Quick Red Beans and Rice with Andouille Sausage

by Andie Mitchell on February 12, 2013

red beans and rice

The last time I supped on red beans and rice, I was on Bourbon Street in New Orleans. As I recall, it was just after slurping down two hurricanes, inhaling a plate of beignets at Cafe Du Monde, and finding the oily crumbs from a long ago eaten fried shrimp po’ boy in my hair.

Grace and class.

Always.

andouille sausage

This time was much less memorable and a world less authentic, but still delicious.

andouille sausage

And I credit nearly all of the flavor to the Andouille sausage.

andouille sausage

Also, the Creole seasoning. Though not the most natural of products, a little goes a long way in adding tremendous dimension of flavor.  If you buy it for this recipe, you can be sure you’ll want to use it again in other dishes since it’s fairly versatile. If you’re not interested in picking up the pre-made kind, here is a recipe to make your own.

red beans and rice

The finished all-in-one meal was on my table in an hour’s time. It was hearty, rich, and satisfying with lots of the smokiness and spiciness common to Creole cuisine. I finished the dish with fresh thyme and parsley, but fresh scallions would have been lovely, too.

red beans and rice

1 cup chopped yellow onion

1 cup chopped green bell pepper

3 cloves garlic, minced

1 (15-ounce) can red beans, rinsed and drained

1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes, in their own juices

½ teaspoon salt

½ teaspoon ground black pepper

¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper

2 teaspoons Cajun or Creole seasoning (strongly recommended: Tony Chachere’s or Zatarain’s)

1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley

1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme leaves

Bring chicken broth and bay leaf to a boil in a small pot. Add the rice, cover, and reduce heat to low. Simmer for about 20-25 minutes if using white rice or about 40 minutes if using brown rice, until the broth has been absorbed into the grains. Turn off the heat and fluff the rice with a fork. Return the lid to cover and set aside.

Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the sliced sausage rounds and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3-4 minutes, until browned on both sides. Use a slotted spoon to remove the sausage to a plate; cover to keep warm. To the skillet with the rendered sausage fat, add the onion and green pepper and cook, stirring frequently, for about 3 minutes, until tender. Add garlic and stir constantly for 30 seconds, until fragrant. Stir in red beans, diced tomatoes and their juices, salt, black pepper, cayenne, and Creole seasoning. Add the rice, parsley, and thyme. Cook for about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, to allow flavors to blend. Return the sausage to the pan and stir to combine. Serve immediately.

Nutrition Information for 1 Serving (1/4th of Entire Recipe): Calories 500, Total Fat 21.4 g, Total Carbohydrate 53.5 g, Dietary Fiber 9.7 g, Sugars 1.9 g, Protein 21.5 g

Barbie February 13, 2013 at 1:38 am

We love Red Beans & Rice. Thanks for posting!

capsicum extract for weight loss February 13, 2013 at 3:36 am

i realy like it red beans and rice

Diane @ Vintage Zest February 13, 2013 at 6:49 am

It had to happen sooner or later, but these are two recipes in a row that I can’t have! No pork for this girl.

Unless, does anybody know of any good turkey or vegetarian andouille sausage? I always assumed there was no good substitute for the real thing, but perhaps someone out there would know?

Nelda February 13, 2013 at 8:16 am

Diane, I am originally from the New Orleans area where Monday was RB Day when the beans cooked all day with the ham bone until beans got mushy. RB&Rice can be cooked several ways. Many don’t add tomatoes. For meat options, try cooked ground beef, or beef or chicken smoked sausage. Note: I buy packaged odd pieces of spiral smoked ham that is a bargain. My sister-in-law in New Orleans swears by boiled white rice, which is too gummy for me. Good luck!

JR January 26, 2014 at 9:59 pm

HI!

Really glad I found this recipe. I bought some of this Cajun sausage at a specialty butcher shop on a whim, but I don’t really cook (that well). Thought I could handle red beans and rice though.

One problem: My wife is allergic to tomatoes. I like the idea that no tomatoes are necessary, but is there a substitute that could take the place of tomatoes?

April April 17, 2014 at 12:56 am

Try using red pepper, I’ve never use mators and I live here in New Orleans and none of my neighbors or friends use mators so don’t worry about that and try pickled pig tails or tips forthe meat ssometimes I use neckbones or ham hocks the same as with brown beans

Hootie February 13, 2013 at 9:15 pm

Sandra Lee’s Money Saving Meals show had a red beans and rice that used a very similar recipe but with some leftover creole flavored catfish that was cooked in a pan. I have made it several times…easy on the cayenne if you use her recipe.

I can relate to the meat thing. I avoid chicken due to my blood type guidelines and chicken is like the main go to for everyone! I will compromise now and then (quarterly?) :) mostly only if buffalo sauce, shallots, or a special sauce is involved :)

Rachl June 23, 2013 at 12:29 am

It’s not Andouille, but there are chicken and beef sausages out there.

Veg Mama August 11, 2013 at 5:05 pm

Tofurky has a vegan Andouille Sausage.

victoria March 4, 2014 at 10:01 pm

Try trader joes they have chicken andouille sausage. No pork for this girl either :)

Maureen (breakingfreeandfindingme.wordpress.com) February 13, 2013 at 7:47 am

I just love the way you write, Andie! You really paint a picture with your words. Again, can’t wait for the book! But, I guess in the meantime I have your delicious recipes to hold me over ;)

Chelsea February 14, 2013 at 4:54 pm

I long andouille sausage!! Can’t wait to make this!!

