Coconut Curry Chicken

by Andie Mitchell on March 6, 2013

coconut curry chicken

Coconut milk and curry powder together make for a tremendously satisfying dish.

But then,

add ginger, jalapeno, fresh cilantro, and a mass of minced garlic, and

onions garlic jalapeno

Heavens, yes.

coconut curry chicken

coconut curry chicken

This lively Indian meal is two things: quick and wildly flavorful. Your house will smell divine–less like curry and more like sauteed ginger and garlic. When I made it, I wondered why I hadn’t thought to invite a bunch of guests over, because it’s one of those meals whose flavors taste a lot more complex and sophisticated than they really are.

Serve it with peas, long-grain white rice, and lots of fresh cilantro for a full, balanced dinner.

And please, invite me over.

coconut curry chicken

Coconut Curry Chicken

Serves 4

1  1/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs

½ teaspoon salt

½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

1 medium onion, thinly sliced

3 garlic cloves, minced

1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger

2 jalapeño peppers, cored, seeded, and finely chopped

1 tablespoon curry powder

½ teaspoon turmeric

1 cup chicken broth

1 cup light coconut milk

¼ cup packed cilantro leaves, roughly chopped

Sprinkle the chicken with the salt and pepper. In a large frying pan set over medium-high heat, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Add the chicken thighs and cook, undisturbed, until crisp and browned, about 4 minutes. Flip the chicken and cook for 3 more minutes.  Transfer the chicken to a plate and return the pan to the heat. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil. Add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, until tender but still crisp, about 3 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium and add the garlic, ginger, and jalapeño, and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the curry powder and turmeric and cook, stirring constantly, for 30 seconds. Stir in the chicken broth and scrape up any browned bits in the pan. Return the chicken to the pan and bring the broth to a boil. Reduce the heat and let the broth simmer for 5 minutes. Add the coconut milk and simmer for 2 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and let it stand for 5 minutes before serving. Garnish with fresh cilantro.

Nutrition Information for 1 Serving (1/4th of Entire Recipe): Calories 320, Total Fat 17.3 g, Total Carbohydrate 2.4 g, Dietary Fiber 0.5 g, Sugars 1 g, Protein 33.9 g

Jess March 6, 2013 at 11:41 pm

Another winner…oh my! Yum!

I would love for you to join my Link Up!

Catherine March 7, 2013 at 5:53 am

Hi Andie,

I have never like spiced Indian food, but this chicken meal look so good. I have to try this! Yummy :)

Hannah J March 7, 2013 at 6:42 am

Hi Andie, your RSS feed doesn’t seem to be updating on Google Reader – the last entry it’s showing is from Feb 18th. I’ve tried resubscribing which didn’t help. Sorry if you’re already aware of the issue, just thought I’d give you a heads up ;-)

Also this recipe looks DELICIOUS, I’m veggie so I’m going to give it a try with veg and tofu, mmmm :)

Andie March 7, 2013 at 10:18 am

Hey Hannah!

Sorry, I’ll look into it! Thanks for the heads up :)

Jennelle March 7, 2013 at 7:31 am

Can you substitute the thighs with boneless skinless breasts?

Andie March 7, 2013 at 10:20 am

Hey Jennelle,

Yes, you can. I use thighs because they’re a bit more tender and more flavorful, but breasts would work. Be sure to adjust the cooking time since thighs tend to be thinner.

Diane @ Vintage Zest March 7, 2013 at 7:36 am

This looks absolutely amazing! I used to make a great coconut curry with chicken breast and vegetables (to address the people above), but stopped making it for some odd reason. Thanks for reminding me!

Jessica March 7, 2013 at 9:12 am

Is this regular, bone in chicken thighs, or boneless? This looks fantastic!

Andie March 7, 2013 at 10:21 am

Thanks Jessica,

It is! I should have made that more clear in the recipe. Editing now :)

Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie March 7, 2013 at 9:28 am

I am obsessed with coconut curry and this looks heavenly!

Lynn March 7, 2013 at 10:32 am

Dumb question – do you happen to know the difference between the different colors of curry? Like, I know I love yellow curry, but I don’t think I’m much of a fan of red. Are they different spices, or is it sort of like green / yellow / red peppers – just a matter of quantity or ripeness, etc.? Can’t wait to try this, but I need to find yellow curry first…

Andie March 7, 2013 at 10:50 am

Hey Lynn!

Not dumb at all. So, curry powder–what I used above–is what’s more traditionally used in Indian cooking, and it’s generally a blend of cumin, cardamom, turmeric (which helps impart a yellow color), cloves, pepper, etc.
Curry paste is more often used in traditional Thai cooking. These are the yellow curry pastes (which have turmeric), red curry pastes, etc. They are moist blends of spices that include various chiles.

