. If I run out of this magic elixir, I just add more olive oil to the jar. FYI: You can get a VERY large jar at Costco for almost the same price as a small one at your local grocer. Thanks Andie!

admin January 29, 2013 at 10:36 pm

Such a great idea to serve it as a cold salad with pasta, Debra! And thanks for the tip about buying jars at Costco; I’ll be on the lookout next time I’m there.

Alaina @ Fabtastic Eats January 30, 2013 at 10:05 am

So easy and my favorite flavors! Im always looking for quick weeknight dinners! Thanks!

Kris January 31, 2013 at 8:05 pm

Made this tonight and it was delicious!!!! So quick and easy, and the flavors were perfect together. Thank you!

Julie January 31, 2013 at 9:21 pm

I made it tonight, too. Kris, your post says exactly what I was planning to say : ) Thanks for the delicious recipe, Andie!

Lynn February 6, 2013 at 5:07 am

I will be trying this soon. As in, tomorrow. A perfect use for the unopened container of feta I found in the fridge tonight! Plus, the fact that you made good use of not just the tomatoes, but the oil, makes me feel forgiven for failing twice – in the past week – at making my own sun dried tomatoes. Of course, you’d think a person trying to make sun dried tomatoes with out-of-season tomatoes and an oven, not the sun, might be smart enough to expect such an outcome…
Thanks to you, tomorrow I shall waltz gleefully into the store and make this jarred purchase with nary a twinge of guilt – with perhaps even a mild hair toss of triumph. Take that, out of season tomatoes!

Kris February 10, 2013 at 6:48 pm

I needed to post again about this recipe because – if you have leftovers (difficult feat because it’s so good)- it makes the most amazing chicken salad I’ve ever had. I added some Greek yogurt and scallions, and threw it in a wheat tortilla with greens. Perfection. So thank you for not one, but TWO great meals!

Renee February 19, 2013 at 8:48 pm

I usually cook myself a chicken breast…pretty plain. Tonight I tried this recipe. Oh my goodness! I love it! So tasty. Thank you so much for sharing. This might become my ‘regular’ chicken breast now. :)

Renee February 19, 2013 at 8:51 pm

I made this tonight in place of my boring chicken breast. So Yummy! Thanks for sharing. I will be making this repeatedly.

Bridget March 14, 2013 at 1:36 pm

This was ridiculously easy and delicious! And leftovers are perfect stuffed in a warm pita pocket and surrounded by lettuce – thanks for the new addition to the regular rotation!

Andrea March 17, 2013 at 10:10 pm

I just made this and it was amazing! I paired it with marinated peppers and mushrooms. Wonderful!

Carl March 22, 2013 at 10:58 pm

Looks incredible. My ex-girlfriend would eat this up – she loved feta so much she would put it on EVERYTHING.

Frieda March 28, 2013 at 5:17 pm

Made it tonight for a quick dinner. Sooooo good,
Fell off the cooking train the last few month and this was perfect to start again :)

Sully_04 April 1, 2013 at 7:14 pm

I made this tonight….it was simple and quite DELISH!

Katrina April 1, 2013 at 7:51 pm

So i made my salmon version again the other night, but instead of adding pasta I cooked the rice in 1/2 white wine , 1/2 water. Ummm… Yum! I also baked the salmon in the oven. I wasn’t eating it right away, so I laid the rice in a casserole dish, added more white wine, the tomatoes & cheese and topped with salmon. Then back into the oven for 20 min @ 350 when ready to eat. Yum & easy!

Heather E April 9, 2013 at 5:17 pm

I tried this today for the first time. It was wonderful! I served it up with a side of spaghetti squash for the perfect low-carb meal. My husband loved it. This one is going into rotation. Thank you.

Tara Garmon April 17, 2013 at 5:49 pm

my sundried tomatoes says that it has 24 servings in 8oz. 30 cal without oil in a serving. did yours have that many calories and that many servings?

Andie Mitchell April 17, 2013 at 9:39 pm

Hey Tara,

I don’t have any jars of the brand I used here at home right now, and I’ve tried to search online for more information on nutrition and serving sizes, but I can’t seem to find anything. 24 servings seems high, and I’d really find it strange that then the whole jar would be 720 calories–without oil. Seem off to me. Are you sure there’s no oil included in that nutrition info, or are you using a kind that doesn’t come packed in oil?

Erik May 6, 2013 at 9:27 pm

I stirred in some baby spinach before adding the feta cheese and cooked it until just wilted. Really good!

teachermrw May 15, 2013 at 7:45 pm

Cooked this this for dinner this evening. Very tasty, and, very easy! Re: proportions: I purchased the Victoria brand of dun-dried tomatoes in olive oil. A 7.5 ounce jar is approximately 400 calories; 1/4 serving = 100 calories.

teachermrw May 15, 2013 at 7:47 pm

I also wanted to add: per suggestion of a dear friend who is also a professional cook, I used McCormick Montreal Chicken Seasoning instead of the salt, pepper and oregano combination.

bethan dyer May 30, 2013 at 3:25 pm

This recipe is amazing! Thank you! Soooo yummy! I would recommend it to everyone!

Karen June 2, 2013 at 3:50 pm

Is there any other cheese you would suggest using instead of Feta?

Mallory June 18, 2013 at 6:30 pm

I make this to use the sun dried tomatoes that I got on a BOGO and extra feta. I loved it but my husband just thought it was okay. I am disappointed since I’d love to make it again. I may do as another poster suggested and try it as a pasta salad, maybe with orzo.

Gary Gemmell July 3, 2013 at 2:01 pm

I am going out to buy some sun dried tomatoes tomorrow – great recipe – looks quick , tasty and not too expensive – perfect!!!!

Great idea to use the oil in the tomatoes!!!!!!!

Melissa M July 22, 2013 at 7:33 pm

I definitely enjoyed this dressed up version of chicken breast! I wish I had read the comments before I started–adding the spinach and orzo would have made this a grand slam for me.

Kristin January 3, 2014 at 8:40 pm

I made this for dinner tonight and it was SO GOOD! I was expecting it to be pretty good, but it exceeded my expectations by far! Thank you for sharing your recipes. They are so good! I finally feel like I can eat healthy without eating bland and boring.

Elizabeth January 8, 2014 at 1:19 pm

Can’t wait to try this! What did everyone pair this with? I’m not sure if I should try pasta or rice. Thanks!

JanetP May 19, 2014 at 10:43 pm

Made this for the 2nd time this week – yummy! Tonight I added chopped fresh asparagus, about a tablespoon of pesto, 1/4 cup of whipping cream and tossed it with pasta before serving. Rave reviews.