Let’s Catch Up

by Andie Mitchell on July 22, 2014

new york, new york

It’s been so long since I’ve written about what’s going on in my everyday life. Let’s catch up!

new york city street

For the past six months I’ve worked as Social Media Director for The Shriver Report — Maria Shriver’s nonprofit initiative dedicated to chronicling the status of American women and all of the shifts in American culture that affect us today. The goal is to raise awareness, ignite conversations, and inspire impact around the defining issues facing modern women and their families.

shriver report

It’s an incredible project and I’ve really loved working on something so meaningful. Through the winter and spring, I took part in a few really memorable events: promoting the release of our Emmy-nominated HBO documentary and hosting Oprah’s first ever Google Hangout. Yes, Oprah. I know. I was in my apartment spilling coffee all over myself.

working from home

Let’s see…what else?

Grand Cayman

I went on vacation to Grand Cayman with my best friend, Kate. For no reason other than we love each other. We really like to do this thing where we celebrate each year of friendship, which I know, I know, seems fairly over-the-top. But it’s sweet and it’s perfect. We’ve spent seventeen years together as these inseparable halves and I have trouble remembering my life before she came into it. She’s everything to me. We joke that we’d like to write a book on staying together — that this relationship we’ve grown is the one we’re most proud of — and sometimes I think about actually going through with writing it.

vacation

On the trip, we read, relaxed, paddle boarded like professional failures, got massages, ate loads of seafood, talked about absolutely every last thing on Earth, and just generally sweated and burned ourselves in areas that are hard to reach with sunblock. It was the best time. Next year we want to do something major, like the Greek Isles. What do you think?

vacation breakfast

iced coffee on the beach

fresh juice bar

And we can’t forget about New York.

new york

Sabrina and I have walked these city streets for miles. On weekends, we make a loop around the upper west side and down again. We stop at the Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf, sit on the floor at Barnes and Noble and wonder what will happen when the bookstores are all gone, catch movies at the AMC with the huge reclining seats, trek to Brooklyn for Brooklyn things — like dog fashion shows.

sabrina

We speak in a shorthand language, watch old episodes of Dawson’s Creek (Pacey+Joey), and mostly — just become more of the same eccentric human being.

new york

We have our own rhythm. We know each other in ways that couples do and the level of comfort between us is precisely what has made New York City feel so quickly like home for me. Friends of friends are starting to notice the ways in which we’re becoming the same damn human. I’ll anticipate the ends of her sentences and she’ll say exactly what’s on my mind before the thought crosses my lips. We emphasize words just the same. Sometimes we both just so happen to want to order doughnuts in the middle of the night. We tell stories with the same prominence of cynicism.

cookout

I looked over at her the other day and remember thinking about how lucky I am to have her as my partner here in Manhattan. She’s just so unbearably good. Supportive and funny and loving in ways I couldn’t have expected from anyone.

She also just WON HER SECOND EMMY.

emmy

I’m realizing just now that this has turned into a post about my best friends, and, well I guess that makes sense. They’ve made my year, and continue to make my life.
white's pastry shop baby shower cake

The last bit of true, true excitement is that my brother and my sister-in-law are having a baby girl in mid-August. When I tell you that I’m thrilled, I mean: take “thrilled,” set it on fire, then make s’mores over it. I haven’t been so eager, so excited for anything in at least ten years –and I’m guessing on that number; I just have a feeling that something arbitrary happened in high school that absolutely lit my world on fire. I don’t know how I can love someone so much so soon, but I do. I’m just…I can’t even get into it because I’ll start crying on my keyboard. I love her like I love my brother — fiercely. In this crazy unconditional way.

baby shower

I asked my brother if she could come and stay in New York with me and he said, without a moment’s hesitation, “No. Not ever.” So. I’ve already begun buying her millions of obnoxious things embroidered with sayings like “My aunt is my BFF.”

She will rebel.

i love my aunt bib

Other than that, I’m eating well, cooking every day, exercising at New York Sports Club, and working on the cookbook, which is due to my editor in November!

andie

Just generally fitting right in with New Yorkers.

What’s going on with you?

Stacy Dalton July 22, 2014 at 1:29 pm

I love your story. If I could live your life for one day – that would be fabulous! I know that everyone has hardships and pain…but you are in a really amazing place right now. Enjoy it! You are an inspiration to the masses. We love and support you. We think of you daily. We envy your sense of adventure and truth.

