Putting My Mom on a Diet: One Month Eating on Her Own

by Andie Mitchell on December 3, 2013

Mom 1

You guys! Remember Mom? Well she’s back. A whole month has passed since I left Massachusetts, and she’s here with all the details about her time adjusting to eating on her own.

Mom 2

She even sent along these progress pictures! Guaranteed that she will burn that tank top very soon since she’s worn it just shy of a million times in all of these very public photos.

Mom 3

Hello everyone!

So very sorry for not having written sooner — I have no good excuses.  I hope that everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving with their loved ones!  I truly enjoyed mine and loved having my kids around (except Anthony and Claire, who spent the holiday with Claire’s family).  Andrea was home for the week and I loved it so much.  She worked so hard and made a beautiful meal for us with Paul that was so delicious.  She made apple, blueberry and cranberry walnut pies (no she did not make her famous coconut custard, but she can’t do everything!) She made pecan stuffing, squash, homemade cranberry sauce (and I mean vats of the stuff).

thanksgiving dinner

pie table

Andrea shopped, she cleaned, and she even helped me decorate.  Below you will see pictures of our house, all festive for Thanksgiving.

thanksgiving decorations

thanksgiving decorations

thanksgiving table

thanksgiving table

I have to tell you that it has not been easy without her here.  I don’t quite do the same portions of food with the ease that she did.  I was never one to measure or someone who would carefully portion out her food.  My sandwiches now are a little plumper and my snacks are a bit larger also.  I have been up and down by 5 pounds for the past month or so.  Actually after she left I had a few treats to ease the pain.  I got the fudge, I had the Chinese food buffet and yes I had pizza and appetizers.  I pie tested, I sampled, and I ate half a dozen of the chocolate mints that I put on everyone’s plate for Thanksgiving dinner.  They looked great and people didn’t eat them so I saw no reason to pack them away when I could just have a few, or six (they were small, how many calories could they possibly be?).

I worried about Andrea every minute that she was gone — Was she okay? Was anyone bothering her? And did she have food to eat at her new place?   I worried about the 96-inch sofa that she and I spent hours picking out, only to have it delivered and the guy wouldn’t even take it off the truck, simply telling Andrea, “Lady that couch will never fit up your stairs.”  I was panicked thinking of my little girl not having anywhere to lay down and watch TV, or to sprawl out and read People magazine.  Luckily she just found another sofa that will work.

Anyway, everyday I keep at it.  I eat fruit, Paul makes me salad, and I still drink diet soda and water.  I consciously make a choice to give it my best.  I really don’t want to gain back the weight I’ve lost. With that said, I am still weighing in at 173 lbs.  Mind you, I weighed 163 lbs when I delivered Anthony and Andrea.  But I will get there and I will make it through Christmas with some sense of ownership for my actions.  I am not having the wonderful meals Andrea used to put together, but we are still eating some good stuff.  I had Paul take pictures of me at my current weight.  I will tell you that I did not put too much effort into how I looked as it is winter and I am always cold and tired.  Now that I have lost 37 lbs in total, my body is pretty jiggly and loose. You can see some of that in the pictures.  I am getting older and my muscle tone isn’t quite the same, but that’s OK. I still feel good.

This is the basic menu of what I’ve been eating:

Breakfast:  an English muffin with a tablespoon of peanut butter and a banana

Lunch:   a wrap (on Joseph’s Lavash bread) with ham or turkey and cheese, along with an apple and a diet soda

Snack:  an orange or a handful of nuts and raisins

Dinner:  4 ounces of meat/chicken/fish
1/2 a large sweet potato
a vegetable

Dessert:  Always a SKINNY COW ICE CREAM

I also drink several bottles of water during the day.

Well, I will sign off for now.  I will talk to you again soon, hopefully around Christmas, and I’ll let you know how I’ve fared at all the holiday parties!  Wishing you all some peace with the Christmas rush ahead and a very happy and safe Hanukkah to all of my Jewish friends.

Always,

Maryellen

Cinnamon Vogue December 3, 2013 at 10:49 pm

Maryellen thanks for the update. I was afraid you would loose your motivation now that Andie is gone and your heart being sad and all, but you have proven me wrong. Keep it up!!. You are looking really good, although you can cut out the diet I think. Drink tea I tell ya. :-)

The table setting looks marvelous. You must have been really glad Andie got home for Thanksgiving. She is a talented girl that girl of yours.

Anyway just wanted to tell you that you inspire us all. Great job.

Niamh Healy December 4, 2013 at 2:38 am

Maryellen, you are doing fantastically. I want to tell you to be proud. You are eating healthily and consciously which is the most important thing. Days come when we eat with our feelings and you are working really hard to address that. I am inspired by you. Well done and the happiest of holidays to you and yours!

Nancy A. December 4, 2013 at 6:01 am

You are doing great on your own. It is hard when you worry about your daughter in a big town, sounds just like me and my daughter. Then, I also eat out of panic and worry. I can imagine so many things going wrong, which don’t luckily, but you still worry. She is a wonderful, smart young lady and will do great and so will you. Hope I can stop from eating all the food at this time of year. I have lost 56 pounds and am so worried about putting it back on, that this week has not been good for me. I just picking at junk that I know I shouldn’t eat. Well, I love reading your journey and you keep up the good work.

Jennifer December 4, 2013 at 8:31 am

So glad that you’re doing your best to keep up! You look AMAZING!