Lisa @ Elle Sees February 14, 2013 at 5:14 pm

I’m always looking for meals that I can make in quantity on Sunday and brown bag for lunch the rest of the week. This looks great, very comfort food-y.

Fiona Jesse Giffords February 15, 2013 at 12:28 am

The dish looks marvelous. I can’t wait to make this, as it is yummy and less time consuming. Sometimes we crave for good foods thinking most of the times about diet plans. So taking good meal once in a week is just okay can go easily with diets.

Sarah (The Simple Dietitian) February 15, 2013 at 3:45 pm

This looks mouth-wateringly delicious!!

tracy {pale yellow} February 15, 2013 at 6:30 pm

Rice and beans are my favorite weeknight meal, the andouille sausage is a delightful addition!

Kathy F February 17, 2013 at 2:38 am

I made this last night for my family. We used to visit NOLA very often and my husband says this recipe is as good as any he has had there. Thanks so much for posting it!!

Bethany February 22, 2013 at 11:02 am

I made this last night and it was delicious, as usual! Love your recipes!

Sharon Deutsch February 22, 2013 at 8:35 pm

This was absolutely delicious! I made it for DH and I, and we both agreed that this one was a “Keeper.” Thanks for this posting!

Sharon Deutsch February 23, 2013 at 7:46 pm

Eating leftovers of this recipe tonight. Added a salad, and it’s just as good the second time around as the first! Thanks, Andie!!

JanetFCTC February 24, 2013 at 3:14 pm

I swear, I was practically drooling on my keyboard over this post. I adore red beans and rice and the picture of the cooking andouille sausage is killing me here.

Kylie @ immaeatthat March 18, 2013 at 12:51 pm

Making this tonight!!

Leigh Ann March 21, 2013 at 7:27 pm

I’ve made the all-day authentic red beans and rice, but I think I may prefer this one. Quick and easy and so much flavor! Definitely a keeper.

teachermrw June 7, 2013 at 7:07 pm

Hi, Andie. I prepared this dish last weekend. It was very tasty. I even shared with my Dear Mom, Dear Dad, and Dear Brother. I had that much.

I do, however, have a comment: I think the rice proportions are off. You state that the recipe makes four servings. However, it calls for 1.5 cups dry brown rice. If one follows the standard rule of thumb for measuring dry quantities of rice, 1.5 cups of dry rice produces six .5 cup servings of cooked rice. Which means that for four cooked servings of rice, one would only need to prepare one cup of dry rice, and not 1.5 cups of dry rice.

Which means I could/should have used the other andouille sausage (I bought Johnsonville Andouille, which comes as two big, long sausages to a package) as one was not enough in comparison to the rice produced per the stated recipe.

Jess June 8, 2013 at 9:19 pm

Hey Andie!
Great recipe, I love rice ‘n beans and would gladly eat it almost every night. I’m actually searching for a quinoa and beans recipe that keeps that creole-melts-in-your-mouth taste. Is a simple substitution of quinoa for rice all I need or is that too…umm…simple?

Andie Mitchell June 9, 2013 at 12:50 am

Hey Jess! Thank you and yes, that should be a good substitution — just follow all directions as listed, using quinoa!

yolanda July 30, 2013 at 2:47 pm

don’t forget to make cornbread with red beans and rice!

Erica September 9, 2013 at 9:59 am

I’m from New Orleans and I’ve never recalled adding tomatoes in red beans. We like to cook them all day until there mushy also. Since pretty easy n fast I’ll try it

Cynthia Stuckey September 17, 2013 at 8:26 am

Thank you for this recipe! We have had it several times already and it’s even better than it sounds and looks. I loved it so much I shared the link to it on my (small) blog. Thanks for sharing with us!

Jo January 13, 2014 at 12:14 pm

Where can you buy canned “red” beans or do you use canned kiidney beans? Thank you!

Andie Mitchell January 17, 2014 at 3:07 pm

Hi Jo,

Yes, canned kidney beans are what I mean. Hope you like the recipe if you try it!

Tanya January 27, 2014 at 11:28 pm

I just made this tonight and it was a hit with my family – I have 2 teenagers and a pre-teen! I’ve never made it before and everyone said it needs to be one of our new regular meals. I made sweet cornbread to go along with it. Thanks for a great recipe!

Michelle February 12, 2014 at 10:43 am

I love this meal so much! I’ve made it at least 5 times now. It’s such good comfort food with great spice. I also love that I always have plenty of leftovers to take to work for lunch.

rico567 March 1, 2014 at 6:30 am

Recipe is made inedibly spicy for many people using the recommended 2 tsp. of Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning (even leaving out the cayenne). Cutting to 1 tsp. would be plenty.

Anzura April 9, 2014 at 10:34 pm

Very Yummy!! This is going in the rotation for sure! The spice was just right. I used a creole seasoning. My youngest son had to add some cholula because it wasn’t hot enough for him. I guess if you like bland food, it might be too spicy for you. I used 2 Johnsonville sausage links and thought the rice ratio was just fine. I like how mushy the rice got. Yumm!

zilla April 18, 2014 at 8:47 am

I have raw andouille sausage. Any ideas on how to cook it before starting this recipe or just cook the raw sausage in the olive oil.