Pasta e Fagioli

by Andie Mitchell on February 3, 2013

pasta fagioli-19

Well, now it’s official.

I am the least cool person in America.

pasta fagioli-02

During the Super Bowl, I made and ate

soup.

pasta fagioli-03

I know.

I’d write me off too. It wasn’t even chili.

But wait!

pasta fagioli-06

In my defense, there weren’t many other options. No party invitations; no tantalizing fried food spreads; no triple-layer cheese dips; no Pinterest cookie-dough-meets-cheesecake-meets-brownie creations. I would have welcomed any and all of those with an open mind and mouth. But no.

All I had was a well-stocked pantry and an aversion to supermarket showdowns. So I made do.

pasta fagioli-13

This pasta e fagioli (Italian pasta and bean soup) is a pure and simple blend of ingredients that I always have on hand, and

it

is

stellar.

It’s rich, comforting, and hearty. The base is an oregano- and bay-seasoned tomato broth, and it’s packed with kidney beans, Ditalini pasta, sautéed onions, carrots, celery, and garlic.

Let’s put it this way: It’s so delicious that I’m now completely in acceptance of my being incredibly uncool. And that says quite a bit about a soup. And even more about me.

pasta fagioli-08

Pasta e Fagioli

makes 4 extra generous  servings

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 large yellow onion, chopped

2 large carrots, chopped

2 large stalks celery, chopped

4 garlic cloves, minced

2 teaspoons dried oregano

1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes

1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes (or ground, peeled tomatoes)

4 cups low-sodium chicken broth

2 (15-ounce) cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained

2 bay leaves

1 cup small shaped pasta such as shells, ditalini, or elbows

½ teaspoon salt

½ teaspoon black pepper

2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

1 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Heat olive oil in a large pot set over medium. Add onion, carrots, and celery, and cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes, until just beginning to soften.

Add garlic, oregano, and red pepper flakes, and stir constantly for 30 seconds, until fragrant.  Add tomatoes, chicken broth, kidney beans, and bay leaves. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 20 minutes. Add pasta in the last 10 minutes of cooking. Add salt and pepper and stir. Discard bay leaves, stir in parsley and serve, sprinkling each serving bowl with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.

Nutrition Information for 1 Serving (1/4th of Entire Recipe): Calories 450, Total Fat 9.2 g, Total Carbohydrate 73.4 g, Dietary Fiber 18.1 g, Sugars 13.4 g, Protein 23.7 g

Cinnamon Vogue February 3, 2013 at 11:46 pm

You are the coolest cat I know Andie. Well maybe you watched while you cooked. The game was so tight I lost my appetite. I think this is a pretty good job. You only made one slip. You didn’t use Hunt’s Tomato, which we all know is vine ripened and taste much better.

But this soup is really great. Like you said hearty. The ingredients come together pretty good. I know it will taste better knowing it was made by a real interesting gal with a story behind it. We should call it the Lonely Super Bowl soup with heart. :-)

Nanners February 4, 2013 at 1:08 am

Since you’re up…

I am beyond amazed at your blog. I’ve been browsing through it for the last couple of hours! I am just in awe of how well you relate to your audience. I feel that if I knew you we’d be great friends haha.

I have been battling with myself these last few weeks because I know I want to lose these extra 50lbs but I didn’t want to start out of vanity. Reading this has inspired me in a holistic new way. I can’t explain it.

But what really did it for me tonight is seeing your unretouched pictures. Stretch marks and all. That means I can do take pics of a my smaller self w/ stretch marks because ain’t no one saying jack! I surely didn’t judged, I smiled!

I’m so grateful for what you do. I really am.

Cadi February 4, 2013 at 1:11 am

I spent the super bowl at home in my pajamas – no party, no pals, no anything fun except the shredded beef I made with in the sauce for your slow cooker chipotle chicken. So good!! And this soup sounds perfect to make and pack for my lunches this week. Thanks for both of these recipes! Everything I’ve made from your blog has been A-mazing.

Morgan February 4, 2013 at 3:38 am

I spent the Super Bowl doing laundry, cleaning,, homework, and making egg burritos. I am the lamest college student. Love this though, been needing a new soup.