Andie Mitchell August 3, 2014 at 10:52 am

You are so good to me, Stacy. Thank you!!

Jamielynn July 22, 2014 at 1:39 pm

Congrats, Andie!!! It sounds like things are just incredible for you (and your friends) right now!! You deserve it! I completely understand your crazy love for your future niece I have one brother and he has two children, a girl and a boy and they are amazing!!! Congrats to you, future Aunt!!!

Andie Mitchell August 3, 2014 at 10:54 am

Thanks Jamielynn!! So exciting that your brother has two sweet kiddos for you to go crazy over :)

Sara July 22, 2014 at 3:28 pm

Sounds fantastic! I just love your writing :) Me? Oh, just sitting on my hands in anticipation hoping to hear soon if my husband gets a job promotion and we can move to a certain small Colorado mountain town that is gorgeous and peaceful and will feel like a little adventure for us! Here’s hoping!!

Stacy Dalton July 22, 2014 at 10:17 pm

I was just facebooking with a friend who just moved to Colorado. Manitou Springs! I love little Colorado towns. I hope everything works out for your family! Good luck!

Andie Mitchell August 3, 2014 at 10:55 am

Sara– best of luck!!! Colorado would be wonderful. I’ll be thinking of you.

Gina July 22, 2014 at 3:53 pm

So excited for your cookbook – good luck with writing! My parents live in Grand Cayman and my boyfriend and I were there in March – I hear you on eating, talking, reading & burning :) Great place to walk off all those fruity drink and seafood calories though!

Andie Mitchell August 3, 2014 at 10:56 am

Oh wow — they live there? That’s fantastic. Perfect for visits :)

Jillian July 22, 2014 at 4:04 pm

You look wonderful and so healthy! So glad you’re living it up!

Are your brother and sister-in-law South Shore people? I’m due in September and don’t know anyyyyone down here. Do they want to be me and baby’s (and husband’s) friends?! :)

Andie Mitchell August 3, 2014 at 10:58 am

Jillian — thank you so much!

No, my brother and sister-in-law aren’t on the South Shore, unfortunately. Wouldn’t that be nice? You’re due in September? Wow congratulations!! Do you know what you’re having? So exciting. Wishing you so many wonderful things.

Mandi July 22, 2014 at 4:04 pm

So excited to see a new blog post! You seem to have really found a home in New York. Me, I’m trying not to eat everything in the fridge and get some real work done :)

Andie Mitchell August 3, 2014 at 10:59 am

Mandi–I’m always working on not eating everything in my fridge. I hear you, sister. Hang in there.

sarah July 22, 2014 at 4:15 pm

Glad you are back! Missed your face.

Andie Mitchell August 3, 2014 at 11:00 am

Sarah, when the book comes out, I’ve got to make my way out to LA to meet you. Our long-distance love is too much :)

Gina July 22, 2014 at 4:34 pm

Such a fun update! Why do doughnuts always sound like a good idea at the most random hour! Nieces are so much fun, I only wish I lived closer to mine:)

Andie Mitchell August 3, 2014 at 11:01 am

Gina — don’t they? Doughnuts are anytime food. Hope you’re well, my friend. If you ever come to NYC, please let me know!

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic July 22, 2014 at 4:35 pm

I love this update! Glad to hear everything is going so well. Go Sox!

Andie Mitchell August 3, 2014 at 11:01 am

<3 Thanks B!

Sarah July 22, 2014 at 4:49 pm

Missed you! Is that weird? :)

I am so happy things are going so well for you!!! I have a niece, and let me tell you – its the best! Only hard thing is that I am in Chicago, and she is in Rhode Island. But she will be here for 3 weeks starting Sunday and I just cant wait!!!!

Andie Mitchell August 3, 2014 at 11:02 am

Sarah! Not weird at all. Not for gals like us.

I hope your time with your niece is amazing! xo

Reanna Pearson July 22, 2014 at 5:10 pm

Yay this post made my day!

Andie Mitchell August 3, 2014 at 11:03 am

Thanks Reanna!!

happy mom July 22, 2014 at 5:24 pm

Hi there, just wanted to tell you how useful and inspiring your website is! :) thank you for all that you post and your honesty!
i just started my new blog too: back2happymom.blogspot.com and I am so excited. thanks again!

