Asian Almond Butter Dressing

by Andie Mitchell on January 31, 2013

peanut chicken salad-3

Second and last salad this week, I promise!

peanut chicken salad-1

It’s just—this dressing is great. For something that can be whisked together in under five minutes, it has a way of enhancing an otherwise ordinary salad of chicken and greens.

peanut chicken salad-2

I love almond butter because it has a slightly richer, more roasted flavor than peanut butter. And its natural sweetness complements soy sauce well in this Asian inspired salad.

peanut chicken salad-7

If you much prefer peanut butter, feel free to use that instead.

peanut chicken salad-4

Asian Almond Butter Dressing

makes 3-4 servings

1/4 cup creamy almond butter

2 tablespoons soy sauce

2 teaspoons honey

Pinch cayenne pepper

Whisk all ingredients until well blended. Add 1 tablespoon of warm water, stir, and then add more if desired to achieve a thinner consistency.

Assemble a crisp salad: chopped romaine lettuce, shredded red cabbage, shredded carrots, chopped scallions, and sliced pan-seared chicken breast. Toss with Asian almond dressing, sprinkle with chopped roasted almonds, and serve.

Nutrition Information for 1 Serving of Dressing (1/4th of Recipe): Calories 110, Total Fat 8.9 g, Total Carbohydrate 5.8 g, Dietary Fiber 1.6 g, Sugars 2.9 g, Protein 2.6 g

Emily January 31, 2013 at 12:53 am

Looks amazing! Do you think it would be a bad idea to swap agave for the honey?

admin January 31, 2013 at 9:50 am

Thanks Emily! I think agave would be a perfectly fine swap.

Diane @ Vintage Zest January 31, 2013 at 2:58 am

This looks like an easy, tasty salad dressing! I get so tired of unfulfulling salad dressings, this would be a welcome change.

I have a question for you. I noticed that on both this recipe and the lettuce wraps, your carrots are grated, but almost look like matchstick cuts. How do you get it to not be so thin? You can see that mine ended up superfine in the lettuce wraps. Thanks!

P.S. – On Top Chef tonight, the contestants had to use iceberg lettuce in a dish, and a couple of them were positively snobby about it! Boo!

admin January 31, 2013 at 9:52 am

Ooh yours look great, Diane! True story: I bought a bag of shredded carrots. I know. I just thought…these are so perfect for photography.

And funny about Top Chef. Haven’t they had a good wedge salad?! Or perfect crunchy beef tacos?! Come on!

Diane @ Vintage Zest January 31, 2013 at 10:44 am

I absolutely don’t blame you. Shredding is absolutely my least favorite kitchen duty. I usually delegate the duty to whomever is closest. :) I don’t mind mincing, measuring, or cleaning, I just detest using a grater.

Sorry to out you and thanks for the compliment!

Carrie @ Season It Already! January 31, 2013 at 9:55 am

Looks so easy and something other than the usual vinaigrette. Yum!

TJ January 31, 2013 at 10:00 am

Looks Delish! I love salad so it’s nice to have some ideas to try and change it up.

Jess January 31, 2013 at 10:25 am

I can only find normal Almond butter in England. What makes the creamy one… creamy?

admin January 31, 2013 at 10:45 am

Hey Jess,

Forgive me, I don’t quite understand your question. What is the almond butter like in England? Is it the crunchy kind? In that case, I’d say that the one I used here is just more finely ground. Sorry if I’m being a dimwit :)

Shelby January 31, 2013 at 10:40 am

Ohhhh, I am going to have to make this soon. I love me some almond butter! Thank you for the recipe! May be nice to switch things up. Lately I have just been putting a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar to dress my salads, not super exciting but I am feel like I can never find dressings that I like! Thanks again :)

Jess January 31, 2013 at 4:09 pm

Haha very crunchy and quite dry! I mean it may just be the one I bought but it’s a bit stiff and very coarsely ground and a bit oily if left to sit, nothing at all like peanut butter, no were near as smooth. Even crunchy peanut butter has nothing on my almond butter – still delicious though!

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts January 31, 2013 at 11:19 am

I love Asian style dressings, and this one with the almond butter sounds incredible!

