Soba Noodle and Shrimp Salad with Peanut Ginger Dressing

by Andie Mitchell on March 18, 2013

soba noodles with shrimp

I craved something drastically different and less corned than the multiple Irish feasts I ate this past weekend. I needed something or someone to drag me out from my salt cave.

And this was it. Shrimp. Soba noodles. Peanut butter. Ginger. Lime. Love.

soba noodles with shrimp

Served warm, served cold–it offers so much flavor. It’s rich and peanut buttery, but made zingy and bright with soy and fresh squeezed lime. You can taste the sweetness and warmth of fresh ginger and the darker, deeper notes of toasted sesame oil. It’s certainly a healthy perk that the noodles are whole grain (made from buckwheat) and protein-packed. And adding finely shredded Napa cabbage, carrots, and scallions to the noodles adds not only bulk but interesting textural variety as well.

If you try this recipe at home, feel free to use almond butter in place of the peanut or swap chicken for the shrimp.

soba noodles with shrimp

Soba Noodle and Shrimp Salad with Peanut Ginger Dressing

adapted from Giada De Laurentiis

Serves 4

¼ cup creamy peanut butter

2 tablespoons soy sauce

2 tablespoons fresh lime juice

2 tablespoons honey

2 tablespoons sesame oil

1 ½ -inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped­­­­­­­­­­­­­­

1 large garlic clove

8 ounces dried buckwheat soba noodles

3 cups finely shredded Napa cabbage

2 large carrots, grated

1 cup finely chopped scallions

2 teaspoons olive oil

1 ½ pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined

Combine the peanut butter, soy sauce, lime juice, honey, sesame oil, ginger, and garlic in a blender and pulse until smooth.

Boil the soba noodles according to the package directions.

While the noodles are boiling, heat the olive oil in a large frying pan or wok set over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp and cook, stirring frequently, until pink and opaque throughout, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate.

Drain the noodles and put them into a large serving bowl. Add the cabbage, carrots, scallions, and dressing, and toss to combine.

To serve, divide the dressed noodles among four serving bowls and then top each portion with shrimp.

Nutrition Information for 1 Serving (1/4th of Entire Recipe): Calories 465, Total Fat 19 g, Total Carbohydrate 31.5 g, Dietary Fiber 2.7 g, Sugars 11.5 g, Protein 41.7 g

Diane @ Vintage Zest March 18, 2013 at 11:23 pm

Ooh, this looks delish! I’m a bit of a veggie-phile, so I’m going to attempt to swap out some of the noodles for more veggies, and perhaps add bell peppers (my absolute faves). I only have about a week until my Europe trip, so I’ll have to pin this for when I get back in May. Thanks!

Andie March 19, 2013 at 12:17 pm

Where in Europe are you going?! And can we all come?

Diane @ Vintage Zest March 19, 2013 at 3:02 pm

Ha! I’m going to London, Paris, all around southern Ireland including Dublin, Amsterdam, Brussels, and Bruges. I would love an extra travel buddy!

I’m going to take pictures of everything I eat and post it on my blog, so I can share all the yummy eye candy. Oh yes, and the sights as well. :) Is it strange that my favorite part of traveling might be the food? Maybe I can come back a couple of pounds lighter after my month abroad, a la Andie.

Cinnamon Vogue March 19, 2013 at 12:53 am

Good thing you said we can use Almond butter instead of peanut butter, because I am not a fan of peanut butter. What with all the peanut butter allergies and associated problems like the GMO issue, but mostly because I always associate peanut with a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I just can’t get past that.

Having said, this Ginger and Lime combination with shrimp sounds delicious. Of course what the devil is a Napa Cabbage? I really am a peasant. :-) But this is quite healthy. And those elegant chop sticks and photography are the “Pièce de résistance”. Love it.

Andie March 19, 2013 at 12:17 pm

CV,

You are anything but a peasant, my friend :) Napa cabbage is awesome. It’s softer and more delicate than green cabbage, and it looks different too. See this Wiki page for the full run-down: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napa_cabbage

Sonal March 19, 2013 at 7:37 am

Oh my gosh how delicious. It’s lunch time here and looking at the soba noodles is making my tummy rumble! :) Can you use the dressing as a stir fry sauce?

Andie March 19, 2013 at 12:14 pm

Hey Sonal,

Yes, I think you could and I bet it would be fantastic! Now I want to try…

Vanessa Young March 19, 2013 at 8:29 am

Looks very yummy. I wonder how it tastes. From the looks of it, there seems to be mixed flavors of sweetness and sourness as seen by those ingredients. Well, got to try it to find out. Hope I make it right though.