Shelly July 22, 2014 at 5:26 pm

Glad to hear you’re doing well Andie! Love this update, and now I love you even more now knowing you’re a Pacey + Joey fan! ;) Glad to see you’re settling into NYC!

Andie Mitchell August 3, 2014 at 11:04 am

I really want to know who was Team Dawson. Don’t you?

Hope you’re having a great summer, Shell!

momtaxijulie July 22, 2014 at 5:28 pm

Ah to have a best friend like that. So awesome.

You look great and I love all your recipes :)

Andie Mitchell August 3, 2014 at 11:10 am

You’re the greatest, Julie!

Morgan July 22, 2014 at 7:17 pm

Aw I just love this! Thanks for letting us see a little bit into your every day :)

Andie Mitchell August 3, 2014 at 12:05 pm

Thanks Morgan!

Robin July 22, 2014 at 7:40 pm

No way! We just came home from Grand Cayman last night! When I saw your photo before I read the text accompanying it, I thought to myself, that looks JUST like Seven Mile Beach … and it was! Such a fantastic place.

Andie Mitchell August 3, 2014 at 12:06 pm

It’s beautiful there, isn’t it? Hope you enjoyed yourself!

Amy @ Thoroughly Nourished Life July 22, 2014 at 8:41 pm

Andie, I have friends like that too. My sister is one of them. I remember loving her with that same fierce protective flame before she was born, and it continues today even after she has walked down the aisle and ‘grown up’ (more than I have in some ways). Congratulations on nearly being an Aunty, that little girl is going to be so lucky to have you in her life.
New York, Grand Cayman, no matter where it is your adventures sound amazing, and I am seriously impressed by the Shriver Report – love that website and that one of my favourite bloggers works on it (that’s you by the way).
Keep livin’ like you’re livin’ Andie, you sound so happy :)

S B July 22, 2014 at 8:49 pm

Go Andie, have been waiting for the update, I check everyday even though I haven’t received my email to say you have updated yet! (Eager!) Congrats on your niece and hope the family is well. Saree.

Stacy Dalton July 22, 2014 at 10:19 pm

Lol! Me, too…waiting for the update!

Andie Mitchell August 3, 2014 at 12:06 pm

Thanks Saree! It means so much to know that you’re always here.

Katie @Glutes and Ladders July 23, 2014 at 1:38 am

I love it! I’m so glad to see you’re loving New York. Friends really are what make our lives worth living.

Andie Mitchell August 3, 2014 at 12:07 pm

Thanks Katie! It’s true: friendship is everything. The older I get the more I make my best friends my priorities.

Amanda Morey July 23, 2014 at 6:38 am

Hey Andie! It’s so great to see you doing well! This year I finally admitted the truth- I hate working out. I will always rather eat or drink some wine over working out, BUT since being active is so important I decided to change things up. I’ve made it my mission to find workouts that I like and to make it fun.So… I got hooked on hooping!!! It is so much fun, a great workout, and you can get a glitter hula hoop. What could be better?!

So glad to see your life is going well!

Andie Mitchell August 3, 2014 at 12:09 pm

Hooping sounds fun! I’ve never in my life been able to hoola hoop, but MAAAYBE I’ll try it, just for you. I love that you’ve realized you have to find some way of moving your body that doesn’t feel torturous. That’s the way.

JJ July 23, 2014 at 12:35 pm

So glad it’s going well! I love NYC and will live vicariously through you until I can visit it again.

Just popping into the comments to say, “please write that book!”. I think our female relationships are so important in this world where women tend to be played against one another. There is always an expected cattiness when two women in similar positions or social groupings interact…does that make sense? Instead of trying to be more powerful, smarter, prettier, funnier, etc, we need to appreciate each other and learn from one another. Look at Tina fey and Amy poehler (did I spell that right?). Two powerful and talented women and have been able to maintain what seems like a healthy long lasting relationship. This is what our world needs to see more of and strive toward! I’ll buy that book!

Tangent over. ;). Congrats on auntihood as well. Being an aunt is one of the best things about me! Love like never before.

All the best! Love it when you update your blog.

Andie Mitchell August 3, 2014 at 12:10 pm

Thanks so much, JJ!

I really would love to write more about relationships, and friendship specifically. Glad to hear it’d be supported :)

Cinnamon Vogue July 23, 2014 at 2:16 pm

Andie great work. Glad you are taking time out to enjoy yourself and work hard. And you are looking fabulous too. Lovely pictures.