Kate December 4, 2013 at 8:48 am

Maryellen,

Congratulations on your continued efforts and success! I are owning your struggles, and still eating well along the way. I am so impressed with you and your amazing daughter! Keep it up. I look forward to your future posts and progress!!

kelly December 4, 2013 at 9:01 am

Maryellen I just love you and Andrea !! Your progress is amazing keep up the good work. Andrea do you think you will ever do diet plans for others?? I am only speaking for myself but I know I could use someone coaching and helping me through this :)

Happy Holidays !!

Laura Allen December 4, 2013 at 9:17 am

What an opportunity you have to show thanks to Andie for her unmatched efforts to support you! You have taken her career as a blogger to a whole other level by exhibiting that her methods don’t just work for her, they also work for others! I identified with the hypothyroidism that you mentioned having, and weigh exactly what you started at. Because this has worked for you, and I so identified with you, I have finally given up on diets and have set my face to follow your lead by counting calories. Your decision to push ahead without Andie home further validates her work as a blogger- showing that what she says is true, and that anyone can reach victory by following her lead. I thought of you as I toasted my English muffin this morning, and I entreat you to blaze ahead! What a way to love all of us who so identify with you and have chosen to step out in faith as we follow your lead! Go, momma, go! You can do it! Looking forward to a letter at Christmas hearing about how you list eight more pounds and started a push up and sit up regime to tone up! Go team Andie! With love from Virginia.

B December 4, 2013 at 11:45 am

I am so excited for you and delighted to see these pictures. A big thank you to both of you for posting about this journey, it has inspired me to count calories and lose weight and I’ve also shared it with a friend that needed to lose some weight for a medical condition but didn’t know where to start. Weight Watchers has always been touted as the reasonable approach, but they push their processed foods so hard– I love seeing the healthy, homemade meals that you guys put together. Hope to see another update after the Christmas/NYE period, keep at it Maryellen, you’re doing great!

Rocio December 4, 2013 at 5:33 pm

Maryellen you look Amazing!! So skinny!! I am glad Andy is doing good in New York! :)

Jillian December 4, 2013 at 10:51 pm

You look fantastic! Congratulations on all you have accomplished and for hanging in there for the long haul… I’m so impressed and inspired.

Donna December 5, 2013 at 6:26 am

Maryellen, Thanks for taking the time to update us on your progress. You look wonderful! Like you, I am focusing on how I FEEL and not so much on how I look (I can relate to the the issues of aging with sagging skin and jiggly muscles – despite my exercise). The pictures of your home and your Thanksgiving meal make our friendship seem real rather than virtual. If you lived next door, we’d meet for a walk and cup of coffee this morning. I enjoy hearing all about Andie’s adventures in New York and I pray for success and safety for her.

Samantha December 5, 2013 at 6:42 am

Wow looking good! Keep it up you look great!

Effie December 5, 2013 at 9:03 am

Maryellen, congratulations! I was so excited to see an update from you! You should be so so so proud of maintaining your progress even during such a difficult transition. Your meals sound balanced and delicious– nothing wrong with keeping it simple! Best of luck and keep up the good work!

Grazing Dani December 6, 2013 at 9:58 am

After what seems like weeks and weeks of checking back for updates, I was sooo excited to find this post! My Friday treat! So glad to hear that you are standing by your new, healthy ways. You are really looking yearssss younger. Your face and neck are so definied now! So trim! It takes so much inner strength not to slip back into your old habits. Congrats on all your hard work!

Hairspray59 December 6, 2013 at 6:07 pm

It’s amazing what a person can do in a month with the right plan and support. Congratulations

Chloe Baker December 7, 2013 at 10:04 am

Well done honey, you look amazing! Keep it up! You’re an inspiration!

Tracy December 9, 2013 at 3:22 pm

YOU look amazing!!! So very proud!

gianna December 10, 2013 at 2:09 am

Hi, Maryellen! I found your post very interesting. I’ve been trying to find weight loss and diet plans for people who are not quite in their 20′s anymore and I’d really love to hear more about how you’re going about your weight loss goals.

You look fab, btw. Keep it up! :)

Annelies December 10, 2013 at 8:51 pm

Keep it up Maryellen!!

Silvia December 10, 2013 at 11:10 pm

Spectacular!!! Wow! Good for you!

Lori December 12, 2013 at 4:59 pm

Maryellen,
I just started reading Andie’s blog and have to say, you look fantastic and the weight loss is so apparent. I don’t know if you noticed, but look at how many full bricks you can see on each side of you on the fireplace when you take your shots. You are clearly taking up less space. :)

Good luck and keep it up!!

Lori January 5, 2014 at 7:13 pm

Feeling very inspired. Always love to hear ideas for what to eat. I can get bored and then I veer off the path. Glad to hear things are going well.

Caroline January 17, 2014 at 9:44 pm

You look amazing. You have really come along way. You are inspiring me to keep up with my weight loss goals. Keep up the good work!!!

easy recipes for pork chops on grill March 12, 2014 at 5:19 am

To add to that, these recipes are also designed to help your body fight what is
known to be the metabolic adaptation phenomenon. To make your own baby shampoo at home, you’ll need:.

This article has Pizza Hut’s copycat recipe and the history of
the pizza.

Snez April 15, 2014 at 10:30 pm

So hows your mom doing now? I need motivation!!!! lol

how to get laid in vegas July 11, 2014 at 12:54 pm

Hi, Neat post. There’s an issue together with your site in internet explorer, would check this?
IE still is the market leader and a big section of other folks will
miss your magnificent writing because of this problem.

marketing write articles October 23, 2014 at 5:36 am

I think this is among the most imporrant informatgion for me.
And i am glad reading your article. But wanna remark on some general
things, The webssite style is perfect, the articles is really great : D.
Good job, cheers