Cindy Marlow March 19, 2013 at 8:37 am

I have a question about sesame oil. I don’t use it often because it overwhelms anything I use it in and/or it is rancid before I can use it. Do you have any tips for buying, storing, and using sesame oil?

Andie March 19, 2013 at 12:13 pm

Hey Cindy,

Hmm…great question. I honestly have never had a problem with rancidity. I store my sesame oil in a dark cupboard for up to 3-5 months before replacing it. I’m not brand loyal, but I always pick out one with a good price point at Whole Foods in the Asian foods section. I’ve also seen many of the same brands in the more mainstream grocery stores, too.
I just googled storage of sesame oil and found that a lot of people recommend refrigerating it and then letting it come to room temp before using it, or running it under warm water before using to soften it back to liquid form. Here’s a page from the Cooking Light forums: https://community.cookinglight.com/showthread.php?73809-Storing-Sesame-Oil

Maureen @ Breaking Free & Finding Me March 19, 2013 at 12:49 pm

Yum! I too need a detox from the Irish feasts of the past week! I’m going to try this out!

Dani's Dish March 19, 2013 at 12:53 pm

OK, now THIS sounds absolutely amazing. Wow, I can’t wait to try. Thanks for this delish post!

Jess March 19, 2013 at 1:55 pm

My boyfriend would looooove this!

Some Snapshots Blog
Jess

alin March 20, 2013 at 7:07 pm

your logo looks a bit like a tombstone on a hill. stay for dinner, stay FOREVER!

Heather March 21, 2013 at 9:59 am

This looks so unbelievably delicious! I’ve just started a total lifestyle over haul, and this is just what I need! you’re such an inspiration :) xx

myrealfooddiary.blogspot.com

Barb Hess March 23, 2013 at 5:53 pm

Mmmmm … We made it with chicken (I have a seafood allergy) and it was great! Next time we might try the almond butter just for kicks, and if we get really crazy we might go with tofu, too. The shrimp in those photos look really good, it’s times like these when I miss it! Thanks!

Liza March 24, 2013 at 2:13 am

This looks so delicious! I was at the groceries today determined to try one of your recipes
ones and for all. However, I couldn’t find the Buckwheat Soba Noodles. What is it? They took me to the Asian area and I found Chuka Soba pasta. No one knew where to find this pasta. :( Where in the supermarket can I find this?
Help!
Thanks!

Andie March 24, 2013 at 9:27 am

Hey Liza,

Thanks for the kind comment about the dish!

Sorry, I should have been clearer: soba noodles are made from buckwheat, but the package may not say “buckwheat,” just “soba noodles”. Any brand/kind will do. From my experience in most grocery stores across the country (Shaw’s, Safeway, Stop&Shop, Kroger, you name it) there’s usually some kind of soba noodle in the Asian section. Here is what my package looked like: http://www.amazon.com/Roland-Buckwheat-Soba-Noodles/dp/B001QPO4QO

I hope this helps!

Katie March 31, 2013 at 8:25 pm

Hey Andie,
Living, as I am, in a part of the world where Asian sections of the market consist only of soy sauce and pre-packaged ramen, I don’t have access to soba noodles. Any recommendations for what type of noodles to sub for the soba, for now?

Andie April 3, 2013 at 4:45 pm

Hey Katie,

I’d just use plain spaghetti (whole wheat if you can find it)–the results should be nearly identical in flavor and not too different in texture!

Cynthia July 26, 2013 at 5:43 pm

Highly recommend this – easy to prepare. Used baby bok choy instead of Napa, less honey than called for, and added some red pepper flakes. When I make this again, will skip the honey.

Morgan October 17, 2013 at 6:44 pm

Made this for lunch today! So yummy! I added spinach and broccoli for added nutrients. So satisfying! I’m sort of obsessed with cooking all of your recipes right now. Each of them is tastier then the next! Thanks for sharing.

Julie March 10, 2014 at 6:34 pm

This was FANTASTIC!! Will definitely double the next time. This will be a great side for parties/cookouts, YUM!!

Sharon D. March 28, 2014 at 12:55 pm

Andie, I’m making this tonight for dinner. It just sounds so light and delicious. Thanks for sharing this recipe!

Sharon D. April 1, 2014 at 6:50 pm

Reporting back on my dinner…It was fantastic! Even my picky husband loved it, and asked me to save the recipe to make again! So this is a keeper, Andie! :)