Putting My Mom on a Diet: Week 17 Meal Plan and Weigh-In

by Andie Mitchell on October 16, 2013

For new readers, here’s a brief refresher: I’m putting my mom on a diet, here is the plan I designed for her, and here are her weekly updates: week 1week 2week 3week 4week 5week 6week 7week 8week 9week 10week 11week 12week 13week 14week 15week 16. Welcome!

Monday

Breakfast: 1 1/2 cups Cascadian Farm Honey Nut O’s cereal (165) + 1 banana (100) + 1 cup 1% milk (110) = 375

Lunch: Honey Mustard Chicken Salad
vegetable base (3 large handfuls mixed greens, ½ cup chopped bell pepper, ½ cup chopped cucumber, ½ cup shredded carrot, 6-8 cherry tomatoes=50 calories) + 1 ounce crumbled feta cheese (1/4 cup = 70 calories) + 3 ounces marinated and grilled chicken (90 for chicken alone + 30 for marinade = 120) + 2 tablespoons Ken’s Light Honey Mustard Dressing (80) + 2 tablespoons sliced almonds (1/2 ounce = 80) = 400

Snack: 1 apple (100) + 1 tablespoon natural peanut butter (100) = 200

haddock

Dinner: 6 ounces haddock (~150) dipped in 1 beaten egg (~10 calories since all of the egg is not used) and coated in 5 crushed Ritz crackers (salt, pepper, and smoked paprika added to the crushed crackers before pressing onto the fillet, 80) + 1 1/2 cups mixed salad (20) + 1 tablespoon Ken’s Light Options Balsamic Dressing (30) + 1 cup steamed broccoli (50) + 1/2 cup store-bought coleslaw (150) = 490

Dessert: Skinny Cow Ice Cream Sandwich (150)

Total: 1645

….

Tuesday

same B, L, S as Monday (975)

grilled chicken

Dinner: 4 ounces grilled chicken breast (120 for chicken alone + 30 for marinade = 150) + 3/4 cup mashed potatoes (made with butter and 1% milk, 250) (mashed potatoes were drizzled with the drippings from the just-cooked chicken) + 1 1/2 cups steamed broccoli (75) = 475

Dessert: same as Monday (150)

Total: 1600

….

Wednesday

Breakfast: 1/2 cup dry old fashioned Quaker oats (150) made with 1 cup water, topped with 2 tablespoons sliced almonds (14 grams = 80) + 2 tablespoons dried cranberries (70) = 300

Lunch: 4 ounces leftover grilled chicken breast from Tuesday’s dinner (150) + 1 package Green Giant Simply Steam Green Beans & Almonds (120) = 270

Snack: same as Monday (200)

pulled pork

Dinner: Slow cooked pulled pork (this recipe without the slaw = 280) + 1 small baked potato (6 ounces cooked = 150) + 1 1/2 cups mixed green salad (20) + 1 tablespoon Ken’s Light Options Balsamic Dressing (30) = 480

Dessert: Skinny Cow Ice Cream Sandwich (150)

Total: 1400

….

Thursday

Breakfast: 1 1/2 cups Cascadian Farm Honey Nut O’s cereal (165) + 1 banana (100) + 1 cup 1% milk (110) = 375

Lunch: 1 Joseph’s Flax, Oat Bran, and Whole Wheat Lavash Bread (100) + 3 ounces Dietz & Watson maple-glazed ham (90) + 1 ounce Hoffman’s sliced cheddar cheese (110) + 2 teaspoons yellow mustard (10) + lettuce and tomato (15) = 325
+ 1 cup red grapes (60) = 385

Snack: 1 apple (100) + 1 tablespoon natural peanut butter (100) = 200

Dinner: Take-out pizza
2 slices from a large (16-inch) thin-crust pepperoni pie (300 each = 600)

Total: 1560

….

Friday

Breakfast: Ezekiel Sprouted Grain Cinnamon Raisin English Muffin (160) + 2 teaspoons butter (60) = 220

Out to lunch: Cobb Salad with 2 tablespoons light creamy Italian dressing at a local sub shop (500)

Dinner: 4 ounces grilled bunless cheeseburger (240 for beef alone + 100 for 1 ounce of American cheese = 340) + 2 cups grilled zucchini and asparagus (drizzled in olive oil and seasoned with salt and pepper, 150) = 490

Dessert: Skinny Cow Ice Cream Sandwich (150)

Total: 1360

….

Saturday

Lunch: PB & J Wrap
Joseph’s Flax, Oat Bran, and Whole Wheat Wrap (100) + 2 tablespoons all-natural peanut butter (200) + 2 tablespoons Bonne Maman strawberry preserves (100) = 400

Dinner Party (hosted at home): 1 small crostini with mozzarella and prosciutto (150) + 3 ounces balsamic glazed beef tenderloin (200) + 1/2 cup lemon-basil potatoes (150) + 1/2 cup pasta (buttered, 150) + 2 meatballs (150) = 800

Dessert: 1 slice chocolate cake (350)

Total: 1925

….

Sunday

Breakfast: 1 cup Uncle Sam Original cereal (~250) + 1 cup 1% milk (110) = 360

Out to lunch: Grilled chicken salad with honey mustard dressing on the side (Mom used about 2 tablespoons, 500)

Out to dinner: Bunless cheeseburger (assuming 8 ounces which would be 480 for beef alone + ~100 for 1 ounce of cheese = 580) + small side of steamed vegetables (50) = 630

Total: 1490

….

