Minted Orzo Salad with Chickpeas and Feta

• 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
  • 3/4 cup finely chopped red onion
  • ½ cup chopped celery
  • 2 tablespoons fresh basil, finely chopped
  • 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, finely chopped

Red Wine Vinaigrette

• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 2 teaspoons honey
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • 2 cloves garlic
  1. Cook orzo in boiling chicken broth until tender. Drain and let cool slightly.
  2. Combine with chickpeas, feta, red onion, celery, basil, and mint in a large bowl. Set aside.
  3. Combine all vinaigrette ingredients in a blender and pulse until well combined and emulsified. Pour over the orzo salad and toss to coat. Serve at room temperature or chilled.

Nutrition Information for 1/6th of Entire Recipe: Calories 450, Total Fat 16.5 g, Total Carbohydrate 63.8 g, Dietary Fiber 5.6 g,  Sugars 3.8 g, Protein 15 g

Nutrition Information for 1/8th of Entire Recipe: Calories 340, Total Fat 12.4 g, Total Carbohydrate 47.9 g, Dietary Fiber 4.2 g, Sugars 2.9 g, Protein 11.3 g

katecooks June 7, 2012 at 11:29 am

last night i tried to make a simple mix up salad like this one (pearled barley, cucumber, roasted grape tomatoes, basil, kale and a peanut dressing) but something was a little off and it wasn’t my favorite combo. this looks great though – minus feta – but i bet goat cheese would be equally delicious!

Tammy June 7, 2012 at 12:32 pm

you are my new favorite person! high five for your weight loss and double high five for your tasty recipes and travel adventures.

Penelope June 7, 2012 at 2:52 pm

This looks wonderful! I’m growing 6 different types of mint in my garden…I’ll have to try a mixture of them in this recipe.

Patty June 8, 2012 at 5:12 am

This sounds so delicious! I love receiving your newsletters everyday :)

Sandra June 8, 2012 at 5:18 am

Congratulations on your weight loss, you have inspired me to try harder. which book would you recommend reading first or had the most impact on your journey, the salad looks great but I don’t see serving size or calorie count.

Divya June 8, 2012 at 7:20 am

This looks incredible – can’t wait to try it out!

Ashley Bee (Quarter Life Crisis Cuisine) June 8, 2012 at 7:22 am

Ohh yum. Mint is such a summer flavor to me. I remember my mom growing it in her garden and I would steal little bits to chew on. I once thought I could live off mint, if I ever needed to run away from home I’d just take a little mint plant with me.

Hehe good job on this, love the flavor combo.

*Andrea* June 8, 2012 at 6:57 pm

this looks like one of my favorite side dishes at whole foods’ salad bar. sooo glad i can recreate it now!!

Kelly June 9, 2012 at 7:53 am

Hey! I’ve just come across your blog from Pinterest. LOVE it! I now have it booked to my favorites and have been reading up for the last 30 minutes. Thanks so much for sharing your weight loss journey, the beautiful pictures, and these amazing photos of food! YUM

Melody Campbell June 9, 2012 at 10:40 pm

Made this for dinner tonight – it was a really big hit! Thank you for sharing.

Sonal June 10, 2012 at 5:53 am

Hii, i find your story so, so inspiring! Well done! I will definitely be trying this soon :)

Leanne@Around the Table June 12, 2012 at 9:21 am

yum!!!! I love easy salads with packed flavor!!!

Kati Mora, MS, RD, Kellogg's FiberPlus(R) Wellness Advocate June 13, 2012 at 7:22 am

This looks very refreshing and delicious! Chickpeas are one of my favorite fiber-licious foods, but I wouldn’t have thought of pairing them with mint. Love it!

Stacie @ Snaps and Bits June 14, 2012 at 6:25 pm

Looks.so.delicious!! I have been doing a juice cleanse for 3 days and drooling over food (which I will eat again tomorrow, yay!)

Katie June 15, 2012 at 9:51 am

I just made this and it was delicious! Perfect for a summer afternoon. Thank you for this great recipe!

Jodie June 15, 2012 at 11:47 am

looks great! how many servings is this? I want to serve it for my in law this week and want to know if should double the recipe or not.

Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy June 16, 2012 at 8:20 pm

looks delicious! i love that combo of flavors!

Katie June 17, 2012 at 10:48 am

I made this on friday and it was DELICIOUS! thank you! I served it to 6 people to go along with our meal, and there was still some left over. YUM, I will definitely make this again this summer.

