The last time I went out for Chinese, I ordered a saucy shrimp dish very similar to the one I stir-fried here. It was gingery and garlicky. Spicy, salty, and sweet. It hit all the flavors I craved at once. Every sticky, glazed bite was fantastic. I sipped from my hot tea cup and read about being born in the year of the ox.
All was good and fine and greasy, but really, I just couldn’t wait to crack open my cookie at the end of the meal.
Once I did, I stared blankly at my fortune. It read,
And I thought aloud,
But then, I went out to eat again. This time, my fortune read,
And I thought aloud,
Working on it.
This ginger shrimp stir-fry will become your weekly staple. It's quick, easy, and always packed with flavor!
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 4 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 ½ pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 jalapeño pepper, cored, seeded, and finely chopped
- In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, sesame oil, and cornstarch.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 2 teaspoons of the canola oil over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp and cook, stirring frequently, until pink and opaque throughout, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Add the remaining 2 teaspoons of the canola oil to the now-empty pan and add the onion, red pepper, green pepper, and mushrooms, and cook, stirring frequently, until tender but still crisp, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic, ginger, and jalapeño and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Add the soy sauce mixture, bring to a boil, and then reduce the heat to medium and simmer until thickened, 1 to 2 minutes. Return the shrimp to the pan and stir to coat in the sauce. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Information: Calories 260, Total Fat 9g, Carb 11g, Fiber 2g, Sugars 2g, Protein 34g