Happy Holidays!

by Andie Mitchell on December 31, 2013

christmas decorations

Happy holidays friends!

I’ve been home in Massachusetts with family since Christmas Eve, and it’s been lovely. I was able to spend time with family and friends, eat eat eat, and most importantly, get up close and personal with the love of my life, Leonardo DiCaprio, in the Wolf of Wall Street, on Christmas day. He and Jonah Hill were fantastic, to be sure, but it was really the editing of the movie that was most impressive.

As I write this, I’m on the train back to Manhattan so that I can celebrate New Year’s Eve in the city with friends. I’m currently thinking about doling out an obscene amount of money for one of those fancy club experiences — the ones with open bar, a dress code, and no shortage of smug. It’s either that or bar hopping, which will come with its own set of cover charges, but a little less claustrophobia. All I want is to wear sequins. I’ll let you know how it goes. Here are a few photos from Mom’s house, with some snapshots of her slim self thrown in at the end. She made it to her goal of 170 by Christmas, which is nothing short of amazing. Forty pounds gone. She looks so happy, so healthy. A true beauty.

christmas decorations

christmas decorations

christmas decorations

christmas decorations

christmas decorations

christmas decorations

mom

Remember that this is where she started:

Mom

See more of her week 1 pictures here.

mom

mom

mom

[For new readers, here’s a flashback: I’m putting my mom on a diet, here is the plan I designed for her, and here are her weekly updates: week 1week 2week 3week 4week 5week 6week 7week 8week 9week 10week 11week 12week 13week 14week 15week 16week 17week 18, week 19.]

Happy New Year, all! What are you up to tonight?

nazila December 31, 2013 at 2:12 pm

your mom looks fab! Please put me on a diet!

Cinnamon Vogue December 31, 2013 at 2:15 pm

Happy Holidays Andie and all the best for 2014!

Wow your mom looks like a different person. Marie Ellen you did an amazing job. I think for 2014 you can build on that and refine it to another level.

Andie you have a great New Year’s party. Make sure any club you go to has good fire exits.Be safe and don’t spend too much money. You have all of 2014 to spend it. On the other hand you only have that New York experience once in a life time so go for it. Dress it up. A chance to meet some great people so you have to make the best use of it.

Take the Camera. We want lots of photos.

Karen December 31, 2013 at 2:42 pm

Happy New Years and Happy Holidays!!! Enjoy NYC tonight. that is definitely on the bucket list. Just need to get brave enough ;)

Susan December 31, 2013 at 8:49 pm

Happy and Healthy New Years to you and your Mom!! She looks fantastic!!!

LN December 31, 2013 at 10:33 pm

Happy New year. Your mother looks fantastic and so happy. You and your mother made such a good team in her weight loss adventure. Hope your other writes something next time.

Hootie December 31, 2013 at 10:46 pm

Ahh…was looking at some blogs about new paint techniques for all that furniture I have been redoing. Swung by here, so glad I did, such a pick me up (we are happy, bitches hate that lol). I have been so luciously sorry while off for 2 wks! Exception: Tracy Anderson metamorphosis workouts (6 down) and tomorrow (thank God) is rest day! She! Is a crazy person! Have fun! Still refining my resolution…it has something to do with respecting my time, building a schedule, work boundaries…still haven’t nailed it down :) looking forward to news from NYC! Take care Andie. Maryellen, you look fantastic!

Mary December 31, 2013 at 10:51 pm

Oh your mother looks FANTASTIC!!! What a lovely lovely surprise on your blog today. I’ve been missing your posts & your mother’s updates.
Congratulations MaryEllen & Andie! Keep it up.
Cheers to a wonderful & healthy 2014!

Diane @ Vintage Zest January 1, 2014 at 1:07 am

I’m celebrating with family and struggling to make it after waking up at 6am for no good reason!
Happy new year!

Rhonda January 1, 2014 at 7:50 am

The house is beautifully decorated. Your mother looks amazing! I am so proud of what she has done, and I am envious too. I haven’t been nearly as successful. So this inspires me to keep going and trying to accomplish my weight loss goals. Thanks for the inspiration. Happy New Year.

Sharon D. January 1, 2014 at 1:06 pm

Happy New Year, Andie! Maryellen looks so happy, and healthy. It was really good to hear from you. Have a wonderful 2014 in NYC!