Flavor-wise, you could substitute yellow curry paste in this dish (I’m not certain on the exact measurement), but curry powder is what I’d really recommend.

Make sense?

Lynn March 7, 2013 at 10:58 am

Makes perfect sense, thank you! Can’t wait to try this!

Mytsi Acosta March 7, 2013 at 11:29 am

Delicious! Thanks for your sharings!

Jess March 7, 2013 at 1:16 pm

Great photos, love the third one especially. Yummy!

Some Snapshots Blog
Jess

Sherry March 7, 2013 at 2:23 pm

Hi, I just subscribed via email. Love this recipe. Can you hook it up with zip list so I can add it and have ingredients added to shopping list?

Fiona Jesse Giffords March 8, 2013 at 5:07 am

Probably i need to go for something else as it can’t be to my vegan diet meal plans. It has high calorie also.

Mandy J March 9, 2013 at 11:35 am

Fiona! You can still make this. Sub out the chicken for any veg you like (cauliflower would be awesome) and use veg stock. Also look up a recipe for pav bahji, which is like the Indian version of biscuits and gravy!

Sarah (The Simple Dietitian) March 8, 2013 at 7:27 am

Some of my best food experiences have been at restaurants where I ordered something involving the words “curry” and “coconut” all in one sentence. You have no idea how excited I am to make this! :D

Camille Willemain March 8, 2013 at 10:54 am

Yummm bunny! Sounds delicious, might have to try to find a way to make this with fresh Costa Rican coconut milk :)

Jola March 8, 2013 at 12:06 pm

Yummy! This sounds soooo good!

Erica March 8, 2013 at 5:14 pm

I swear, you must be my cooking brain twin ;)

JillNN March 8, 2013 at 7:10 pm

Tried this tonight with veggies instead of chicken. (I only like chicken enough to eat it once a week). It was so good!! Thank you!!!

Mia March 9, 2013 at 5:52 am

hey andie,

i’m missing the “search function”. i often just type in something like “lentils” to see what recipe options come up. but since the redesign it is no longer possible, right?

greets
mia

Andie March 9, 2013 at 9:58 am

Great feedback, Mia. I appreciate it! I’ll look to add it back.

Maureen @ Breaking Free & Finding Me March 9, 2013 at 9:30 am

Hello my dear!
Just thought I’d fill you in on two techincal things. Your blog does not update itself on “bloglovin’” and this morning, (because I subscribe to you via email and bloglovin’ because God forbid I miss a post ;) )it was telling me that the article written on March 8th of 2011 was new for today. Not sure if those are just glitches on my end, but I thought you should be aware!!

Andie March 9, 2013 at 9:58 am

OH good to know! Thanks Maureen! Working on it

Mandy J March 9, 2013 at 11:58 am

Hi Andie. My husband is Indian, and I make a shrimp curry that’s similar to this, but adds tomatoes. It’s one of our favorites.

If you live anywhere close to an Asian/Indian grocery store, make a trip and pick up the following to make this an even better dish: Fresh Curry Leaves, Whole cumin and black mustard seeds, turmeric and corriander powder and garam masala. Drop about 1/2 tsp. each cumin and mustard seeds and curry leaves in with your hot oil just before adding the onions until they’re starting to pop, then add the onions and turn down the heat. Use about 1 tsp. turmeric powder, 1/2 tsp. garam masala and 2 tsp. corriander instead of the curry powder.

Someone else commented about the differences in curries. Essentially, when you’re talking about Indian food, “curry” means sauce or gravy, and every dish has variations. I use the above for most of my curries, but there are lots of different spice blends depending on the main ingredients (add cardamom if you’re using eggs, cinnamon for lamb, etc), and it’s really about what your family likes. I am not a fan of curry powder, and feel that curry leaves are going to change your life if you like Indian food. Curry powder is what the Brits created to mimic the curries they tasted in India, without access to the fresh leaves. You can also get dried curry leaves, but they’re not as good.

Thai curries tend to be more specific recipes for red, yellow, green curries with slight variations on more classic dishes, more what we think of as recipes with minor variations, where Indian families tend to have their favorite spice palates based on region, religion and personal preference. And I’ll get off my soap box now, since this is your blog!

One last note, I like the flavor of serrano chilies better with Indian food than jalapenos, but that’s completely personal preference. They’re about the same spice level.

Lisa March 9, 2013 at 1:45 pm

WOW this is so helpful- for some reason the indian spices have always intimidated me- I never seem to get it just right..thanks Mandy for all the insider info!

Mandy J March 9, 2013 at 3:07 pm

No problem! The flavors are so bold, it can be overwhelming. I recommend this site for some humor (the host is hilariously Indian) and good technique tips… http://www.vahrehvah.com/vareva.php

Andie March 9, 2013 at 5:03 pm

SO SO awesome. Thank you Mandy!! I’ll be on the look out for fresh curry leaves. And yes, serrano chiles are wonderful. I did consider them, but had jalapenos on hand, so…I guess that’s why they won in this case.
Also, I just recently made a chana masala and now I wish I consulted you beforehand for tips!