Andie Mitchell August 3, 2014 at 12:10 pm

Thanks CV! Very kind of you

brittany July 23, 2014 at 2:46 pm

Where did you stay in Grand Cayman!? It looked absolutely amazing … and would love to plan a trip there!

Andie Mitchell August 3, 2014 at 12:11 pm

Hey Brittany — I stayed at the Marriott Grand Cayman

Rhonda July 23, 2014 at 6:30 pm

It’s so good to see you post again. I am glad to hear you are doing so well. Your two friends sound wonderful. You are going to love having a baby in the family. Be well and best wishes!

Andie Mitchell August 3, 2014 at 12:11 pm

What a kind comment, Rhonda. Thank you!

Hootie July 23, 2014 at 9:15 pm

That friendship book can make it a *trilogy* ;) xo

Andie Mitchell August 3, 2014 at 12:11 pm

xoxox H!

Erin M. July 24, 2014 at 6:02 am

I’m so happy for you! Congratulations!

Andie Mitchell August 3, 2014 at 12:12 pm

Thank you Erin!!

Rose July 24, 2014 at 7:08 am

Hi Andie, it’s Rose from Australia. I adored this post it’s so Andie-ish, full of bubbling goodwiil, love of experience and of people. I’m so delighted that New York is such a wonderful experience for you — I love the street photo because it’s just what I imagine NY to be. And I’m so thrilled about Sabrina, about who she is and what she means in your life.

Andie Mitchell August 3, 2014 at 12:12 pm

Rose, this is so kind. I love what you said about Sabrina, too. Thank you!

Laura @ My Friend's Bakery July 24, 2014 at 10:12 am

My life seems so boring compared to yours! Now I want to go to New York and Grand Cayman, and I definitely want someone, anyone, around me to have a baby too! lol
Thanks for the update and now I’m going to go bug my friends so we can go on vacation together!

Andie Mitchell August 3, 2014 at 12:13 pm

Thank you, Laura! My life is super boring; it just looks cool in these pictures :)

ciely July 24, 2014 at 11:02 am

Congraulations on your great job!
LOVE Maria Shriver…but
I never got the Arnold thing
Eww

Andie Mitchell August 3, 2014 at 12:13 pm

Thanks Ciely!

krystal July 24, 2014 at 12:31 pm

Where did you go in Grand Cayman? Was it all-inclusive?

Andie Mitchell August 3, 2014 at 12:14 pm

Hey Krystal,

I stayed at the Marriott Grand Cayman. Yes, we bought an all-inclusive package!

Rebekah July 24, 2014 at 2:18 pm

Andie, love the update! I’m always looking to see if you’ve posted about your life recently. Can’t wait for your book in January. I have pre-ordered it and am suggesting several friends to do the same!

Andie Mitchell August 3, 2014 at 12:14 pm

Rebekah, that means a ton. Thank YOU!

Alexis July 24, 2014 at 9:07 pm

Cheese For Dummies! That is beyond hilarious.

Andie Mitchell August 3, 2014 at 12:15 pm

All of the “Dummies” books are pretty great. :)

Rebekah July 24, 2014 at 9:11 pm

I also wanted to add that I would love for you to write that book! I have fallen in and out of so many friendships with my girlfriends. It makes me sad to think about the friends that have drifted away and makes me really appreciate the ones that have lasted. Great subject for your next book!

Ashley @ QLCC July 24, 2014 at 10:01 pm

I miss your frequent posts but I am so, so happy you’re doing well! And I want one of those Boston shirts sooo badly! <3

Andie Mitchell August 3, 2014 at 12:16 pm

Thanks Ash! Go to TJMaxx for the Sox shirt when you’re home!!

Kerry @ Snark & Pepper July 25, 2014 at 10:35 am

Loved hearing this update. NYC suits you! Your Grand Cayman trip looked incredible, do you mind me asking where you stayed? I want to go for the fresh juice alone.

Andie Mitchell August 3, 2014 at 12:16 pm

Thanks Kerry! I was at the Marriott Grand Cayman!

LN July 26, 2014 at 9:32 am

I am so happy that you sound so happy in this post and since moving to New York. And to become an aunt is such delightful news. Of course when your niece arrives in August you are her BFF. Congratulations to your mother, too. I know she must be happy on her way in becoming a grandmother. Hugs.