TrishInFL January 1, 2014 at 8:52 pm

Your Mom looks fantastic!! What a great accomplishment, 40 pounds!!

I wish you both a happy and healthy New Year!!

Shelly January 1, 2014 at 10:01 pm

Happy New Year Andie! So happy to see your mom’s success, such an inspiration and definitely a great accomplishment.

Hope you had a fun night out in NYC last night!!

Shelly

Catherine @ Rabbit Food For My Bunny Teeth January 2, 2014 at 5:58 am

Congratulations on all of your hard work Maryellen! Your transformation is remarkable and so inspiring. I actually did a double take while looking at your recent photos! Keep up the great work! I hope you had a great holiday Andie & Maryellen! xo

JRM January 2, 2014 at 8:21 am

Great job, Mom! Looks at least 10 years younger! Not to say that she looked “old” just more vibrant now.

marybeth January 2, 2014 at 10:00 am

I happened to have tripped across your site when I was trying to make a few Christmas dishes for my celiac, vegan daughter. Love your recipes and take on life! But it was when I read about the “diet” you put your Mom on that I took a deep breath and read all 19 weeks of her reaction to the changes, and how she managed to stay sane. I want you to know that I believe you just might have helped me, too. Like your Mom, I’m older….celebrated 60 last September. I have two great kids out on their own and after a divorce, a wonderful man who loves me for me. But 40 pounds later, gaining and losing weight so many times I’ve lost count with every conceivable diet known to mankind, the light bulb went off when I watched your Mom’s transformation. It’s not about taking something out of your food choices (Paleo, Atkins, sugar, wheat, dairy, carbs, etc.)……it’s about creating food choices knowing what you like, in portions that allow you to lose weight. I don’t want to mourn the loss of my hand made pasta……it’s always going to be part of who I am….in the kitchen and shaking those pots and pans. So, here goes…..yes it is yet another start but one that will celebrate who I am by maximizing my strengths. Wish me luck!

Tracy January 2, 2014 at 10:10 am

Mama is looking fabulous!

Stephanie Hanson January 2, 2014 at 10:25 am

Happy 2014!!

Mary Ellen – you just look absolutely fantastic!! It is amazing to see the progress you made and you should be incredibly proud of yourself. Hard work pays off in the end…the proof is in the pudding :-)

I wish you both the best in the New Year and will continue to follow your life’s journey!

Kate @ Coffee with Kate January 2, 2014 at 4:54 pm

Beautiful decorations and your Mom looks amazing. Keep up the great work, both of you! Love following the journey.

Cassie January 2, 2014 at 6:34 pm

Moms love being proud of their daughters so much (and I am sure that your’s is daily), but how amazing is it to feel proud of your mom? Happy New Year to both of you!

ASuburbanLife January 3, 2014 at 12:41 am

Oh my gosh, your mom looks YOUNGER! Well done her! And her Christmas decorations are so lovely too!

morgan January 3, 2014 at 6:44 pm

Oh my goodness!!! Tell your mother she looks FABULOUS. Not to mention her house! Absolutely beautiful. You two have a very admirable relationship that I hope to have one day as well.

Aerevyn January 4, 2014 at 3:34 pm

Your mom looks so awesome! Look at her waist!

I love most the picture of her and her pug – her vitality leaps off the page.

Leslie January 4, 2014 at 7:07 pm

Love all the pictures and decorations. I hope you had a wonderful time in New York for New Year’s Eve. Your mom looks great. I entered into 2014 having lost 52 pounds. I am so excited :)

Amy January 6, 2014 at 2:22 pm

Your mom’s house was beautiful and your mom looks amazing! So excited for her. Glad you had a good holiday season! Enjoy your new year!

Jessica January 14, 2014 at 8:57 am

I clearly get to your posts a bit late, but the decor is amazing, and your mom looks fantastic! What a wonderful place to spend the holidays. Wishing you many blessings in 2014!

Leesa March 6, 2014 at 10:15 am

Was Week 19 the last post for weight on mom update? I’m so encouraged by the story/blogs. Today is March 6th, 2014, and I would think she’s reached goal but don’t see any other posts?
Anyone here know?