Toasted Coconut and Pineapple Granola

toasted coconut and pineapple granola

This is for my granola-loving friends.

For my early rising “I-get-out-of-bed-because-breakfast-exists”  friends.

toasted coconut and pineapple granola

For my friends who need to pretend the tropics aren’t so far away.

toasted coconut and pineapple granola

Basically, it’s for me.

But it does sound kinder when I’m not making a vat of granola all for my own delicious pleasure, doesn’t it?

toasted coconut and pineapple granola

This granola is the perfect crisp topper for a bowl of Greek yogurt, or even simply paired with milk. Coconutty and only lightly sweetened with maple syrup, it’s loaded with bits of dried pineapple and toasted almonds.

Your morning will be so darn lovable.

Toasted Coconut and Pineapple Granola

makes about 6 cups; 12 half-cup servings

3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats

1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut

1 cup sliced almonds

¼ cup vegetable oil

1/3 cup maple syrup

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 cup chopped dried pineapple

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Combine oats, coconut, and almonds in a large bowl.

Heat oil, maple syrup, and vanilla in a small saucepan over medium heat, whisking frequently, until warmed, about 2-3 minutes.  Pour over the oats, coconut, and almonds. Stir until the oat mixture is thoroughly coated.

Spread the mixture into an even, single layer on a large, rimmed baking sheet. Bake, stirring mixture every 5 minutes, for about 20 minutes, until the granola is crisp and light golden brown. Stir in pineapple and set sheet on a wire rack to cool completely.

Store in a covered, airtight container, at room temperature, for up to 1 week. Serve with milk or yogurt.

Nutrition Information for ½ cup Granola: Calories 250, Total Fat 13.1 g, Total Carbohydrate 33.3 g, Dietary Fiber 3.4 g, Sugars 13.7 g, Protein 4.9 g

Comments

• Susan Johann says

Dried fruit isn’t necessary; it’s just good. Some people might prefer a little more maple syrup or other sweetener if leaving the dried fruit out. Or just top with fresh fruit when you’re ready to eat it.

1. says

I am so making this on Saturday for the rest of the week! And the best part is that I actually have all of the ingredients in my pantry right now. I love a recipe where I don’t have to run to the store and gather a million ingredients!

2. says

Just discovered your blog. Great looking recipes! Congrats on the weight loss and keeping it off. I’ve never cooked with dried pineapple. I was thinking about making pineapple nutmeg cookies. Dried pineapple would be good in them!

3. says

Andie could you come up with some “cholesterol reducing” as opposed to “ cholesterol friendly ” recipes? Very hard to find a good selection of recipes that can actually help reduce cholesterol. I am talking about a proper hot meal that has cholesterol reducing properties. Would be lovely if you could. Something creative, interesting and really tasty. I know you are the master of that.

4. says

I have never been a fan of dried fruits but your recipes and the way they look make it almost impossible for me not to try it out. I will be trying this and will keep you posted on how it goes. Well done on the weight loss.

5. Fiona Jesse Giffords says

It looks so delicious and less time consuming in making. It will be a treat for the breakfast, a healthy and low calorie breakfast.

6. Rocio says

hhmm..this looks like a really good idea…it looks super delicious! I will definitely try this. You’re the best Andie!

7. Anny says

This looks delish!!! Can’t wait to make it and have it w/my plain old greek yogurt! Was wondering if i could use coconut oil instead of the vegetable oil… what do you think?

8. Susan Johann says

I love this granola. Today I’m going to make a batch and a half, and see how that works out in my cookie sheet. It goes so fast. As far as substituting other dried fruit, I would say any dried fruit could be substituted, and I made it once with half pineapple, half Craisins, but the pineapple is especially good. I chop it small enough to get at least one chunk in every bite. It’s sweet and tart and sunny and happy yellow.

The dried fruit doesn’t go in until the granola is already done, so just use any dried fruit of your choice – raisins, Craisins, figs, apricots, etc., – or leave it out and top it with fresh fruit when you’re ready to eat it. Really really good!

Trackbacks