Chicken with Garlic Balsamic Tomatoes

by Andie Mitchell on March 12, 2013

chicken with sauteed grape tomatoes

I set about making this meal and I was all, “I’m going to use five ingredients, max!”  And mind you, I said this to exactly no one.

Still, it was to be a challenge. Some neurotic alone-time kitchenly fun. And a five ingredient limit was all I had to achieve. 1 2 3 4 5. Five.

sauteed grape tomatoes

But no. What happened instead?

Six: Chicken. Grape tomatoes. Olive oil. Garlic. Balsamic Vinegar. Basil.

Oh and—

salt and pepper. Right.

Eight.

chicken with sauteed grape tomatoes

So basically, while the self-imposed challenge was a failure, the dish itself was a success. The more ingredients the better? I tell myself these things.

What we have here are simple pan-seared chicken cutlets topped with sautéed garlic-balsamic tomatoes. The balsamic deglazes the pan and then reduces slightly to form a light syrup. The tomatoes concentrate in flavor, then pop. Together, they blend with the olive oil, garlic, and the pan drippings left from the cooked chicken into a sweet salsa. The whole dish only requires one large frying pan and…well…eight ingredients.

Chicken with Garlic Balsamic Tomatoes

Serves 4

1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast cutlets (or boneless, skinless breasts that have been butterflied and pounded thin)

¾ teaspoon salt

½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

6 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil

3 garlic cloves, minced

1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes

1/3 cup balsamic vinegar

¼ cup packed fresh basil, finely chopped

Season the chicken cutlets evenly on both sides with the salt and pepper.

In a large frying pan set over medium-high heat, add 2 teaspoons of the olive oil. Add half of the chicken cutlets and cook, undisturbed, until a crisp golden crust has formed on one side, about 3 minutes. Flip the cutlets and cook for 3 more minutes. Transfer the cooked cutlets to a plate and cover to keep warm. Add 2 teaspoons of the olive oil to the now-empty pan. Add the remaining chicken cutlets and cook, undisturbed, until a crisp golden crust has formed on one side, about 3 minutes. Flip the cutlets and cook for 3 more minutes. Transfer the cooked cutlets to the plate with the rest of the cutlets and cover to keep warm. Reduce the heat to medium, and add the remaining 2 teaspoons olive oil to the pan. Add the garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes and vinegar and cook, stirring frequently, until the vinegar has thickened slightly and the tomatoes have begun to burst, 7 to 10 minutes. Turn off the heat and let the tomatoes stand while you plate the chicken.

To serve, divide the chicken cutlets among four serving plates, top the chicken with the tomatoes, and sprinkle with fresh basil.

Nutrition Information for 1 Serving (1/4th of Entire Recipe): Calories 240, Total Fat 9.6 g, Total Carbohydrate 12.0 g, Dietary Fiber 0.0 g, Sugars 4.0 g, Protein 24.1 g

Diane @ Vintage Zest March 13, 2013 at 2:36 am

You’re being too hard on yourself! Salt, pepper, and oil don’t count in my book, so I say that you met your challenge. Anyways, this is exactly my kind of recipe. Tomatoes, basil, and balsamic vinegar? They can do no wrong, and together I’m sure they make an amazing sauce! I’m excited to try this for sure. :)

Patti July 8, 2014 at 7:21 pm

I agree, oil to cook with and table seasonings never count! It looks delicious and I can not wait to try it! This sounds like it could be a keeper meal for our family!

Fiona Jesse Giffords March 13, 2013 at 7:50 am

I most of the time faces the same problem. When i try to make the dish with limited ingredients it usually gets increased. But the outcome is always a success with delicious foods.

Maureen @ Breaking Free & Finding Me March 13, 2013 at 8:13 am

mhhmmm yumm! Hey, who cares if you failed the “challenge,” when you succeeded at making such a beautiful recipe :)

Nancy @ Rivertreekitchen March 13, 2013 at 8:25 am

I’m with Diane: salt and pepper never count, and oil’s a gimme too, so you’re home free with the five-ingredient restriction. This is a feast for all the senses.

Sonal March 13, 2013 at 8:28 am

This looks amazing! :)) I enjoy anything with balsamic vinegar !

Lisa March 13, 2013 at 8:29 am

This sounds amazing and I cannot wait to eat it. It’s one of those super easy, amazingly tasty dishes I have no doubt I will cook over and over again. Plus it’s healthy too! Thanks for the inspiration!

Ksenija @ Health Ninja March 13, 2013 at 8:44 am

Add some quinoa, or mashed/baked patato and I am all in. What a beautiful dish and in my opinion 8 ingredients are still pretty great for such a fancy looking dish!

Routhie March 13, 2013 at 9:19 am

I agree that salt, pepper, and olive oil don’t count. A lot of my 5 ingredient recipes begin by stating that they are pantry staples and really, garlic is too. So you succeeded!

Lilly March 13, 2013 at 10:30 am

This looks great! Healthy, quick, and super tasty!

