So…I turned my salad into a burger.
I burger-ed it.
I Big Mac-ed it.
Hot salads have a way of satisfying that their cold counterparts lack. They’re weighted. Hefty. They stick to your ribs. And now, apparently, they taste like a loaded cheeseburger—minus the bun.
The dressing is a healthier adaptation of the secret sauce used on McDonald’s famous Big Mac. It’s creamy and sweet with a slightly pickled flavor—similar to Russian dressing. It balances the savory, garlicky flavor of the sautéed beef and onion.
Make this salad if you—like me—love nothing more than cheeseburgers and 20 minute meals.
- 2 tablespoons full-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons full-fat Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish
- 1 tablespoon minced white onion
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- dash hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound lean ground beef sirloin
- 1 large head romaine lettuce, chopped
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- dill pickle slices (optional)
- In a small bowl, whisk the mayonnaise, sour cream, ketchup, water, vinegar, relish, onion, sugar, hot sauce, and a pinch of salt. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, until just beginning to soften, about 2 minutes. Add the ground beef and cook for about 6-7 minutes, stirring occasionally and using the spatula to crumble the meat. Add the garlic and stir constantly for 30 seconds, until fragrant. The meat should no longer be pink; if it is, continue to cook until browned. Remove pan from heat and set aside while you assemble the salads.
- Divide the romaine, tomatoes, and cheese evenly among four large bowls or plates. Divide the beef mixture evenly among the salads. Drizzle each serving with 2 heaping tablespoons dressing. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Information: Calories 445, Fat 25g, Carb 13g, Fiber 4g, Sugars 1g, Protein 43g