Toasted Coconut and Pineapple Granola

by Andie Mitchell on February 21, 2013

toasted coconut and pineapple granola

This is for my granola-loving friends.

For my early rising “I-get-out-of-bed-because-breakfast-exists”  friends.

toasted coconut and pineapple granola

For my friends who need to pretend the tropics aren’t so far away.

toasted coconut and pineapple granola

Basically, it’s for me.

But it does sound kinder when I’m not making a vat of granola all for my own delicious pleasure, doesn’t it?

toasted coconut and pineapple granola

This granola is the perfect crisp topper for a bowl of Greek yogurt, or even simply paired with milk. Coconutty and only lightly sweetened with maple syrup, it’s loaded with bits of dried pineapple and toasted almonds.

Your morning will be so darn lovable.

Toasted Coconut and Pineapple Granola

makes about 6 cups; 12 half-cup servings

3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats

1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut

1 cup sliced almonds

¼ cup vegetable oil

1/3 cup maple syrup

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 cup chopped dried pineapple

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Combine oats, coconut, and almonds in a large bowl.

Heat oil, maple syrup, and vanilla in a small saucepan over medium heat, whisking frequently, until warmed, about 2-3 minutes.  Pour over the oats, coconut, and almonds. Stir until the oat mixture is thoroughly coated.

Spread the mixture into an even, single layer on a large, rimmed baking sheet. Bake, stirring mixture every 5 minutes, for about 20 minutes, until the granola is crisp and light golden brown. Stir in pineapple and set sheet on a wire rack to cool completely.

Store in a covered, airtight container, at room temperature, for up to 1 week. Serve with milk or yogurt.

Nutrition Information for ½ cup Granola: Calories 250, Total Fat 13.1 g, Total Carbohydrate 33.3 g, Dietary Fiber 3.4 g, Sugars 13.7 g, Protein 4.9 g

Kirthan February 22, 2013 at 2:18 am

This looks great. I just wonder how many calories it would be without the pineapple as I’m not a fan of dried fruit.

Maria February 25, 2013 at 3:30 am

add them up based on the ingredients you use? it varies by which brands you choose anyway.

Diane @ Vintage Zest February 22, 2013 at 2:41 am

I am so making this on Saturday for the rest of the week! And the best part is that I actually have all of the ingredients in my pantry right now. I love a recipe where I don’t have to run to the store and gather a million ingredients!

Bek @ Crave February 22, 2013 at 3:07 am

I love dried pineapple!! This looks beautiful

Maureen @ Breaking Free & Finding Me February 22, 2013 at 8:28 am

YUM! Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day and i love granola! I’m never tried making it on my own before, but I may just have to now!

Jola February 22, 2013 at 8:54 am

I just put the ingredients on my shopping list. :D It sounds incredibly delicious!

Jess February 22, 2013 at 11:21 am

Sounds great- I love anything with coconut.

somesnapshots.wordpress.com/

Bakeaholic February 22, 2013 at 11:48 am

Just discovered your blog. Great looking recipes! Congrats on the weight loss and keeping it off. I’ve never cooked with dried pineapple. I was thinking about making pineapple nutmeg cookies. Dried pineapple would be good in them!

Emily @ Main-Eats February 22, 2013 at 8:19 pm

Oh my gosh-It’s like you made this recipe with me in mind! You have all of my favorite things in that granola-I can’t wait to try it!!!

Emily @SinfulNutrition February 23, 2013 at 5:26 pm

Hi Andie! Just discovered your blog through a pinterest post. You are such an inspiration! I’m all about living and loving life and enjoying all it has to offer. Thank you for sharing your journey!!

Cinnamom Vogue February 24, 2013 at 1:40 am

Andie could you come up with some “cholesterol reducing” as opposed to “ cholesterol friendly ” recipes? Very hard to find a good selection of recipes that can actually help reduce cholesterol. I am talking about a proper hot meal that has cholesterol reducing properties. Would be lovely if you could. Something creative, interesting and really tasty. I know you are the master of that.

Joanne Smith February 24, 2013 at 12:22 pm

I have never been a fan of dried fruits but your recipes and the way they look make it almost impossible for me not to try it out. I will be trying this and will keep you posted on how it goes. Well done on the weight loss.

Fiona Jesse Giffords February 25, 2013 at 12:11 am

It looks so delicious and less time consuming in making. It will be a treat for the breakfast, a healthy and low calorie breakfast.

Rocio February 27, 2013 at 10:57 am

hhmm..this looks like a really good idea…it looks super delicious! I will definitely try this. You’re the best Andie!

Deon April 9, 2013 at 8:30 pm

Is there a substitute to the dried pineapples you recommend?

Andie April 9, 2013 at 8:42 pm

Hey Deon,

I’d recommend either dried cherries or chopped dried apricots!

Bethany August 14, 2013 at 6:23 pm

We made this last week and it was a hit with the whole family. :)

Andie Mitchell August 15, 2013 at 1:24 pm

So happy to hear it, Bethany! Thank you!!

Kaitlyn @ Live Run Coffee March 2, 2014 at 7:32 pm

This looks delicious! Can’t wait to try, thanks for sharing :)