Jess March 13, 2013 at 11:01 am

YES! This looks so healthy & pretty. I put balsamic vinegar in everything and those tomatoes… Ah. I think you have inspired me to roast a chicken tonight (even though that’s not exactly what this was, lol)

Some Snapshots Blog
Jess

Lisa March 13, 2013 at 11:12 am

Having recently lost 130# myself and going from a size 24 to a size 4, I can’t tell you how excited it makes me to see someone else who’s passion for cooking and love of food didn’t die just because their former fat self did. I’m always looking for new recipes to try that fall within my new body’s caloric budget and this is DEFINITELY one I’ll be trying… Like, tonight.

Can’t wait to see what you post today!

Andie March 13, 2013 at 4:07 pm

Lisa, 130 pounds?! You’re AMAZING!! Major congratulations are in order.

Thanks very much for your kind comment. I’m so glad to have you here.

Chelsea March 13, 2013 at 11:34 am

This looks delicious! I’ve been making something very similar (your dish plus baby spinach, essentially) that I saw on food network (from Ellie Krieger) for years: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ellie-krieger/balsamic-chicken-with-baby-spinach-recipe/index.html

Andie March 13, 2013 at 4:05 pm

That Ellie Krieger recipe sounds awesome! Thanks Chelsea!

Rachel @ Bakerita March 13, 2013 at 12:41 pm

Psh, salt, pepper, and oil are staples, and therefore don’t count. You win! And you came out with a completely incredibly sounding meal! Definitely need to try making this ASAP. Pinned!

Melissa March 13, 2013 at 4:27 pm

1. This looks amazing and I want it in my face.
b). My stupid google reader hasn’t been sending me updates from you! WAAAHHH! I was wondering where you went! Should’ve known better.

Jenni March 13, 2013 at 6:27 pm

Made this tonight… Amazing! Added some broccoli because it was calling out to me when I opened the fridge, and then I didn’t even need a side dish :)

Michelle Meaney March 13, 2013 at 6:40 pm

Hey Andie

I made this for dinner this evening…. omg it was gorgeous.. i added mushrooms and grilled the chicken but it was still lovely.. the beautiful aroma that filled the house was amazballs lol

thank you for this great receipe that i will no doubt be using again :)

Nichole C March 13, 2013 at 9:45 pm

I will totally be making this; I love your simplicity in your meals while adding so much flavor! Also, like the new navigation/layout here, much easier for me. :)

Dan March 13, 2013 at 10:49 pm

I guess this is probably a moot point with google reader going away in a couple of months, but your posts have not been showing up in my google reader. Figured you were on hiatus, so I swung by to check and lo and behold! I’ve got some posts to catch up on!

johnny March 14, 2013 at 5:45 am

Andy,
Been away for a while and just came back to your sight. Boy, what I have missed. Everything changed (for the better by the way!) Your recipes look great and this latest one sounds and looks very inviting. I’m so glad I decided to come back and check your sight out. :) How is the book coming? Can’t wait to read it. Will stick around this time because I missed your style and you!

Ellen Renee March 21, 2013 at 9:04 pm

Hi Johnny! Been wondering where you have been – noticed you had not left any messages for Andie. Hope all is well.

Sony March 14, 2013 at 8:57 am

This is going to be dinner. Wish me luck! lol

Sony March 19, 2013 at 12:31 am

It was super delicious too!!

Tracy March 14, 2013 at 9:20 am

LOVE the new look!

Hazel March 14, 2013 at 2:32 pm

Hi Andie,
I came across your blog while looking for a particular recipe and couldn’t stop reading all your past posts!
I love everything from your style of writing, the layout, ease of navigation, great photos and wonderful recipes.
I have now subscribed to the regular emails and even mentioned you on my own blog which I have recently started up again after a long break from writing regular posts. I am looking forward to being adventurous in the kitchen :)

Andie March 14, 2013 at 4:22 pm

Hazel,

You are so kind. Wow. Thank you!!

Tessa March 14, 2013 at 7:24 pm

Salt and pepper totally don’t count, so I’d say you ended up with 6 ingredients :)

Regardless of the number of ingredients, this looks great. Makes me want to start dinner right now!

Chels R. March 21, 2013 at 3:02 pm

We just made something like this with bone in pork the other night and it was delicious! I can’t wait to try this version.

Jane March 28, 2013 at 6:47 pm

Yum yum yum! I just made this with a chocolate maple balsamic vinegar.. Yum!!! Thanks Andie for another amazing recipe.

Erin June 27, 2013 at 1:04 pm

Andie,
My husband and I LOVE this recipe! I made it for dinner last night, and when I asked if he’d mind if I ate the leftovers for lunch today, he said that was ok as long as I made it again soon. Thank you so much for creating and posting!

Erin

David June 28, 2013 at 5:28 am

This recipe is a bomb! First time I was kinda afraid of balsamic vinegar since it’s awfuly abused in local restaurants and we already grew a hate against it so I used the port wine (try it). The second attempt now with the balsamic vinegar, was also superb. My whole family was in awe (yeah, I am trying to learn them how to stop eat garbage and start to eat some real food). Thanks for the recipe, 5 out of 5 stars!

Joy January 22, 2014 at 3:21 pm

I made this as well and it was super delicious! I forget how simple food can taste so wonderful. I made this twice already.

Jessica May 15, 2014 at 6:35 pm

I just made this for dinner, tasted great, I added it to my recipe box!