Week 17 Weigh-In:

Starting Weight: 210

Week 1 Weight: 201.4 (down 8.6)

Week 2 Weight: 199.4 (down 2.0)

Week 3 Weight: 199 (down 0.4)

Week 4 Weight: 196 (down 3)

Week 5 Weight: 194.4 (down 1.6)

Week 6 Weight: 193 (down 1.4)

Week 7 Weight: 192 (down 1)

Week 8 Weight: 188.8 (down 3.2)

Week 9 Weight: 187.6 (down 1.2)

Week 10 Weight: 186.4 (down 1.2)

Week 11 Weight: 186.4 (same)

Week 12 Weight: 186 (down .4)

Week 13 Weight: 183.6 (down 2.4)

Week 14 Weight: 183.2 (down .4)

Week 15 Weight: 182 (down 1.2)

Week 16 Weight: 179.8 (down 2.2)

Week 17 Weight: 179.6 (down .2)

Total Pounds Lost: 30.4 pounds

Sad to say there’s no Mom note this week! This coming Monday you can expect a full update, including the test results from Mom’s recent doctor’s visit. She has lots to share about the changes in her cholesterol, blood pressure, etc. I’m looking forward to seeing the difference between her starting numbers — taken just before we started this journey — and now.
Hope you’re having a good week!

CLICK HERE for a printable version of this week’s meal plan!

Diane @ Vintage Zest October 16, 2013 at 1:21 am

Oh yay! The medical nerd in me is looking forward to the changes too! The pounds on the scale don’t always reflect the internal changes, so this will be illuminating to see how 17 weeks of improved eating will affect her health. Good luck!

kristen @ verbs and vignettes October 16, 2013 at 7:49 am

i really cannot get enough of these updates! you + your mama are inspiring. i was just reading one of your “journey” posts last night while making myself log the excess of food i ate yesterday. but i did it. and it wasn’t so bad. :)

your mom’s journey is amazing to read. and i loooove reading the feedback at the end. makes me remember i’m not alone in this (like the back and forth with food guilt). can’t wait to read about the health updates!

Katie Marini October 16, 2013 at 10:52 am

Andie–

As much as I enjoy reading about your Mom’s successes–and 30 pounds in 17 weeks is an awesome accomplishment–I miss your more personal posts. How are you doing? How’s the packing going for NY? What is going on in your life these days?

As for me, I’m 25 weeks pregnant, trying to remember that there are other food groups than chocolate, while trying to juggle the various responsibilities of parenting a 9-month old, being a wife and working full time. Sometimes, I have things under control but often I feel like I’m grasping at straws, trying to get from one day to the next. I keep waiting for life to pause so I can catch up, haha. Anyway, what I’m trying to say is I like reading about the “deeper things” and hope that you can share them soon.

Katie

Vicky October 16, 2013 at 11:13 am

I love seeing the pictures of what your mother is eating. I’d really like to see a week of what Andie eats and comments about her eating. Any chance of that in the future?

Rocio October 16, 2013 at 1:05 pm

The food always looks so good! I wish they sold skinny cow desserts in Mexico. Can you offer any substitutions that also involve iceream of some sort?

T. October 16, 2013 at 5:19 pm

Great job sticking with it. I start feeling bored with healthy eating but then I always get a new idea from your posts. Made the chicken w/ balsamic tomatoes last night & it was great. Thanks!

Denise October 16, 2013 at 6:57 pm

Someone just told me about your blog and also “Cooking With Mr. C.” on Facebook. I will check your blog out. Denise

Jo Craven October 17, 2013 at 9:43 am

Wow that is an impressive meal plan. Mind if I steal a couple ideas? :)
Your mom has lost quite a bit on your diet. Good on her and well done, too!

Cathy October 17, 2013 at 10:18 pm

Andie, What you are doing for your Mom is so absolutely wonderful! The fact that she is willing to have you help her in this way shows a lot about her love for and trust in you. I love reading your blog and seeing the progress your mom is making. It is so encouraging!

Alex D October 17, 2013 at 11:07 pm

Looking forward to seeing the results from the docs, excited to see the changes from the beginning to now :)

julia souza October 18, 2013 at 10:45 am

hats off to you for that great meal plan you prepared for your mom. Her complete trust in you is just a way of telling that you are a pro where fitness is concerned. thanks for sharing this post!

Cailee October 19, 2013 at 10:33 am

Oh!! These meals looks so yummy! I’m glad that you have taken such a balanced approach with your mom, and your own diet… it’s very inspiring!!

Allie October 21, 2013 at 2:29 pm

So glad I found this; it’s so inspirational to read. I’ve found that having a conscience awareness of what I eat has a profound impact on my diet.

T. October 21, 2013 at 9:28 pm

Maryellen,
I just wanted to share that I checked some of The Biggest Loser books out of the library and they have been really good. They use calorie counting and are quite similar to Andie’s take on things-journaling, having treats now and then, and flavorful food. I think you’d enjoy them. I’ve read the one on motivation and it had some good ideas, now the one I’m on is healthy swaps and have gotten some great ideas there too. I thought you might enjoy since I know you’ll be learning much of this on your own once Andie moves. They are very educational and practical.
Update: I just finished my week nine and am down 6.8 lbs. I can wear these cute Ann Taylor wintery pants that I got on clearance but NEVER could wear because they were always just a smidge too tight. Now I can. Hooray! Thanks for your inspiration. :)

anderson February 21, 2014 at 2:05 pm