Mandy J March 9, 2013 at 11:10 pm

Oh, man, I love chana masala. I’ve had to learn about Indian food the hard way, since my husband isn’t exactly a trained chef and his mom, who doesn’t really speak English, is thousands of miles away. But I love sharing what I know!

I encourage everyone I know to go to the Asian market. The staff are usually super helpful, and often the prices are lower than the same ingredients at the grocery store. Ask the clerk for recommendations if you’re feeling adventurous. I recommend trying the frozen idli (steamed rice cakes) and sambhar (spicy vegetable “soup”), which cook in the microwave in under 10 minutes and are a great light lunch: pour the heated sambhar over the idli, think Indian pot pie). Check out the prepackaged seasoning packets for ideas on what kinds of spice combos to try. But I don’t recommend actually using the prepacked stuff; it’s usually a lot more fattening and salty than necessary.

Here’s another site with some good recipes: http://www.tarladalal.com/

Mandy

Lisa March 9, 2013 at 1:43 pm

Hi Andie-
Great dish! I was thinking about your book this morning- any updates to share? I have been reading like a fiend lately- finding some good books out there for my Kindle. It’s snowing like crazy here today so I have stew in the crockpot and a good book to read…love the weekends! Hope all is well with you- I still really enjoy your blog!
Lisa

Andie March 9, 2013 at 5:05 pm

Hey Lisa!

Thank you for all of your support and encouragement, always :) I’m still unsure about the date. I hope to do a post about the publishing timeline within the next two-three weeks.

Sully_04 March 9, 2013 at 8:01 pm

I promise… I LIVE or should I say.. COOk by your recipes! I made this recipe tonight.. Absolutely AMAZING!! I’m a rice and gravy kinda gal so I added more coconut milk and broth to mine with a little arrowroot powder (to thicken) my curry gravy.. BOMB.COM! lol! Thanks again for your inspiration and recipes!

luv what you do March 9, 2013 at 9:58 pm

I just started making curries and I love it. This dinner looks wonderful!

NeighborhoodTrainer March 10, 2013 at 8:09 am

What would you suggest as a substitute if someone is allergic to coconut?

Lisa March 10, 2013 at 10:32 am

I’m going to try this. I think it would also be a good dish to make for gluten free guests!

Rocio March 11, 2013 at 2:32 pm

Wow lots of comments on this one! The 6th of March was my birthday I wish I had this for lunch lol looks so good!

Andie March 11, 2013 at 4:51 pm

Ahh happy belated birthday Rocio!! Wishing you such a great year ahead :)

xo,

Jennifer March 13, 2013 at 8:14 pm

Made this for dinner tonight! It was great! I’m so bummed that I didn’t have cilantro though; that always makes Indian food SO much better; just does something to intensify the flavor. Even without it, though, this was great. I served it with roasted broccoli–the way the florets soaked up the sauce was amazng!

Jerene Cook July 11, 2013 at 6:03 pm

I just discovered your site while searching for something to make with my two favorite things,coconut and curry!I just made this dish and it doesn’t disappoint! I look forward to cooking more with you:)

Jerene Cook July 11, 2013 at 6:12 pm

I added a tsp of orange blossom honey for a hint of sweetness

Jennifer August 6, 2013 at 9:01 am

Turmeric is on the list of ingredients but I don’t see when I’m supposed to add it.

Thanks!

Andie Mitchell August 6, 2013 at 11:57 am

Hi Jennifer!

Sorry, my mistake–I just edited the recipe steps to include it. You should add the turmeric along with the curry powder (see above).

Irene September 28, 2013 at 7:02 pm

Tried your recipe, but with one slight addition…bay leaves.
Makes all the difference!

Envy January 7, 2014 at 9:21 pm

Made this for dinner tonite and I must say…. Delicious!!!! My house is smelling great!!!! I did add in some cinnamon and a little heavy whipping cream… Cant wait to hear results from the Family!!! Thanks Again

Becky C March 25, 2014 at 10:14 pm

Yum! It looks really good! As a Malaysian I’ve always had coconut milk added into my curries and that’s how I love them. Usually though I just use curry pastes to save me the trouble of having to make my own as I have a hectic work schedule and so far using the Dollee curry paste, I have not been disappointed! I always end up with a flavourful dish which takes less than 30 minutes to make!
I may give this recipe a go though. Might you know if I could substitute jalapenos for habanero peppers? I def am one who prefers a slight kick to her curries or are jalapenos spicy enough?

Andie Mitchell April 1, 2014 at 8:49 pm

Hi Becky! Yes, I think you can absolutely sub habanero peppers for the jalapenos! I’m sure that would be great.