Diane @ Vintage Zest February 4, 2013 at 7:38 am

Well if you’re the least cool person (which I don’t believe), I’m the most frustrated. I spent the whole time on the phone with an airline. Their mistake and my frustration!!! Ugh!!!

On the bright side, you have an awesome soup and I am up pre-5 am for a flight! Woo!

Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) February 4, 2013 at 9:47 am

I spent the super bowl catching up on Grey’s Anatomy – hah! I would gladly eat this soup while watching though =)

Routhie February 4, 2013 at 10:38 am

Had I remembered it was superbowl Sunday, I would not have saved my shopping for that day, much less drag my family along for the ride. We also had soup for dinner because it was freezing out and it felt right. We had beer, which kept my husband happy, and ate in front of the tv, which made my girls think I was cool. All I need. :)

Shelby February 4, 2013 at 11:58 am

I opted to shamelessly watched one of my favorite feel-good shows, Reba, instead of watching the Super Bowl. This was also accompanied by enjoying whipped banana oatmeal for dinner followed by a small cup of chocolate gelato. It was perfect in my book! That soup looks delicious, especially with how cold it’s been outside lately! :)

Colima February 4, 2013 at 1:42 pm

Don’t feel bad! I made a veg soup in the crock pot and walked my dog :) no superbowl!

April February 4, 2013 at 1:50 pm

I spent Superbowl eating waaaay too much food that I should have skipped. Upside…I got to play with 7 tiny puppies while I was stuffing my face. This looks like a wonderful way to get me back on track this week. Plus it’s going to rain here and rain means I need soup!

Camille Willemain February 4, 2013 at 1:57 pm

You are so adorable. I ate thai food and forgot it was the superbowl at all. Does that make me a hipster? PS I love Pasta e Fagioli and this looks deeeeliiisssh.

Joyce February 4, 2013 at 2:43 pm

Hey Andie….I made soup instead of watching the Super Bowl also!!!! So….I guess we are both not cool.
I made white chili. Yum!

tracy {pale yellow} February 4, 2013 at 4:55 pm

I only watched the Super Bowl as an excuse to eat copious amounts of guacamole. Do you think the soup could be made with out Parmesan? Is the cheese used for its thickening properties or more for flavor? I’m trying to eat vegan this month and this soup looks delightful!

admin February 4, 2013 at 5:08 pm

Guacamole would have been lovely yesterday :)

Yes, feel free to leave out the cheese. It’s more of a flavor enhancer than anything else.

JanetFCTC February 4, 2013 at 6:21 pm

I think I’d have preferred to be uncool along with you and had that soup. Beyond the fact that it looks amazing, I wouldn’t be suffering from “day after too much food” guilt right now lol

Shawna February 4, 2013 at 7:20 pm

SOUP-er Bowl!!! HA!!

Heather @ SugarDish(Me) February 4, 2013 at 7:35 pm

As long as you didn’t miss Beyonce’s flipping crazy amazing halftime performance it doesn’t matter what you ate! This looks awesome though. Soupy and filling and cozy. I still think you’re cool.

Kate February 4, 2013 at 10:01 pm

Andie, I made this for dinner tonight and YUM. It was delicious and easy–and my 2 1/2 year old loved it too. I’ve made almost all of the dinners you’ve been posting lately and I love them so much! Please keep em coming! I enjoy eating the meals as much as I enjoy reading your posts.

admin February 4, 2013 at 10:19 pm

Thank you, Kate!!

Sarah (The Simple Dietitian) February 5, 2013 at 7:32 am

This sounds delicious!

Robyn February 5, 2013 at 7:42 am

I made this last night and it was VERY spicy. The teaspoon of red pepper flakes was just overwhelming. I’ll definitely only use 1/2 next time, and we like spicy food! Otherwise it was good and just perfect for winter. I also left out the Parmesan and it was fine… I forgot it!

admin February 5, 2013 at 10:18 am

Thank you for the feedback, Robyn! Good to know, and I’ll be editing the recipe to scale back the heat a bit. I appreciate you trying it!

Laurel February 5, 2013 at 7:55 am

You make me feel a little less strange. :) I made mushroom barley lentil soup in my dorm kitchen that day. Just call it the souper bowl and it all makes much more sense.