Andie Mitchell August 3, 2014 at 12:17 pm

You are so right, LN. Mom is thrilled. Thank you for such a kind comment!

Bea July 26, 2014 at 9:28 pm

Oh, the paucity with which you reveal relationships!

Daniel, gone, noted six months later in a line. (‘Twas your post on eating head of broccoli every night which got me hooked. That, and losing half your weight, over time, by changing your practices.)

Camille, exciting, flashing, darting in and out of you move back home with trips to Central America.

Sabrina…Maria Shriver’s work…your feet find fabulous footholds.

Best wishes for concrete, Andie

Eliza July 27, 2014 at 4:51 pm

You looks really fantastic, mmm summer.. Eliza

Andie Mitchell August 3, 2014 at 12:17 pm

Thanks Eliza!

Elana July 29, 2014 at 12:36 am

Congratulations on your new niece! Babies are the most amazing gift imaginable. Your picture of those fresh squeezed juices in the mason jars are so gorgeous. I don’t know what it is about Mason jars, but they always make whatever is inside them look a million times more delicious. I’ve been putting icy water with lime in mason jars and serving them to friends and clients all summer. So refreshing.

Andie Mitchell August 3, 2014 at 12:20 pm

Thanks Elana! I know — something about the charming, vintage vibe of mason jars instantly makes me like whatever I’m drinking more. Hope you’re having a great summer!

Nichole July 30, 2014 at 5:59 pm

Google + with Oprah?! That’s pretty amazing! So is all the other stuff in this post, but that one was like the “winner”, lol

Andie Mitchell August 3, 2014 at 12:20 pm

Mama Oprah is what I’ve started calling her, if that tells you anything :)

Roxy July 31, 2014 at 3:22 am

That’s a very nice over-all experience Andie! Glad you still managed everything despite your very busy schedule. I enjoyed reading your post, thanks for sharing!

Andie Mitchell August 3, 2014 at 12:21 pm

Thanks so much Roxy! Really kind of you!

katie @ running a ragnar August 1, 2014 at 2:05 pm

Can i just stop for a second and say how inspiring you are. I love reading your blogs and your posts. Posts like today made me smile and want to happy cry for you. I watched your TED talk and absolutely loved it. Posts like this are so positive, so upbeat and remind us of the important things in life. Friendship, living in the moment, and am I allowed to say food? Love your idea of your BFF trip to the Caymans and that book about friendship… WRITE IT. Sometimes women need a reminder that the most important relationship they need to maintain is their girlfriends.

Thanks Andy :)

Andie Mitchell August 3, 2014 at 12:21 pm

This is much too nice, Katie. Thank you!!

Lindsay August 7, 2014 at 12:54 am

Andie-

I have been reading your blog for about two years now, and I just think you’re the bee’s knees. I just watched your TED talk last night, and it, just like your writing, makes me feel like you’re a friend I’ve known forever. You’re gifted! I can’t wait to read your whole book cover to cover and share it with my friends. Best of luck to you in New York!

Maureen August 16, 2014 at 10:04 pm

Hi Andie,

I’ve been following your blog for a while now, and I’ve made lots of your recipes. Like a lot of people, I’ve struggled with my weight for years, but the way you talk about it, and the way you write, it’s very much like I have a perfectly nonjudgmental friend out there who I know gets it. Thank you for what you share, and all you do!

I’m also incredibly envious of your NYC life!! I can’t wait to see what you post about Autumn in New York!

Lesley August 21, 2014 at 5:02 pm

You’re so inspiring!!! Looking forward to your cookbook. I’ve seen how far you’ve come and it’s so great. Just the nudge I need. Congratulations to you!

Sabrina September 11, 2014 at 1:30 am

Hi Andie,

It’s great to hear how you’re doing. I’ve been following your blog for years and have made many of your delicious recipes. The banana cupcakes are a favorite! I’m looking so forward to your book being released. I also watched your TedTalk and thought it was fantastic! I moved to your home town Seattle last year and I’m loving it here:) Wishing you all the best!
Sabrina xo

Marijke Van Dornick September 26, 2014 at 12:46 pm

I stumbled across your blog by accident and I’m so glad I did! The recipes look wonderful, and I cannot wait to try some of them out this weekend. I found your site in Google which says you are “one the best weight loss blogs” and I have to agree! Thanks for this awesome site.