Gina June 18, 2012 at 11:43 am

I am eating this salad over salad as I type…yum, yum! I’ll be adding this to the rotation:)

Kylie @ immaeatthat June 18, 2012 at 12:09 pm

Love the idea of putting this over a leafy green salad! My family will be eating that tonight! Great thinking:)

Amy June 23, 2012 at 8:35 pm

Can I find the mint leaves at the grocery store? Or do I have to go to a special market for them?

admin June 23, 2012 at 9:06 pm

Hey! Yes, you can find mint leaves at nearly all large grocery stores :)

Lani July 3, 2012 at 5:48 pm

I NEVER make recipes from blogs, just pin them for fun in the hopes that someday I’ll try them. I made this, and it was OUT of this world. Reminded me of a lot of the age-old Armenian recipes we make with mint. Now I’m brining it to all my family get togethers – thank you!!

Amanda @ Live. Laugh. Learn. July 14, 2012 at 10:28 am

This looks amazing! We have basil and mint growing here at home and I can’t wait to try this!

Alexandra Surman August 10, 2012 at 1:54 pm

I have just made this and it is really delicious!! All my favourite things! Will post a link from my blog.

Candice August 12, 2012 at 10:34 pm

I stumbled across this recipe on Pinterest and made it for a pot luck today and it got rave reviews! Thank you for the wonderful salad recipe a friend of mine will now be taking it to her next party next weekend!

LauraJ October 29, 2012 at 10:25 am

My husband is not a fan of celery, does it effect the taste much if you leave it out?

Ellen December 30, 2012 at 2:27 am

have been looking for the receipe and now found it/ will make it today- sounds wonderful

Angie February 1, 2013 at 2:42 am

This recipe was under vegetarian, but has chicken broth in it. Suggestions on a replacement? I’d like to try it cuz it sounds yummy!!!

admin February 1, 2013 at 8:52 am

Ohh, gosh, good point Angie! Sorry about that. Try substituting vegetable broth instead!

Kim March 11, 2013 at 4:39 pm

My new favorite dish! Doubled garbanzo beans, added tons if mint & loved it! Will try with different grains for added fiber/nutrients. Many thanks!

Katie March 12, 2013 at 5:31 am

This looks delicious! I would love to make this for an upcoming event, how many does this serve?
Thanks!

Andie March 12, 2013 at 11:44 am

Hey Katie,

It serves 6!

ML Bishop March 13, 2013 at 9:29 am

I found your blog and this recipe on Pinterest and I made it last night—LOVE IT! The best salad ever. Thank you so much for a new favorite!

Mademoiselle Gravelle March 13, 2013 at 10:45 pm

Sure would like caloric info consistently . U have great ideas. It’s not that hard to do but, it may mean the difference in wanting to try recipe…..thanks for all u do!

Andie March 14, 2013 at 1:57 pm

I understand and I thank you. I just added the nutrition info for this recipe above, if that helps for now. As a personal assignment, I’m working on going back and editing older recipes to include the nutrition in nearly all of them.

I appreciate you being here,

Kathy May 30, 2013 at 8:44 pm

Made this tonight for dinner. Hubby loved it! Great salad.

Megan September 1, 2013 at 1:03 pm

I am not a cook at all, but had to bring a dish to a friend’s potluck yesterday. So, I made this one – and it was a HUGE hit! Everyone kept raving about it. I think it’s the dressing that really nails it. So great. Thank you!

FYI for other readers: I substituted vegetable broth for the chicken, and goat cheese for the feta. Equally delicious.

DessertForTwo November 13, 2013 at 8:11 pm

I made this, and it’s terrific! Thanks for a great recipe! I subbed fresh cilantro for the basil, and as a result, the mint+cilantro tastes like dill. So good! :)

Gayle February 15, 2014 at 4:30 pm

This looks absolutely delicious! I can’t wait to make it this weekend!

mey February 18, 2014 at 7:57 pm

I substituted the orzo for quinoa (you can also use couscous) and it’s equally delicious. Great one this recipe!

Tim February 23, 2014 at 9:34 pm

I just made this. It’s fantastic. Feels a little more like a summer salad but it’s February in Connecticut and I am dreaming of warm sunny days. Thank you for the inspiration, it fits in my diet plan and exercise efforts and it’s delicious !

Amy April 3, 2014 at 8:42 pm

Can I make this the night before to serve the next day?

Michele July 23, 2014 at 11:18 pm

What is the name of your blog?