Stephanie Rose February 5, 2013 at 9:48 am

I made this overnight in my crockpot and added the pasta for the last hour in the morning while getting ready. It turned out so lovely, hearty, and just super yummy! Between this and those buffalo turkey burgers I am going to be hooked!

admin February 5, 2013 at 10:24 am

I’m really, really happy to hear it! Thank you Stephanie! Great idea using the slow cooker

Courtenay February 5, 2013 at 2:49 pm

Hey Andie, soups cool anytime! My youngest daughter (who is waaaaay cool) used to eat soup for breakfast. It was all she wanted. Some of my peers thought it was strange but hey soup is way healthier than the sugared cerals and pop tarts their kids were eating. We had our main meal @ lunch on Sunday so we had “Souper Bowl” soup for our evening meal as we watched the game.

admin February 6, 2013 at 12:15 pm

I love this. Sounds like your daughter is the coolest :)

Lisa February 5, 2013 at 4:59 pm

I actually did the same thing! During the Super Bowl I made chicken noodle soup from scratch. Homemade broth, noodles, everything. It was perfect for a cold and snowy Ohio day.

Bill Armstrong February 6, 2013 at 9:23 am

Yummy. My invitation must have got lost in the mail.

Carol February 6, 2013 at 10:03 am

This looks delicious! Perfect for a Seattle winter dinner!

Mila @ Simple Harmonic Motion February 6, 2013 at 9:25 pm

No, Andie dear, people beat you. There were others besides me in the library, doing non-urgent homework during the Super Bowl.
You, at least, whipped up a little Italy in your kitchen. Brava!

Anna Lynn February 9, 2013 at 5:40 pm

I’m right along with you in the “not cool” club. I made soup too! A strange, last minute, brain creation of sweet potatoes, cabbage, onions, and quinoa in veggie broth. It ended up being cheap, tasting great, and lasting all week. College girl’s dream! Your soup looks wonderful! Definitely trying it soon!

tortedinuvole February 10, 2013 at 2:54 pm

Just found your website!!!beautiful pictures, and good recipes!

Natasha February 13, 2013 at 4:56 am

Made this yesterday and it was yummy!

Although all the liquid got soaked up in mine so it was more of a stew but it tasted lovely and if I want soup, I can just add some more stock into and et it simmer a while. A win win!

Thanks for the recipe :-)

Rocio February 13, 2013 at 10:31 am

I would have never thought of this combination! I am definitely trying it out. :)

Andi February 15, 2013 at 4:02 pm

I made this soup last night for my family and we all agree…it IS stellar! The portion size is huge and it was warm, comforting, delicious. There is one serving leftover and everyone is fighting over who gets it!

Margot February 26, 2013 at 1:23 pm

I am in the process of making this for our League of Women Voters annual “soup” meeting! I am taking a vegetarian soup, so substituted low sodium vegetable stock for the chicken broth. Makes it a lovely color!

I also love spicy foods–but agree that the amount of red pepper is too much is too much. Even cut in half, which I did, it was a little hot for some but I had already added it. It was also a little bitter, so as I do with chili I added a little sugar.

To counter the heat I added some white wine I had on hand, some additional broth and a little water. I am not a big fan of oregano, so I only added 1 t. and then added a 1 t. of basil. I think everyone tends to “tweak” recipes to his or her own tastes. I can’t wait to add the pasta and fresh parsley. I am taking fresh ground Parmesan cheese so each can top the soup with it–or not–to her liking.

Love your site and recipes! Thank you.

Kristin March 2, 2013 at 3:21 pm

I loooove pasta fagioli soup but have never tried making it … I think that will have to change!

Tracy V March 11, 2013 at 3:56 pm

I love Pasta e Fagioli and have tried this recipe – so delicious. I actually have added a bell pepper and half a bag of spinach to the recipe! My husband and I can’t get enough. I also took it up to work because I am leading a health initiative and people went nuts over it.

I love your site. I think you have great recipes and I love reading about your journey. Your blog on being a night eater really hit home with me. Thank you so much for sharing!

jenQ April 6, 2013 at 7:02 am

I made this the other night and loved it and so did my husband! Thats a bonus for me :) Thanks Andie. You truly inspire me and you’ve made it possible for me to create meals that are healthy and flavorful. Thank you!

Theresa September 7, 2013 at 8:11 pm