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic January 31, 2013 at 11:21 am

I want to make this almond butter dressing for lunch today but the only jar of almond butter I have at home is… chocolate flavored hehehe. Next time, then :)

Emily January 31, 2013 at 1:29 pm

YUM!! Thanks, Andie! I’ve been looking for some good salad dressings, but I’m not a fan of ranch which has hindered my search tremendously. I am going to try this out very soon!

Emily January 31, 2013 at 1:30 pm

Ps- whats the update on the book? Is it just the waiting game now? Also- are you still working from home? Just wondering what is going on in your life. :)

Sarah January 31, 2013 at 5:00 pm

Andie- don’t lie! We all know that is a salad mix. You didn’t just buy the carrots! :)

admin January 31, 2013 at 7:43 pm

Ha, I really wouldn’t have any problem with owning that if it were true :) But I did make the rest of the salad–which, admittedly, was the easiest thing in the world to do, so I’m not even sure I should be proud. I simply chopped a romaine heart and then very finely chopped a portion from a head of red cabbage.

Cinnamon Vogue January 31, 2013 at 6:42 pm

Oh yeah this salad I like. Don’t halt the salads. The last one I didn’t like, but this I like very much. Yum Yum!! This is really original. I know this almond butter would work very well even without eating it. Peanut butter is so yesterday. Almond is the way to go. Much classier. I am however a bit puzzled with the holes on this dish. Is this some kind funky Italian salad bowl Andie or am I being a total village idiot?

Wendy February 1, 2013 at 8:22 am

Haha, I was just going to ask Andie where she got those cool looking bowls.

admin February 2, 2013 at 10:30 am

Haha, the bowls were a gift from my aunt. I’m not sure where she got them–maybe Home Goods? Each is roughly the size of a football and the holes on the sides don’t make much sense for a salad bowl, you’re right. However, I’ve used these bowls for serving dinner, and I did find the finger holes were helpful in being able to pick up the dish and transport it easily.

Sarah (The Simple Dietitian) February 1, 2013 at 7:42 am

PLEASE don’t stop the salad posts. I heart salads and although I could literally eat the same concoction every day, I realize how much I love trying something new when I see something like this. The more salad posts, the better! :D

Lisa February 2, 2013 at 10:23 am

They look like the Rachel Ray collection- white are now on sale at the Food Network store…:-)

Slimming Style Secrets February 1, 2013 at 3:53 pm

I have such an addiction to almond butter! Thanks for a great new way to incorporate one of my favorite ingredients :-)

Sarah @ Sweet & Savory Life February 1, 2013 at 4:29 pm

This sounds delicious and SO easy! I love recipes that I can memorize :)

-Sarah

Robyn February 1, 2013 at 5:03 pm

I am so excited to try this recipe. I just recently was introduced to almond butter and am obsessed with it.

Robyn xo

Ari @ Ari's Menu February 1, 2013 at 10:42 pm

This makes me want to eat all salad all the time. As long as it is covered in this deliciousness. Your recipes have been looking so great lately!

J February 1, 2013 at 10:59 pm

A lot of your recipes I want to try have soy sauce, I can’t have soy sauce or even tamari, can you suggest a substitute? Thanks so much. Everything sounds so yummy

admin February 1, 2013 at 11:46 pm

Hi J,

Ooo, that’s a tough question. I googled it and found some good options on this post (read the comments, too!): http://www.thekitchn.com/-good-questions-338-161769

Hope this helps! Thanks for your kind words :)

Aimee February 2, 2013 at 7:42 pm

I use Coconut Aminos to instead of soy sauce!

J February 2, 2013 at 10:55 pm

Does it change the flavor of the dishes you make?

Kelly February 7, 2013 at 11:03 pm

Wow, so simple! I’d love to make this with some fresh crisp snow peas…

Christina February 9, 2013 at 11:02 pm

Love this recipe and can’t wait to try it!!

Sarah February 13, 2013 at 8:44 pm

When I opened this page, at the top tab all it said was “Asian Almond Butt” and for some reason, it sent me in a fit of giggles for a good bit!

Wendy February 26, 2013 at 1:45 pm

This was insanely good! Just got around to trying it and it was amazing! Thanks Andie for another winner :)

Jennifer April 24, 2013 at 7:47 am

Good morning

I just wanted to say I enjoy your salad dressing.

Have a healthy day